Lafarge North America Reviews | Glassdoor

Lafarge North America Reviews

Updated December 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is good , peaceful environment to work ,friendly co-workers and offers a decent package (in 6 reviews)

• Diversity, great people, teamwork (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • More often than not, worked long hours without compensation or recognition - not to get ahead, just to get things done (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management is always shaking up the lower management and with constant manager changes comes inexperience (in 4 reviews)

"Treasury Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Lafarge North America part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Before the merger it was a great group of people to work with. Good managers who offered flexibility and growth.

Cons

After the merger many of the satellite offices closed including my local office and the corporate culture seems to have changed.

Advice to Management

Value the employees that have been with the both merged companies of the years and offer flexible schedules for happy employees.

2. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They we high on safety, every quarter you would get a safety bonus if there was no safety issues. They really strived to make safety their number one priority.

Cons

A lot of heavy lifting and during the winter it slowed down, but you still would work out in the cold.

"If you need the job..."

Pros

They will pay you reasonably well and there are some folks you will enjoy meeting. There is opportunity to learn about a unique industry.

Cons

I would consider working here only if you need the income badly. Your work experience is not thoughtfully considered and it will be sacrificed if there is benefit in doing so now questions. For example everyone was switched to high deductible health plans to save the company money.

There is a lot of nepotist (favoritism toward family) behaviors and upward mobility is lacking for those not connected to others in high places. Please understand that there system is not meritocracy and will not reward talent above connections.

Management in the company is not settled due to the merger. A lot of folks have left or would like to leave. If you are talented you should find a place that will be rewarding for your talents.

Also there are some hints of ethical issues within the company. For example the company is dedicated towards a hiring quota for gender balancing reasons in Europe where this company is based, and has pushed the Woman's Task Force (WTF) objectives to the US. Hiring quotas are illegal. Also some of their marketing schemes for "additional" revenue generation are in my opinion dishonest.

Advice to Management

Nothing that I would use this forum to deliver with the hope of it being openly received and thoughtfully considered.

4. "Be wary of working for this company."

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I spent a year working for this company. I learned computer skills and programs which will help me for years to come. I developed a drive and an independent work ethic that makes me an exponentially more valuable employee and person. I made connections with some very genuine people, good-hearted and driven people. I got to travel to some places I had never been and see some things I never would have otherwise.
    Finally, I learned that I didn't need an impressive resume or a quick climb up the career ladder to feel proud of my efforts and success in life.

Cons

There is no mentorship within this company. Everyone, at every level, is overworked, and you will not find any help laterally or above you. You will be constantly disrespected by management.

You will work excessive hours with no compensation and still be told you're not doing enough.

I can't discuss the specifics of my history with this company, as my first review was too detailed, but in addition to a hostile work environment, you may be ordered to make some very unethical edits and changes in regards to money.

Advice to Management

Remember that employees are what make up your company. Do not marginalize, micro-manage, or abuse the people who work for you, or they will leave and your company will suffer.

Be wary of the toxic environment created by some individuals in your company. I had a coworker once brag to me how much he and our supervisor enjoyed conflict, and liked undermining the authority of employees in other parts of the country.
    At this point, I would strongly advise anyone against working for this company, or working under it as a hauler carrier.

5. "Logistics"

Former Employee - Logistics in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Logistics in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lafarge North America (More than a year)

Pros

Global company, lots of travel, big time operations

Cons

Big changes with a merger. Company always changing directions

Advice to Management

Get a long term strategy.

6. "Strategy Intern"

Pros

Worked on a variety of projects and had the opportunity to work with many experienced members of multiple departments.

Cons

The cement industry may not be too exciting to some people.

"Merger Mayhem"

Pros

There are currently no pros for working for Lafarge. If other jobs are available, you should take them.

Cons

Since 2012, the Company has drastically gone downhill with constant cost-cutting measures, benefits have been getting cut left and right. In 2015, Lafarge and Holcim merged to create LafargeHolcim. This have gone even further downhill since then. The merger has been incredibly mishandled, policies are still being figured out months after the mergers completion, and information has not been shared with employees. Morale is at an all time low

Advice to Management

Keep employees updated on changes being made and what they can expect in the future so they want to stay and do their best for you.

8. "Scale operator; admin assistant"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant; Scale Operator in West Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant; Scale Operator in West Seattle, WA

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My work hours were great 6am to 2:30pm Saturday is optional and it's all overtime!

Cons

Opportunities for growth within the company is very limited, they usually don't hire within the company.

Advice to Management

I would have to say, don't undervalue your employees

"General Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Big company with lots of resources, great training opportunities and the work force is diversified.

Cons

Has been in "crisis" mode for many/many years. Very very slow in cutting costs when markets turned bad and didn't quickly improve. Capital funding is either feast or famine, isn't consistent and often senior management asks about ways to finance purchases as if there isn't money for next weeks payroll. The overhead costs are enormous. Too many Vice Presidents, Presidents, North American shared service expenses are high and yet bonuses for the GM level and above are great. Internally, profits are sucked up to aggregates and cement through arbitrarily high transfer pricing from concrete and asphalt and then they ask why the latter two aren't making enough money. People were the most important assets until they realized that terminating defined benefit pension plan would produce one time earnings benefit to the tune of many tens of millions.

Advice to Management

A lot less layers of management above the operating level. Stop looking down your nose at concrete and asphalt businesses. If you truly just care about cement and aggregates, dump the other two and the culture of working at the company will improve.

10. "Director, Human Resources"

Former Employee - Regional Human Resources Director in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Regional Human Resources Director in Denver, CO

I worked at Lafarge North America (More than 5 years)

Pros

Progressive, generous, fair and compassionate company.

Cons

I can not think of any cons at the moment.