Lafarge North America Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 27, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Upper management is always shaking up the lower management and with constant manager changes comes inexperience (in 4 reviews)

• This results in less job security than you would expect from such a large company (in 3 reviews)

1. "It's a wonderful place to work."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Bogalusa, LA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Bogalusa, LA

I have been working at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good safety training,pays good,training good,benafits good,employee are great

Cons

Work can get slow at times

"Absence of Career advancement opportunities"

Current Employee - Performance Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Performance Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has great people

Cons

The environment suffers from 5 years of cutbacks, politics versus performance culture focused on Optics

Advice to Management

Focus culture on performance, reward learning from mistakes over optics

3. "Great company , big jobs means a lot of $"

Current Employee - Driver in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Driver in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lot of home time when it rains, but you can make a weeks pay in two days on a big job.

Cons

No minimum pay for rainy week, which somtimes can hurt if you dont save for rainy days.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work saftey first great driver manager very involved in driver saftey

4. "Good company but could be better."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Lafarge North America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great management. Lot of down to earth people who don't bother you as long as you do what you are supposed to do.

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement.

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities and training that would result in more internal promotions.

5. "Encouraged and Appreciated"

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Denver, CO

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I was always encouraged and appreciated for my Executive Assistance work at Lafarge NA in the Aggregates Division. I was given opportunity to serve on committees outside my area, which assisted greatly in my growth as an Executive Assistant and also provided the variety to keep me excited about my work.

Cons

They (Lafarge NA) hung on to managers that were rude, demanding, and demeaning to other employees -- not necessarily his charges, either. Lafarge should have let him go. This cause low morale within all areas.

Advice to Management

Be aware of the affect negative management has on those serving him or her. Negativity has a definite impact on work production and morale.

6. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In order to move up the ladder you have to move to different locations. Unfortunately most of the location are not located near a large metropolitan city. Your career is what you make of it.

Cons

In big plants you are expected to work more than 40 hours.

7. "One of the best companies to work for. Retain employees for a long time. Respect safety of employee."

Former Employee - Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable environment with room to grow. Large organization to learn from. Lafarge has a nice salary structure and health benefits package. The company values safety more than many others and although the process of working safely for some is a pain in the rear, I welcomed it.

Cons

Not many. A down or slow economy creates a "doom and gloom" atmosphere and "do more with less" attitude, but most all industries will experience the same. The cement manufacturing & distribution industry is like a roller coaster ride.

Advice to Management

None.

8. "Poor communication between France and America"

Former Employee - Plant Manager in North Metro, GA
    Former Employee - Plant Manager in North Metro, GA

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Outstanding Company, that produced high tech products.
    Poor management forced the company, in the Denver area to its knees. Lots of potential from previous employees that were unsatisfied and moved on.

Cons

Great insurance benefits, none can be surpassed working for Lafarge. They really knew how to take care of their people for long haul.
    Unfortunate that the company was sold in 2011 to Martin Marietta, or should I say Suburban. Lots of the employees who quit Lafarge between 2006 and 2010 returned under Suburban to supervise the entire front range. This company is doing well now (Martin) but will fail under the same management.

Advice to Management

Spend time in the field, and realize each market area is different. Don't rely on management's opinion for the complete operation. Communicate with workers more, they are your frontline information source.

9. "Excellent career & learning experience"

Former Employee - Maintenance Coordinator in Joppa, IL
    Former Employee - Maintenance Coordinator in Joppa, IL

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 10 years)

"Deteriorating infrastructure"

Former Employee - Safety Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Safety Advisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Lafarge North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good hard working people. Accepts change easily. They historically have been able to take practically nothing and make something of it.

Cons

Management is somewhat snobbish. New management pushed out most of the knowledgeable experienced managers and replaced with a good buddy system that rewards each other. They sell an idea that they can do it better by quickly identifying what's wrong and are quick to implement a new system instead of fixing or improving on what is already in place and then move on. Company has been cash strapped for a while. Much of the asset equipment is deteriorating. They are shrinking in the US.

Advice to Management

Build on the infrastructure that is in place. There are no more quick fixes, look to make steady improvements. You have launch enough programs its time to take a few of the older ones, dust them off and try to build on them. Hire experienced people in their job profession. Your computer filing systems, department documentation systems are week non existent. Try to reward the individuals that can take what already in place, use it, and are willing to improve on it.