Lafarge Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lafarge Président-Directeur Général Bruno Lafont
Bruno Lafont

Pros
  • Big company, nice people, health and safety as a value (in 8 reviews)

• Good hours, a lot of good benefits, a prettt good wage, a really good working atmosphere, friendly coworkers (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours, Paperwork, Holidays, Training, Work-Life balance (in 8 reviews)

• The pace of decision making is slow; internal moves across the different business lines need stronger focus (in 9 reviews)

"Business environment"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Lafarge full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The talent and value the employees offer is very strong

Cons

Leadership is transitioned from strong to weak with a focus on political optics to sustain employement

Advice to Management

Focus on performance, teamwork and critical positive environment supporting and recognizing employees whom provide 100% effort .

2. "Strong International company"

Pros

Solid broad global footprint with operations in major countries around the world. continues to invest globally and recently merged with holcim

Cons

industrial focus.. the management is extremely bottomline focused and need to invest more in their brands. Absolute chaos and neglet in some local operations. need to invest more on people

Advice to Management

invest more on the local people. you have a great product and you should penetrate communites with your products

"Not the great company it once was"

I worked at Lafarge full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most senior management is surprisingly uninterested and/or unknowledgeable of the actual business so they tend to be hands off. The wages are competitive and the plant operations are generally based in relatively low cost, rural parts of the country so the income is good for operations, unless you work in the Chicago office.

Cons

Lots of turnover in management with little long term job stability without multiple relocations. Work/life balance is not a priority. Senior management often uses intimidation to get results to support their excessive bonus structure. There are zero long term strategies in place as every effort is to make it to the next quarter and ultimately the year end goal. I'd avoid joining the company at this time as lots more head count reductions are upcoming. So far it's mostly the Lafarge employees that are getting the axe as Holcim is clearly in charge. They have have a bad morale problem for many years now and that's probably just going to get worse.

Advice to Management

The damage has already been done, and quite honestly management is still wondering if they have jobs so my only advise would be to try to rebuild the trust once the dust settles.

"They're falling apart"

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Lafarge full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lafarge offered good benefits like a company vehicle, insurance, and pay was OK. Formerly dominated the building materials market.

Cons

You only get training if you're deemed high potential. Bad relationships amongst co-workers. A lot of management is not transparent. Talk a good game, but don't follow through. If you work your butt off it may not matter.

Advice to Management

Be more upfront about what's happening. You're not breeding a good work enthronement.

"The cement industry is in tough times, Lafarge payscale shows it."

Pros

Your objectives and bonus are set for you by management.

Cons

The industry is in bad shape and what used to be higher paid positions are now well below the norm. They can't keep squeezing forever. The talent loss will become great in the next few years.

Advice to Management

The cement industry is not for most people in general. At the plant level it is very hard work and not in the best of environments, hot, dusty, dirty, long hours. The compensation used to be there but not now.

6. "Truck driver & loader operator"

Pros

The money is good, the job is good,,BUT management is NOT so good since Lafarge took over Standard Aggregates ( Red-D-Mix),,Joe Durham was the BEST plant manager & boss they had, When Joe died of a heart attack his son Kim took over & was just as good to the employees as Joe was,When Lafarge took over their management took over & it ALL went to crap,,Too bad,,it WAS a good place to work for at ONE time,,,

Cons

Management has a tendancy to pressure drivers & outside plant workers until there is a confrontation,,I got hurt in 1989( got hand caught in conveyor) but never lost a day of work, got hurt again a year later ( beam fell on me while working on a conveyor) & nobody there because boss ( Bob Bezaire) took other employee who was helping me to another job site ( our competitor Dunn Paving) and I never lost time at work( just light duty) for a week & then boss AGAIN left me alone while unloading a boat of stone & when I went to release the cable on bullhead it whipped up & flipped me, dislocating my shoulder & doing severe soft tissue damage which left me with irrepairable damage causing me to stop work completely Not once did they ever offer me a light duty job & I was forced to go on compensation for the rest of my life. I was never given any pension money when I retired, I feel I was wrongly treated at Lafarge especially since I was a faithful & reliable employee all the time I was there,,I would get up at 1 or 2 am to receive ships coming in with aggregate even though I worked 10 hrs before on the same day.

Advice to Management

Il know a few drivers STILL working there who tell me they have worked there too long now to quit & are almost ready for retirement & can`t wait til that day. Others have taken up employment elsewhere where they are greatly appreciated & doing the same job. Lafarge will be ALL owned by the mob ( Coco Paving) eventually & I can see where the union will be dissolved & it will be a low paying , hard working job for all...

7. "VIce President"

Former Employee - Vice President in Jakarta (Indonesia)
    Former Employee - Vice President in Jakarta (Indonesia)

I worked at Lafarge (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots challenges, good team and employee environment, great medical and pension package

Cons

Lots of subjective decision from mgmt

8. "Industrial Relations Manager"

Former Employee - Industrial Relations Manager in Paris (France)
    Former Employee - Industrial Relations Manager in Paris (France)

I worked at Lafarge (More than a year)

Pros

For the time I was in there I can not tell something good

Cons

To far from home, little operation, senior management making a lot of operations

9. "Executive Internal Auditor"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Lahore (Pakistan)
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Lahore (Pakistan)

I have been working at Lafarge full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Its big construction firm , i have learnt a lot from the cement sector .

Cons

yes its good for new commers

Advice to Management

Their employees are their assets

"Senior Officer System Admin"

Former Employee - Senior Officer Systems Administrative in Chennai (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Officer Systems Administrative in Chennai (India)

I worked at Lafarge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All Plant are working based on their own potentials, management only asked profit, collection, and orders, but not supported directly, and not asked any assistance to you want, they blame the plant employees, they hide the unsafe incident and give more important for self only

Cons

Management Contact meeting and give freedom to speak and give a chance to work independently, only control and watch the plant employees not interrupted their daily actives,

Advice to Management

In any problem arise in plant please asked employees individually and give chance to proof it