Lafayette 148 New York Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Field and Market Coordinator
    Current Employee - Field and Market Coordinator

I have been working at Lafayette 148 New York part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very high ratio of female employees. Very down to earth executives.

Cons

I have no cons to add.

2. "MEAN GIRLS THE SEQUEL"

I have been working at Lafayette 148 New York full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good facade of a company that knows what they are doing. If you learn to be a "yes person" and keep your mouth shut, you will suceed.

Cons

Way too many cooks in the kitchen here. Numerous times I have experienced and seen my staff be given a project with a short deadline. Then when the project is completed ahead of short deadline be asked to scrap and change said project over 5 times before the short deadline is over. Meanwhile more projects are coming in so you are constantly overloaded with work and then being asked to change what was originally requested only because the idea hadn't been flushed out yet between the 5-6 people who all get a say on approval. Besides being unprofessional and a waste of time this "keep changing the project" system, allows HR to sit you down and recommend that you and your staff be more "proactive". When you explain to HR you and your team's actions within the ridiculous system, they purse their lips and encourage you to do better BECAUSE they are friends with the CEO. Besides HR being extremely one sided, it is high school all over again within upper management.
    At times I feel like I'm living in a Mean Girls sequel. I have seen grown adults gang up on each other and supportive staff just because they don't like them. The women are catty and have been known make fun of one another based on their clothes (THAT THE COMPANY PRODUCES!) or styling choice. Way to support each other ladies. I have witnessed a VP sabotage a work trip and in order to gossip and blame an assistant just to get them fired, since they didn't like him. I have also seen VPs lie in meetings multiple times about what they said or did just to save themselves and then get praised for a job well down.
    This might be OK if the managers actually knew what they were doing. A lot of the "Mean Girls" were promoted over time, not skill, and they lack the skills on how to manage projects and employees. I guess that's what happens when the CEO hires all their friends to be VPs.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your friends and hire competent people who don't have a problem saying no to you when you're obviously wrong. HR should able to listen and help the employees and not always take the CEO's side.

"Worse day to day"

I worked at Lafayette 148 New York full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Casual dress code, located close to trains, generously lavish approach to sales/selling.

Cons

Upper management, "HR", professionalism, Removed from reality attitude, lack of overall kindness

Advice to Management

Do something or don't do anything. 95% of current managers lack basic problem solving/ planning & communication skills. Managers are promoted based on time instead of skill. HR needs a complete overhaul.

STOP hiring individuals who are unqualified or relatives because they physically look the part. Most employees are women who feel entitled to everything from anyone & thrive on drama. They gang up and target anyone who doesn't fit in. Lots of gossipy cliques that VPs and management encourage and foster environments for them to manifest in. The disheartening part is the HR department will do anything to discredit a complaint against the in crowd/cool kids. But if I were the head of HR at my close friends company would I be biased too?

There are employees who could take the company so far, but their potential is overshadowed by factors that shouldn't matter. The company is not set up to support true talent and a positive team morale.

4. "Great Company"

Pros

Awesome people, great clothes, good experience

Cons

no cons about my experience at this company

"Some growing pains but solid company overall"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Lafayette 148 New York full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Potential for growth and exposure to various aspects of fashion. Believes in sustainability and charitable initiatives. Some very amazing and talented employees. An evolving company culture. Highly respectable CEO that cares about the company.

Cons

Middle management - some are great and others are in desperate need of training. Some (not all) VPs seem overwhelmed by their workload and/or are given tasks that fall outside their expertise. This can be especially frustrating for perfectly capable employees who understand what needs to be done but cannot b/c some of these VPs micro-manage without proper expertise or strategy.

Advice to Management

Invest in more managerial training -- this should be a more consistent training (versus a 1-day workshop). Teach your VPs to hire/train the right people and trust them to do their jobs without micro-managing.

6. "nice workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brickell Hammock, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brickell Hammock, FL

I have been working at Lafayette 148 New York part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nice enviroment to work on

Cons

not really any cons in here

Advice to Management

keep up with the ggod work

"sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Lafayette 148 New York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

pretty offices, comfortable atmosphere, room for growth, hire from within

Cons

higher management does not know what they are doing since the company tends to hire friends and family instead of qualified new people. very disorganized and little direction from managers, HR is a atrotious and no assistance with any time of problems you present them. low wages and upper management does not listen to any other opinions, they will only do what they want to do in the end, it does not matter what kind of facts you present them. a lot of people tend to have 7 hour work days with 4 day work weeks.

Advice to Management

stop putting all the responsibilities on to one person. listen to the people who are actually doing the work.

8. "Off Price Account Executive"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Lafayette 148 New York full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A friendly, family like environment. Non Political environment, you get credit for your hard work and they don't hold any positive or negative feedback to themselves and wait for a year to tell you.

Cons

Can get a little Chaotic, But it depends on the person.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job of keeping your employees happy, Keep up!

9. "Intern"

Pros

-Got to work with a few different departments
    -Always had projects to work on
    -My manager was very understanding

Cons

-I didn't see any opportunities for growth

10. "Great learning internship"

Pros

Nice people, let me learn about what I was interested in, got to watch fashion shoots

Cons

Sometimes ran out of work