Lagoon Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 8, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Lagoon Review (Ticketing)"

Former Employee - Ticketing in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Ticketing in Farmington, UT

I worked at Lagoon part-time

Pros

Easy entry level job great for experience

Cons

Scheduling and hours can be improperly done

Advice to Management

Ensure promotions, marketing, and discounts are clearly and specifically defined

2. "Could've been better"

Former Employee - Ride Attendant in Kaysville, UT
    Former Employee - Ride Attendant in Kaysville, UT

I worked at Lagoon part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get free entrance to the theme park, you'll learn different people skills, how management systems work, and how to maintain a work schedule

Cons

Schedule not flexible at all, the job's only seasonal, getting time off is nearly impossible, as is trying to have someone trade shifts or have someone take yours. The upper management isn't very involved in the actual work in the park.

Advice to Management

Be on time, be enthusiastic, and be patient with the management and the guests

3. "Pretty good job for a teenager"

Former Employee - Lifeguard in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Lifeguard in Farmington, UT

I worked at Lagoon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working as a lagoon lifeguard can be fun at times, and has amazing management. Lots of opportunities to make friends with fellow lifeguards. A great job if you like to work hard and feel responsible. Very flexible schedules.

Cons

The days can be hot, long, boring, and/or very stressful. You never know when you're going to have to deal with an angry customer or get stuck at a pool trying to keep track of a hundred people.

Advice to Management

Keep being as involved as you can with the lifeguards and don't just stand there even if there's nothing to do.

5. "Ride Operator (Catapult an Skyride)"

Former Employee - Ride Operator (Crew E: Catapult and Skyride) in Farmington, UT

I worked at Lagoon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

(For Every Lagoon employee) Company parties every month or so, sometimes free merchandise at these parties, 20% discount on merchandise, Discount on X-venture Zone rides, food is good but cheep in the employee kitchen, 95% of customers were nice. You could play at the park any day , or after your shift, for free. $1 bonus for every hour you work (however you MUST stay till the end of the season to get the bonus), if you are granted a Star coin (good luck unless you're friends with a coordinator or you luck out and get a decent coordinator) you can get a free meal at Subway or Arby's, a free hat, or a free ride on one of the X-venture Zone rides (not sure if Double Thunder Raceway is included) Supervisors will give you a rain poncho when it rains, when hiring for Frightmares employee's get first pick if they want to transfer (but must get coordinator approval....(approval not likely if you work on Catapult or Skyride because employees on those rides are very limited), your name tag works like a debit card in the employee kitchen (no where else though) MOST EMPLOYEES DO NOT KNOW THIS- BUT YOU CAN *BUY* THE GAME PRIZES AT THE GAME'S OFFICE IF THEY HAVE ENOUGH IN STOCK!!!! You get a family pass that can take up to 8 other people for about $15 each, Plus a free parking pass every month.

(For Catapult and Skyride) during training you can ride both rides for free several times, less customers, small back rooms you could hide your stuff in (you technically weren't supposed to) pretty relaxed when customers aren't riding (which is actually often in comparison to the rest of the park because you must pay to ride these rides) Catapult and Skyride are very close to the employee entrance from employee parking!! (Saves you A TON of time if you are running late), Plus, they aren't far from the employee kitchen.
         If there's lightening in the area for a certain period of time, you get sent home. (It's highly rare though)

Cons

Park wide: Ride operators NEVER get to sit, minimum wage pay ($7.50 per hr.), little opportunity for advancement or promotion, you are 200% disposable and can be replaced with the snap of a finger plus the job is only seasonal....so they get away with quite a bit of employee health hazards (Don't need to put too much concern on your heath, don't need to put up proper shading, etc.) You pay for literally EVERYTHING. Your uniform (you can turn it back in when you quit to get the $20 back for the shirt) 100+ degree's outside and you need a drink? You pay for it. Buy a drink? MUST be in a lagoon issued mug. You have to buy it. You buy your food or bring your own. Freezing outside and want to wear a jacket? MUST be Lagoon issued jacket with "Lagoon" on it.
         You can't buy anything in the shops in uniform (even if you desperately need it like sunscreen- but sometimes the cashiers are cool and will let you) If you want to wear a hat, it not only needs to be a Lagoon issued hat, it must have lagoon written on it (found out the hard way), hats you can buy in Employee office have less variety and are more expensive than if you were to buy it in one of the shops with 20% discount (that's right. You don't get 20% discount if you buy it in the employee office. It's stupid.)
              You can only stay in the first aid sick room for 30 min. before you are either kicked out (doesn't matter if you're puking from heat sickness which is excruciatingly common during summer for employees or freezing because you have circulation problems and the guests can't understand a word you are saying and grow so concerned about you they complain so you can finally go to first aid) or are (unlikely) sent home,
         you can be standing for 10-12 hours the first days/weeks of the season, Gossip and rumors about employee's in your crew/department spread like fire. (However, Lagoon keeps a tight lid on what leaks to the guests and media....I've seen guys arrested, fights have broken out, and then somebody was busted for carrying weed, somebody set a few arson fires before.......and someone has literally defecated behind Catapult, and another by the Ferris Wheel. Thankfully though, as rides, you don't need to clean other people's poop!)
         If it's a friggen rainstorm and no one is riding the rides, you're expected to clean the ride, the ride enclosure, and sweep the floors that virtually have NO debris on them. (Yes, you do look as ridiculous as washing a car outside during a rainstorm, and raking invisible leaves.)

Catapult and Skyride only: must be 18+ in order to work on them, (in my case) my Supervisors/Coordinators (Save maybe 1) were always negative, never gave any praise, only pointed out what anyone was doing wrong, constantly failed to give rewards to employees in case of crew competitions, didn't show next to any concern for you or your safety when it could get them in trouble (Had allergic reaction, was given something like Benedrill, got extremely tired and dizzy...felt like I was going to fall over, called Supervisor, sat down a minute, Supervisor demands I stand back up.) I had a supervisor report me to a manager on my 1st day that I was constantly touching the merchandise (I told him I only touched it once because I didn't know I wasn't supposed to and a different supervisor told me not to and I never did it again. The manager didn't believe me, and just told me not to do it again.) I had a coordinator wright me up for "taking my eyes off the ride" but you're allowed to do that on Catapult. when going over the details with another coordinator to verify the situation, he called the first one ....and he changed his reason for writing me up. Had another supervisor (not over my crew) give me her assignment when I was already cleaning around the park, then gave me broken and useless cleaning equipment, then returned and got angry that I wasn't finished doing *her* assignment. In short, LOTS of BS from anyone higher than standard employee (but those were my supervisors/coordinators. As far as I know though....they all still work there.)
                It's very likely you will often stay after the park is closed, still giving people in line rides. Why? Because these people are willing to pay to ride. I've been kept 30 min. to 45 min. after closing before. Customers are stupid and don't know what "I need you to take EVERYTHING out of your pockets and put them in this box, or give them to a non-rider." means. Have had people take out cellphones after we got them all strapped in on Catapult, and even had a guy drop a lighter (which exploded on impact) and his cigarettes. I've even seen sunglasses and headbands go flying.
           When it is raining and even when lightning gets you kicked out of the ride enclosure Lagoon will keep you there. For HOURS. Even with the lack of riders- effectively wasting a lot of time for you.

Advice to Management

GET YOURSELVES TOGETHER. Buy proper shades for your employee's so they're not constantly getting heat stroke, quit allowing your supervisors and coordinators to treat those beneath them like dirt,

6. "Rides Division Team Lead"

Current Employee - Rides Team Lead in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Rides Team Lead in Ogden, UT

Pros

- Cheap food
    - Awesome customers
    - Get on to park free

Cons

- Terrible pay
    - Harsh and abusive management
    - The owner is like Mr. Krabs, doesn't want his money taken
    - Has teens working too hard for a crappy pay

Advice to Management

- Raise your pay so I don't feel like an indentured servant

7. "Foods service employee"

Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Food Service Worker in Farmington, UT

I worked at Lagoon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a decent job for a 14/15 year old, management was friendly, interview was very easy, had good benefits like employee discounts and a free season pass (for you)

Cons

It was a long ways away from my home, pay was minimal, not an enjoyable job, terrible working schedule expect to be sent home early very often especially if you are a 14/15 year old

8. "Landscaping tech"

Former Employee - Landscaping Tech in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Landscaping Tech in Farmington, UT

I worked at Lagoon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was nice to be outside working with plants and watching the rides. That's about it. Good starter job I guess.

Cons

Horrible management, the owner isn't nice, sometimes you get barely any hours, they think getting in free to the park makes up for them actually paying you well. Not a good job or summer job from my experience but I stuck it out.

Advice to Management

You own lagoon......get over yourself.

9. "Long repetitious work."

Former Employee - Rides Management Employee in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Rides Management Employee in Farmington, UT

I worked at Lagoon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment
    Work with kids
    Made friends

Cons

Extremely long hours
    Low pay
    Very small management for large workforce

Advice to Management

Make sure there are enough (caring) Supervisors, Coordinators, Asst. Managers, and Managers to keep the workforce happy. Too often would I see employees being mistreated simply because they hadn't been trained properly. Please coach the management staff to encourage a learning environment where people help each other out; not an environment that promotes competition.

""Well marketed, but highly unethical and illegal in company policies""

Former Employee - Rides in Farmington, UT
    Former Employee - Rides in Farmington, UT

I worked at Lagoon part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-the atmosphere can be highly fun and unique
    -you will undoubtedly find friends as long as you are willing to find friends
    -easy perks such as free entry and great discount passes, as well as a relatively decent end-of-season bonus
    -personally had lots of opportunity for advancement and access to knowledge of resume-building skills
    -an actual chance to embrace diversity! Such diverse employees, including people from abroad.
    -lower advancement is super easy to get, so long as you work efficiently and with a smile.
    -small scholarship opportunities

Cons

-company cuts corners most prominently in health codes and employer laws.
    -I was forced to operate rides with bare hands in vomit, as well as drink from an employee's mug to verify alcoholic content in the mug.
    -company does not provide benefits, overtime or holiday pay, or flexibility of hours.
    -Though employers can easily and within-the-law justify terminations are not due to discrimination, there is a lot of "in-between-the-lines" firings that read very clearly otherwise. I even had to terminate people that upper management didn't like for reasons they skewed towards something which was actually within the employee's job title (i.e.: employees "yelled" at guests to not jump the fence into the enclosure of the ride while the ride was in operation)
    -upper advancement is only due to social politics and not on merit.
    -witnessed harassment reports being shredded and thrown away instead of filed.

Advice to Management

-Stop doing illegal things! Pay attention to laws instead of cutting corners
    -Pay attention to true merit of your supervisors and less time on the people you can easily talk to.
    -Do not fire your LGBT employees!
    -The CEO (Dave Freed) needs to listen more to younger employees who may be voicing extremely legitimate (and legal) concerns.

11. "The biggest and most successful place I ran for 1 year deal and we grossed $9 million."

Former Employee - General Manager in Essington, PA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Essington, PA

I worked at Lagoon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am looking to be part of any restaurant because I miss the passion I have for the business and I have the energy to work 60 to 80 hours a week to reach my goals.

Cons

Working at the Lagoon was such a full time project I actually lived in one of the hotel rooms 6 days a week while my family was in Maryland.

Advice to Management

The bigger the place the more people you need to look busy and you have to upscale your public relations and be very aggressive in getting people to come to your place