Laika, Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Travis Knight

Pros
  • There is nothing quite like stepping on to an amazing stop motion set to inspire wonder and awe (in 9 reviews)

• Lots a really creative people who are great to work with along with great benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • No one is safe, not even the longest-running veterans (in 6 reviews)

• There are no cost-of-living yearly raises as in similar sized companies (in 3 reviews)

1. "Awesome tech and personality in the Pacific Northwest!"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Laika, Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great benefits all around and great work atmosphere. Walking the stages and seeing what's going on from so many different departments working together to create some movie magic is really awe-inspiring.

Amazing location in Hillsboro so you can get out of the traffic of Portland if you want. The city, the mountains, and the ocean are under 2 hours trips makes easy week-end getaways. The public transportation is also very reliable and you get a 50% off ($25/month) unlimited pass to Trimet if you want as a Laikan.

Overall best job I've had yet in my career, and I'm very thankful to make the relocation not only for the job, but the people, the sights, and the vibe from this Pacific Northwest area.

Cons

It rains, a lot. The sun likes to hide, a lot. Had to supplement some Vitamin D and I think next Winter I might get a UV lamp. This supposedly was a pretty unusual year for Portland weather, but that's really the only con I've had since starting since I moved out of state for the job.

Advice to Management

They already seem to be moving in the right direction of more communication and transparency across departments. More of this. It's just cool to see what everyone is up to, and sometimes I think a small step back and recap across the whole company is helpful reminding us that we're all on the same team and working towards something amazing.

"Watch out!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Laika, Inc (More than a year)

Pros

The lower level workers are great people. Fun to be around.

Cons

Management! They have no clue, will take your ideas as their own. Just announced massive "temporary" lay-offs or they call them "roll offs." But roll offs don't start for a few more months so you've got to keep working (and somehow stay positive) knowing that you're going to loose your job. You may or may not get called back to your job after the 8 of so months you'll be a laid-off.
    Also stifling culture of fear from the managers. If you push back or question the smallest thing you'll get fired.
    Low low pay!!! Only special people (managers) make a decent salary the rest of us are so low paid we resort to stealing bananas and peanut butter jars from the cantina to feed our kids

Advice to Management

Travis Knights only wants to make a name for himself at the expense of the people who work hard for him. Shutting down production and laying people off so he can go direct a movie for another company is highly damaging to moral. Travis says he's dedicated to Laika but what about the people that have spent years being dedicated to him and to Laika???

"Hurt and used"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Laika, Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the people that really matter - the workers are lovely and filled with enormous talent, they deserve the best that work can offer and they give their all to the job

Cons

the management do not care about the people that work really hard for them. shame they don't know what they have.

Advice to Management

look at better ways to treat the people that work for you. They work hard so that every film can be fantastic and without them you have no films.

"Great creativity but strange to weird company culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Laika, Inc (Less than a year)

Pros

Some great artists and great movies as a result. Being among the awesome stop motion sets is like nothing else in the contemporary animation industry (mainly CG where all the great work is hidden in the servers).

Cons

Demoralizing management style, favoritism and lack of trust and transparency. Strange and sometimes uncomfortable company culture & sweatshop-like treatment to lots of the crew on the floor. Production staff (producers) are acting more like bullies rather than partners helping the creative process.

Advice to Management

They wouldn't listen anyway.

"Be prepared to work hard and sometimes play hard"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Laika, Inc (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty darn good benefits, especially if you have kids.
    Even compared to a publish schools benefits they're good
    The Benefits department is very trustworthy and always striving to improve the workplace for the employees.
    They are getting much better at regulating a 40/45 hr work week (rather than working 50+ hrs)
    Monday mornings are great because they provide a small breakfast (even for gluten free/vegan diets)
    The employees are all so friendly and creative. You can really find life long friends here.

Cons

It's the movie industry so hours could get crazy at times, I definitely had a few nights that went till 2am (and that was nothing compared to some other employees)
    If you're going to work in this business, you need to have a passion for it, if you don't you might not last long.
    As in all large companies, there is a pretty big pay discrepancy. Also with big companies, it can also be difficult to get more than a dollar raise when getting promoted or changing position.

Advice to Management

Communication is everything. I know in a building with so many people there are bound to be many communication breakdowns, but I think that was one of the only places I really got frustrated. I would also suggest giving a dollar/hour raise per movie again. I think that really helped keep the company moral up.

"Decent"

Former Employee - CG Artist in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - CG Artist in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Laika, Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good relocation, the films you work on are really works of art, some good people to work with.
    Nice Xmas party.
    Portland is a great city with a great vibe, cheaper to live than most cities with CG Studios.

Cons

Every dept is different for pros and cons. I was in R.P. and I felt they held the CG Artist back alot relying on scans for most of the characters. Constantly reminded that CG Artists come second to traditional (or as they may say "Real" artists)
    Lots of unpaid overtime. Im talking 4-6 months of 10 hour days when the last 2 hours arent paid.
    Strange vibes and lots of big egos from managers. Laika knows they are the biggest CG Studio in town, so they don't give very good raises. I was offered something like a 2% raise locked in for 2 years.
    My biggest con - only 2 weeks PTO. This means if you get sick it comes out of your PTO. Say you get sick 4 days, that means you are left with only 6 vacation days for an entire year.
    That's pathetic for a major studio. Everyone gets sick. Come on Laika, you can do better.
    They also force you to take 2 weeks off a year, 1 in summer, 1 in winter. These are not paid. You have to burn your PTO. Basically Laika forces you to take your vacation when they want you to, not you dictating.

Advice to Management

Check your ego at the door. Be nice to your employees, it's a small industry and word gets around quick about what its like to work with you.
    You may be top dog in Portland, but if you ever need a job outside of that small city, you had better hope you have a good reputation.

"A very bad company posing as an artist friendly community"

Former Employee - Artist in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Artist in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Laika, Inc (More than 3 years)

Pros

The average employee is typically a good person- lots of struggling artists trying to make the best of a bad sittuations

Cons

Laika is a sweatshop factory. They put out a bunch of self congratulating videos about how they are an artist community- but it couldn't be further from the truth. It's the worst managed animation studio I've ever had the displeasure to work for.

Advice to Management

Ever notice that certain departments can't keep employees? Look at RP- what is the turn over rate there? People want to work for Laika- and yet they quit as soon as they realize its a sham. You could have a great company- but you squander it.

"Stage Technician"

Former Employee - Stage Technician in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Stage Technician in Portland, OR

Pros

Great experience, very talented people.

Cons

No cons to speak of.

Advice to Management

None.

"Very sad"

I worked at Laika, Inc full-time

Pros

Tremendous talent, unfortunately that talent
    is often laid off or fired.

Cons

Laika lays off and or fires, talented, dedicated
    artists, yet, they keep around corrupt department heads who take credit for doing very little. They do not appreciate and value the ones they should, and it is very sad.

Advice to Management

Stop firing hard working valuable artists, and
    start firing the corrupt management!

"Laika, Inc."

Former Employee - Puppet Fabricator in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Puppet Fabricator in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

Great benefits.
    Interesting work environment.
    Talented people to work with.
    Lot's of swag, parties and festivities on holidays and throughout the year.

Cons

Toxic work environment on numerous levels driven by unnecessary competition and favoritism (cliques).
    Incompetent management in a variety of departments due to power plays and egoism.
    Career advancement opportunities or changing departments is nearly impossible.

Advice to Management

Get some true leadership skills and do your job for the purpose of leading a great team rather than your own personal interests or agenda.