Laird Plastics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Mark W Kramer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Profit Center Manager"

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time

Pros

Very decentralized business with autonomy

Cons

Technology is lacking, because it's so decentralized have issues with communication

2. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This job offers great freedom and the ability to work on your own terms and schedule. I plan my own days and create my own future here. There is no micromanaging as my branch manager has full confidence in his team. This trust is a huge reason for our success.

Profit share bonuses at the end of the year are a big plus!

Cons

Opportunities for career grow are pretty much non existent.

Its the kind of job that you have the same salary for the rest of your tenure unless your manager decides to quit and somehow you get the position.

Advice to Management

All in all good job.

Oct 30, 2017 – Director of Corporate Development

Thanks for your feedback. We do have a leadership path for those interested; please give me a call and we can discuss. Mark Steele, Director of Corporate Development 469-299-7037.

"Outside Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees are empowered to make decisions on their own to provide efficient service for their customers. Daily variety seeing customers from dozens of industries, freedom to set my own travel schedule. Profit share vs commission really makes the sales team community friendly with each other instead of butting heads, creates a team environment.

Cons

The corporate service center needs experienced marketing team members to create sales content such as brochures and videos, as well as greater presence in trade magazines and social media. Greater emphasis should be put on recruitment and employee training to make sure retiring employees have a well trained replacements.

Advice to Management

Regionals to have greater contact with sales reps upon visits, greater internal company sales training should be offered. Better replacement plan for managers and sales reps.

Oct 30, 2017 – Director of Corporate Development

My apologies for the delay in responding...I just found your review. Thanks for the thoughtful comments, in all the sections. I agree, we could use more marketing resources. For the time being, if... More

4. "laird review"

I worked at Laird Plastics full-time

Pros

nothing is worth working in finance

Cons

everything is worth staying away from this company

Aug 7, 2017 – Director of Corporate Development

I'm sorry things didn't work out. You didn't leave me much to respond to; please give me a call anytime at 469-299-7037 and we can discuss. Thanks, I wish you well. Mark Steele, Director of... More

5. "Love my job!!!"

Current Employee - Office Administrator in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Office Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Laird is a great company to work for. We are empowered to help in the success of our location and that pays off with profit share each year. It is one big happy family! Management really cares for the employees and that definitely makes a difference.

Cons

I cannot think of ONE thing!!!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. You Rock!!!!

Jun 26, 2017 – Director of Corporate Development

Thank you for your feedback! If I ever can be of assistance, please call me anytime on my cell, 561-951-1620. Mark Steele, Director of Corporate Development.

6. "Inside Sales"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Houston, TX

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Laird Plastics is the largest and fastest growing organization in the plastics industry. Offering great potential for growth and self fulfillment. With a strong emphasis on health and safety.

Cons

I wish I had one con, but the truth is, i love my career and simply cannot think of one.

Jun 19, 2017 – Director of Corporate Development

Thank you for your feedback. If I ever can be of assistance, please call me anytime on my cell, 561-951-1620. Mark Steele, Director of Corporate Development.

7. "Former Outside Sales Representative DFW and Current Inside Sales Houston"

Current Employee - Entrepreneur in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Entrepreneur in Houston, TX

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

1. Laird DEVELOPS LEADERS early
    2. Laird EDUCATES and trains its employees
    3. Laird CHALLENGES its employees
    4. Laird allows us to INTERACT with our current LEADERS
    5. Laird TEACHES us to network
    6. Laird builds innovation by ROTATING employee positions
    7. Laird provides SUPPORT for its employees
    8. Laird INSPIRES its employees to be passionate
    9. Laird gives you the right RESOURCES and POWER to make decisions independently

Cons

I do not have any "Cons" that I would list. Quite frankly, I am a very happy employee and I take great pride in my own work ethic and I am compassionate about what I do.
    I left Laird Plastics to build my own business in late 2008, and Laird did give me great insight on how I would go run my own company. Trusting and empowering people to assist me to build a multi-million dollar network within the O & G industry was a must . Laird's values and ideas were similar to my own business goals, and I used them.
    I chose to depart from my partnership, and I have now returned to Laird Plastics after 8 years.
    I am very biased when I speak about Laird, but it is for a very good reason.
    I have had the great advantage of personally working with some great teams and great leaders. It is nice to be able to sit at a dinner table and have a conversation with our regional and executive teams.
    Texas is truly a great place to be....... I am excited to be back on board in Houston.

Advice to Management

Thank you for your continued support at all levels.

Jun 14, 2017 – Director of Corporate Development

Wow, not much to say, but thanks for coming back and being a part of our team/family again. These venues are great for people posting what is wrong. People are more likely to take the time to write... More

8. "Inside Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture and leadership is important to everyone here. The CEO emphasizes how important it is to take care of yourself and your family, so work-life balance exists, where it doesn't in other companies. Even as a recent college grad, I am empowered to make my own decisions and have independence. There are guidelines and goals that my manager gives me (and he's always there to give me advice) but at the end of the day I can do what I think is best to grow the business. Compensation is competitive. Executive leadership knows everyone by name and makes you feel valued. Once you find your niche, it's an exciting industry to be in.

Cons

As stated below, website and marketing/internet outreach could be improved (and there are plans in place). CRM could also be improved.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on our core values and making sure everyone who joins the company shares in those values - that's what makes the company so great! Management is great.

Feb 19, 2017 – Corporate Development

Thank you for your comments. We do take work-life balance seriously, and that guidance starts at the top. We like to say that you need to take care of yourself first, because if you are not... More

"Management needs a wake up call"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

People in sales and warehouse very nice to work with, mangers well that's another story.

Cons

First of don't complain to your mangers boss they really don't care . Manger get away with too much the leave early each day . The are bullies who don't care about anyone but themselves. You safety program is to be looked at , people get hurt they are told not to report it or they can get fired.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management speak more with the employees than the manager . If you want the truth but don't fire them after for speaking up.

Feb 12, 2017 – Corporate Development

I'm sorry that you seem to have had a bad experience. This seems like the second post on this date; however, the first which showed up as a warehouse employee in Houston disappeared, and this Austin... More

"Most Ignorant Macho Wannabe Employees"

I worked at Laird Plastics full-time

Pros

Fair pay is one semi positive

Cons

Arrogant uneducated people at the company who bully and harass others. Just very ignorant and even cruel.

Advice to Management

Loosen up...the tension is unbelievable

Jan 30, 2017 – Corporate Development

First of all, interesting title to your post. I'm not sure what happened, but I'm sorry that there seemed to have been a breakdown in communication. You are gone from the company; I'm not sure if... More