Laird Plastics Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark W Kramer

1. "Inside Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture and leadership is important to everyone here. The CEO emphasizes how important it is to take care of yourself and your family, so work-life balance exists, where it doesn't in other companies. Even as a recent college grad, I am empowered to make my own decisions and have independence. There are guidelines and goals that my manager gives me (and he's always there to give me advice) but at the end of the day I can do what I think is best to grow the business. Compensation is competitive. Executive leadership knows everyone by name and makes you feel valued. Once you find your niche, it's an exciting industry to be in.

Cons

As stated below, website and marketing/internet outreach could be improved (and there are plans in place). CRM could also be improved.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on our core values and making sure everyone who joins the company shares in those values - that's what makes the company so great! Management is great.

Feb 19, 2017 – Corporate Development

Thank you for your comments. We do take work-life balance seriously, and that guidance starts at the top. We like to say that you need to take care of yourself first, because if you are not ... More

2. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Empowerment, Decentralization, Great Co Workers, Strong Upper Management Leaders

Cons

Website and Marketing needs improvement

Feb 19, 2017 – Corporate Development

Thank you for the comments. I think all your points are "spot on" target. And yes, the website does need improvement...we currently have a team working on that and we hope that it will be completed ... More

3. "Management needs a wake up call"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

People in sales and warehouse very nice to work with, mangers well that's another story.

Cons

First of don't complain to your mangers boss they really don't care . Manger get away with too much the leave early each day . The are bullies who don't care about anyone but themselves. You safety program is to be looked at , people get hurt they are told not to report it or they can get fired.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management speak more with the employees than the manager . If you want the truth but don't fire them after for speaking up.

Feb 12, 2017 – Corporate Development

I'm sorry that you seem to have had a bad experience. This seems like the second post on this date; however, the first which showed up as a warehouse employee in Houston disappeared, and this Austin ... More

5. "First and Last Job I Will Have"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All employees are empowered to think and act in a way that they see fit. This saves a great deal of time and plays a big role in why Laird is so successful. It encourages everyone to take ownership of what they do, and in turn creates a sense of pride.
    All locations are decentralized, meaning they run separately from one another. This allows each location to fine tune their market approach.
    Laird is actively looking for young, driven professionals to groom into future leaders of not only the company, but the industry. The Plastic distribution industry is historically a B2B industry. Selling B2B allows for you to focus more on relationship selling, as opposed to just processing an online order. Everyone is buying plastic out there, you just have to convince the customer to buy it from you.
    You will have customers in almost every single industry out there: Medical, Sign/Graphics, Military, Food & Beverage, Industrial, etc. You can count of having an extremely diverse work week.
    Laird also has an outstanding Recycling program. The Plastics Industry does not have a very "green" reputation. Laird is the front runner for changing that perception, which will add a great deal of value to the customer.

Cons

Some of our competitors sell material at an extremely low profit margin, which devalues the distribution industry. We are here to bring value to the market place (fabrication, recycling, stocking of custom parts, consignment, etc.)
    Also, the website does not represent our company very well.

Advice to Management

Keep paving the path!

Mar 9, 2016 – Corporate Development

We love your enthusiasm, thanks!

6. "Laird Plastics: Not Awful, Not Great"

Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

Pros

The profit sharing plan has been very good at this company. Also, it is very handy to work for a plastics company if you have occasional need for pieces of various types of plastic. The management is very willing to allow employees to raid the scrap bin! Also, they allow use of the dumpster if there is room in it!

Cons

Some employees are given preferential treatment with regard to overtime availability and other "perks."

Advice to Management

Warehouse management sometimes belittle certain employees based on personal issues, resulting in a somewhat hostile working environment. This environment adds stress and does not help the employees accomplish their jobs.

Mar 6, 2016 – Corporate Development

I'm sorry that I hadn't seen your response sooner...it would have been good for us to chat so we could learn more about what was going on with your situation. thanks

"Wholesale distribution"

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time

Pros

Flexible work schedule
    Good benefits
    Great coworkers

Cons

On boarding / training starting out could have been better.

Sep 26, 2016 – Corporate Development

Thanks for the comments. We appreciate the "Pros" that you mentioned. I'm sorry the on-boarding and training fell short for you. Speaking personally, we always say, "You don't know what you don't ... More

"Sales"

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No micromanaging, very good salary, excellent co workers and company over all.

Cons

One of the worst vacation benefits I've ever encountered. An employee starts at 0 days and has to accrue as they go. Not just that, but it would take an entire year of not taking vacation in order to get two weeks. This is very bad for employees that like to to plan vacations for the next year when they've already used their hours for this year.

also, you have to accrue sick time... I don't get it. I can't even afford to get sick.

Advice to Management

Give employees all of their sick days and 2 weeks vacation at the beginning of each year, so that they have the freedom to plan their vacation as they'd like throughout the year without the fear of ending up at zero and having to start from zero when they decide to enjoy their vacation.

Also, i don't understand why sick days have to be accrued. I shouldn't have to feel forced to go to work if I get sick because I can't afford to not get paid.

These changes can really up morale and enthusiasm. Just my two cents.

Feb 19, 2017 – Corporate Development

Thank you for your comments. Your suggestions on vacation and sick days are duly noted. I agree with you that excellent co-workers make for a great work environment. Mark Steele, Director of ... More

"Most Ignorant Macho Wannabe Employees"

I worked at Laird Plastics full-time

Pros

Fair pay is one semi positive

Cons

Arrogant uneducated people at the company who bully and harass others. Just very ignorant and even cruel.

Advice to Management

Loosen up...the tension is unbelievable

Jan 30, 2017 – Corporate Development

First of all, interesting title to your post. I'm not sure what happened, but I'm sorry that there seemed to have been a breakdown in communication. You are gone from the company; I'm not sure if ... More

"Poor management"

Current Employee - Warehouse Worker
    Current Employee - Warehouse Worker

I have been working at Laird Plastics (More than 3 years)

Pros

They are very flexible with schedules.

Cons

The management is awful I've never experienced anything like it. Was not a safe work environment along with management was careless about it. There's no growing for anyone in the company. Raises were rarely given out.

Jan 9, 2017 – Corporate Development

Of all reviews, this is one of the most disturbing, because we have such a strong focus on safety and this is very disappointing if the main focus at a location is not safety. Since appointing our ... More

"Great company with a chance to suceed"

Current Employee - Inside Sales
    Current Employee - Inside Sales

I have been working at Laird Plastics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great day to day work environment, managers can make the location a great, they encourage you to building lasting relationships with your customers, they really focus on improving your skills and making sure you are the best at your job. This is a career company, and if you put the time and effort in, you can succeed and move up quickly.

Cons

The location environment is based upon the manager, which can be tough if you don't see eye to eye with the manager.

Sep 24, 2016 – Corporate Development

Very true on all points, thanks for the feedback! If I can ever be of assistance, please give me a call. Mark Steele 469-299-7037 or cell 561-951-1620.