Lake Michigan Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 104 reviews

4.1
Lake Michigan Credit Union CEO Sandy Jelinski
Sandy Jelinski
Pros
  • "I just celebrated my 7 year anniversary with LMCU(in 20 reviews)

• "The company culture is great here(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "hard to move up if you cant work full time(in 5 reviews)

• "(in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Seven Years and Counting!"

Current Employee - Mortgage Post-Closing in KenTownshipood, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

I just celebrated my 7 year anniversary with LMCU! Reflecting back on my time here I can't imagine a better place to work. The pay is fair. The benefits are great. Management and coworkers are kind and understanding. There is always possibility for growth and advancement. I see myself working here until I retire.

Cons

I truly cannot think of any negatives about working for LMCU.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-06-06
  2. "Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Call Center Specialist

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great family atmosphere, friendly culture, lots of room for growth, tons of recognition for great work!

Cons

Nothing immediately comes to mind.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-08-02
  3. "Its fine"

Current Employee - Senior Mortgage Processor

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

It's a fun environment to work in. The Pride and Wellness team always have fun things planned.

Cons

No ability to work from home. Empty promises from management.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-09-03
  4. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, competitive pay, great culture

Cons

Nothing, really love working here

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-07-30
  5. "I love working here!"

Current Employee - Mortgage Consultant in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Positive work environment; absolutely wonderful management staff; there are not 5 layers of management either--you can talk to the person that makes decisions; flexible working conditions (can work from home on occasion if need be); this company genuinely seems to care about its employees and that is so refreshing.

Cons

I can't really think of any other than our mortgage processing system is a little outdated. There are more sophisticated and faster systems out there, but in the big scheme of things, this is minor

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. The positivity in this company is almost unreal. When I was in training kept thinking everyone couldn't possibly be so happy & nice, but THEY ARE and I AM NOW TOO! Love LMCU!

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-06-28
  6. "Overall, a good experience"

Current Employee - Video Production Intern in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Paid internship -Good Coworkers -Friendly Culture -Hire within/good career mobility

Cons

-Traditional and Non-adaptive managerial and VP level staff -Extremely corporate feeling environment

Advice to Management

Listen to the people under you that know more about the specific topics at hand than you do.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-07-02
  7. "Generally Pleased"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Lake Michigan Credit Union is a company that promotes PRIDE in all that you do. They are committed to having the employees 'own' each member experience and do what is right by the members. -They are in the Best and Brightest to work for and there is most certainly a reason why. There work/home balance and PTO is excellent, they offer a 401k, and they offer a PENSION still which is almost unheard of now. -There... are many career opportunities if you are willing to travel. There are always positions posted internally if you wish for advancement. If you do not wish to advance and are pleased in your current position, you will not be looked down upon.

Cons

-There are often times when you will feel pulled in multiple directions and are not given reprieve as management is salaried and can be out of office for personal reasons as much as they want. -LMCU's computer systems are constantly having issues and their updates are pushed out seemingly willy-nilly and without much testing. This causes issues in service which will then be taken out on the retail and call center... staff. -The pay scale disparity is can only be described as offensive. LMCU seems to stand on the principle that that they will have retention if their culture is positive and they do not seem to worry about increasing the pay or paying employees equally. They hire outside the CU new employees with lesser experience at a higher rate to attract new talent but do not match the pay of current, high performing employees who have been faithful to the institution.

Advice to Management

-retail management should have annual performance reviews done anonymously from their staff and submitted to the district managers. -Computer updates should really be thoroughly tested prior to launch. It is exasperating to our members. - The pay scale needs to be reviewed. I read other reviews that stated the same thing almost two years ago and I will tell you as a long time employee, nothing has been done.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-06-19
  8. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

LMCU has a great balance when it comes to your personal life and work balance. The culture at LMCU is one of the best.

Cons

Compensation is on the lower end of the payscale when it comes to other companies with similar positions. However, because of the great culture, the decision is easy. Working for a company that appreciates you is much better than a larger paycheck.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-06-04
  9. "Teller 1"

Current Employee - Teller I in Kalamazoo, MI

Pros

Schedule is the same, nothing comes as a surprise or last minute

Cons

solid hours, not much flexibility

Advice to Management

Make piercings/tattoos acceptable

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-05-16
  10. "AMAZING"

Current Employee - Bank Teller

Pros

So many pros I have not yet found a con. Great benefits, great people, great environment, and amazing company!

Cons

I have not yet found a con.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-05-11

Lake Michigan Credit Union Response

May 17, 2019Human Resources Generalist II

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are thrilled to read your positive comments about the benefits and people here at LMCU! We agree that our people and culture are what makes LMCU extraordinary and we hope that you see us as a long-term fit. Thank you again ...

Found 104 reviews