Lake Michigan Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Lake Michigan Credit Union CEO Sandy Jelinski
Sandy Jelinski
  1. "Teller 1"

Current Employee - Teller I in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union part-time for less than a year

Pros

Schedule is the same, nothing comes as a surprise or last minute

Cons

solid hours, not much flexibility

Advice to Management

Make piercings/tattoos acceptable

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-05-16
  2. "AMAZING"

Current Employee - Bank Teller

Pros

So many pros I have not yet found a con. Great benefits, great people, great environment, and amazing company!

Cons

I have not yet found a con.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-05-11

May 17, 2019Human Resources Generalist II

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are thrilled to read your positive comments about the benefits and people here at LMCU! We agree that our people and culture are what makes LMCU extraordinary and we hope that you see us as a long-term fit. Thank you again for your time and for leaving us a review!

3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Prior worker"

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Learned a lot while there. Flexible.

Cons

They say they care about their employees but doesn't seem that way. Politics and greed.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-05-15

May 17, 2019Human Resources Generalist II

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and for providing us with feedback. We appreciate your feedback and would like to discuss further. If you would like, please email employment@lmcu.org for us to have a conversation regarding your feedback. Thank you again for you time.

5. "Great Place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Locally and Nationally recognized as one of the best places to work and it is true. You will feel that and live it day one. Competitive pay, with a strong culture, established.

Cons

-High potential talent development/ programs not well implemented. Likely will have to wait your turn. (This is not to say career pathing is not strong)

Advice to Management

-Continue to build cross-department development of resources. -Transparency -Bonuses

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-04-12

May 15, 2019Human Resources Generalist II

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and for providing us with feedback to improve. We are thrilled to read your positive comments about the culture at LMCU and compensation. Our team is always open to hearing ways in which we can improve and we appreciate you bringing the idea forward for improved talent development processes. If you have any feedback you would like to share with our team, please email employment@lmcu.org with your comments for us to review. Thank you again for your time and for leaving us a review!

6. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They really care about the members and make sure that we are giving back as much as we can. The products are worth talking about and the internal culture is rewarding and welcoming.

Cons

Excpections are very high to multi-task and focus on many objectives in addition to role responsibility. It can feel like your job is never fully done and your list never gets accomplished. There’s always work to do. It can also be difficult to move up past an MSR role since there are limited positions per branch.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees just as fully as the members. It helps with retention and promotes the Work-Life balance that LMCU strives to have.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-04-07

May 15, 2019Human Resources Generalist II

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and for providing us with feedback to improve. Culture, member-focus, and giving back to the community are all things LMCU strives to excel at and we are happy that you feel that same way! We appreciate your feedback surrounding the nature of our work and would like to hear any suggestions you may have on how we can improve going forward. If you have any feedback for our team, please email employment@lmcu.org with your comments for us to review. Thank you again for your time and for leaving us a review!

7. "A Team Focused Company"

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union part-time

Pros

Everyone is willing to help out when you need it. Very understanding when it comes to just everyday little things. Genuinely good people work at LMCU.

Cons

Not much room to move up in the company. You apply to jobs at corporate, have the experience and a degree, and just never hear back from them. Even when the job is still posted 2 months later.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-04-20

May 15, 2019Human Resources Generalist II

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and for providing us with feedback to improve. We are sorry to hear about your experience with career advancement. Our team is continuously looking for ways to improve to internal recruitment process. If you have any feedback for our team on how to improve, please email employment@lmcu.org with your comments for us to review. We agree that the people at LMCU are what sets us apart and we certainly hope you see us as a long-term fit!

"Great Benefits, Great People to work with"

Current Employee - Underwriter in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Wonderful Benefits Awesome Colleagues Additional Paid Holidays Flexible with Time Off Safe & Clean Working Environment Room for growth Paid Volunteer Time Pet Insurance Great PRIDE Health Wellness Programs Potential Bonus depends on sales

Cons

Not fairly compensated compared to market, Management lacking in leadership skills, Company PRIDE events but not allowed to participate due workload, Favoritism by management, Extremely cliquey, Some Weekends, Limited Positive reinforcement mainly focus on negative, max annual pay increase is 2%

Advice to Management

Treat everyone equally, don’t single people out, be accepting of a variety of personalities, Act More professional, have compassion

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-04-16

May 15, 2019Human Resources Generalist II

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and for providing us with feedback. We appreciate your feedback and would like to discuss further. Please email employment@lmcu.org for us to have a conversation regarding your feedback. Thank you again for you time.

"Member Service Rep"

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Great work environment and work culture.

Cons

Pay doesn't raise fairly for faithful employees

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-04-04

"Great Company, Terrible Management"

Current Employee - Senior Mortgage Processor

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits. Community involvement.

Cons

No opportunity for growth. The mortgage managers have each other’s backs even knowing they’re doing a poor job. They don’t trust any employee to do their job. Constant micro managing. Disrespectful comments are regular. Offering ideas for improvement are frowned upon and often disregarded as unintelligent, only because the leaders lack significant knowledge about processing loans. No ownership from the managers.... They continue to think they know everything even when confronted with solid proof they are wrong. Many do very little in a day but constantly hound their employees to do more and question why they didn’t get more done in a day. Terrible inconsistencies in underwriting. Many underwriters are too afraid to clear any approval conditions but think they are masters at their jobs. They’re behind the times in Underwriting, significantly. Their processes are ancient and lack any sophistication. They believe they are changing the way loans are done but only because the want to continue to impress the wealthy in a highly conservative area of the state of Michigan and Florida.

Advice to Management

Sandy, the CEO, is completely out of touch which what happens in the mortgage department. She thinks she hired a group of extremely talented leaders but actually hired severely unintelligent leaders who like to use their title to dictate how things are done. Especially when they know they are wrong or are not knowledgeable of any topic discussed.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-04-26

May 17, 2019Human Resources Generalist II

11. "Fun job, but stressful"

Former Employee - Teller I

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Standing all day, expected to make customer experience memorable, but also need to be quick with transactions

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-03-06