Lake Michigan Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 16, 2019

4.1
Lake Michigan Credit Union CEO Sandy Jelinski
Sandy Jelinski
  1. "Fun job, but stressful"

Former Employee - Teller I

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Standing all day, expected to make customer experience memorable, but also need to be quick with transactions

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-03-06
  2. "Good job to get into company"

Former Employee - Teller in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay, advancement opportunities, bonuses for sales

Cons

Big emphysis on sales, can be hard to move to corporate

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-01-09

"Decent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- A lot of great people work here - Fun work events 3-4 times a year - The company cares for its members - Growing company (but see my first con) - Often hires internally - 38 hour work week (usually) - Employees go above and beyond to help each other (but again see my first con)

Cons

- With all the growth, the company is not hiring back-office staff fast enough to ease the transition and employees are becoming overloaded. I don't believe Senior Management is truly aware of the workload their staff has. Staff are often doing tasks outside of their job duties to keep things afloat. You could easily add 2 employees to every department within IT and all would still have plenty of work. - Needs... to give employees more incentive to stay *Pay is below average *No way to get a raise more than 3% a year outside a promotion, that I know of *Benefits aren't great *Takes 5 years before you earn more vacation days -The politics can be a bit ridiculous - The work environment from a design standpoint isn't terrible, but could really use some life outside the tan cubes, tan floors, etc. - The company just seems a bit stuck "in the old ways" still.

Advice to Management

All in all, it is a good place. It could be a great place with some forward thinking from a employee-focused standpoint. -If you want to be a growing company, be a growing company from front to back (not just in the roles that directly gain revenue). That means adding new departments, job positions, etc. Hiring needs to be more proactive. If you keep putting bricks in the back of the same truck, the truck will... work harder, less efficiently, and eventually stop moving. At some point you need to get a bigger, more heavy-duty truck to keep moving at the same rate. - I would send out more anonymous feedback requests other than just the ones that are just for getting LMCU on a "Great place to work" list. Have these focus on their workload and manager(s). This will give staff a chance to truthfully give info to management without fear of repercussions. The PRIDE culture is a great idea and the events are too, but I've had time to participate in maybe one in the last year.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-01-04
  4. "Best place to work"

Current Employee - Mortgage Processor in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

LMCU is an amazing organization. I have been here for 9 years and see myself here for many more to come. The work environment is extremely pleasant, and we live and breathe our culture! #LMCUPRIDE

Cons

I can not think of one right now.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-12-18
  5. "LMCU is the best employer I have ever had."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work/life balance is heavily promoted. Employees have autonomy and are encouraged to be their best self. The management staff has a "can do" attitude. Mistakes are treated as learning opportunities, not as a negative. The overall environment is one of service, community involvement, kindness toward others, and celebration of each employee's achievements. This starts with the CEO and filters throughout the... company.

Cons

I have no cons.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and keeping the culture thriving.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-12-17
  6. "Branch Manager"

Current Employee - Branch Manager

Pros

-Culture -Senior Management -Work/Life balance -Giving back to community

Cons

-Growth is limited for some Remote branches that aren't in the Grand Rapids area

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-12-14
  7. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Managers genuinely care about employees Company culture Generous PTO for full-time employees 38 hour work week for full-time employees Ability to grow within the company

Cons

Pay is a bit lower than average for some positions

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-12-14
  8. "I loved LMCU"

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union part-time

Pros

Very flexible with my schedule while I was pregnant.

Cons

No cons. I loved this job.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-11-27
  9. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Msr in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Great life/work balance, great incentives for meeting our branch goals, and the managers I have had are great!

Cons

I cannot think of any cons off the top of my head.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-11-26
  10. "Decent company to work for"

Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union part-time for more than a year

Pros

Weekly pay, offers chances to volunteer within the community, good company culture and vision,

Cons

Scheduling time off is a hassle, referral goals unrealistic for part time employees, Opportunities to advance not common within Kalamazoo area.

Advice to Management

Be more mindful of those going to school

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-11-03