Lake Michigan Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Lake Michigan Credit Union Reviews

Updated Oct 10, 2019

Found 105 reviews

4.1
Lake Michigan Credit Union CEO Sandy Jelinski
Sandy Jelinski
  1. "Teller 2"

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union

Pros

great company care about employees and members great work environment

Cons

hard to move up if you cant work full time

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-10-15
  2. "Traning is amazing!!!!"

Current Employee - Teller I

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union part-time for less than a year

Pros

They really care and empower you to do what's best for the member.

Cons

I haven't seen any so far.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-09-08

"Not a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Provide a lot of training.

Cons

Management shows favoritism, taking away previous flexibility, pay lower than other financial institutions.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-08-13

"Mortgage Sales"

Pros

Training is always available to help sharpen your skills and improve in your area.

Cons

I feel like compensation could be higher as I could go elsewhere for more.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-07-31
  5. "MSR"

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great culture, great place to work. Member service based financial institution (not sales) you'll never feel like your job is on the line if you don't get 2 more credit cards. Really value members and employees.

Cons

Pay and health benefits could be a little better but definitely worth it for the culture vs. other financial institutions.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-07-18
  6. "Great Opportunity and Culture"

Current Employee - Teller

Pros

-Great staff that prepares you for the job. -Great Culture to be around and happy workers as well. -Good hours, Good pay and great foundation for career building.

Cons

-Training aspect could be improved in some areas. But overall Good.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-07-17
  7. "Full Time MSR"

Current Employee - Msr in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

*meet wonderful people *lots of community involvement

Cons

*Branch Managers are under trained, not good leaders and attempt to bully staff into performing how they'd like.

Advice to Management

*Please train your managers to lead effectively. Happy employee's are more productive, its worth some effort to ensure they feel supported and encouraged.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-07-23

"Mortgage Dept"

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

Overall, I've never worked for a company that has been as understanding and caring when life events get in the way of work. Although it probably depends on the department you're in, my schedule has been fairly flexible. Most of the employees on the processing side of Mortgage are eager to assist and kind.

Cons

As someone with a chronic condition that qualifies as a disability, I was disappointed when I was hired in and saw that the only health plans available were high-deductible plans. The company has since added another option, but I still find that the healthcare options are limited. When I had to be out on FMLA for a couple of weeks for a surgical procedure, HR was very understanding, but my manager less so. She... was unhappy with the time I missed for the appointments required leading up to the procedure, which I had no control over. I've noticed over the past couple of years that management has been becoming less and less understanding of time off. In addition, the pay is low. I could make quite a bit more at other companies. I feel strongly that we should be more fairly compensated. It adds to the feelings I already have of being underappreciated at work. Low pay further complicates things when you consider the chronic medical condition I mentioned above. With the health care options available, I still have to spend a large portion of my pay on medical care, so it feels like my income is even less. There are also less opportunities and perks for those not located in Grand Rapids.

Advice to Management

Remember that while we do put our members first, you should be putting your employees at a very close second - and not just upper management. Better benefits, a culture that is understanding for those who have disabilities or difficulties (and training regarding ALL types of diversity), as well as better pay, would go a long way towards increasing employee satisfaction and reducing turn over.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-07-04

"Wonderful Employer with Great Intentions"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

Great Culture. I've worked at other companies, and always wanted to feel as though I am doing something meaningful to make the world a better place. I am able to do that at LMCU. From the top down, leadership stresses the importance of always doing what is right for our members. We really want to improve the financial well-being of the people we serve. We are committed to this mission.

Cons

While the company has great intentions, they don't always choose to do things in the most efficient or effective manner. If we improved some of our systems, processes, and communications, we could be even better than we are.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore the pain points of your employees, or gloss over them. Actively seek out input from all employees regarding the barriers/pain points people face. Then choose to take action to address those issues with solutions.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-06-13

"The Best Place for your Career"

Current Employee - Vice President, Regional Mortgage Production in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

There’s such a great corporate culture present at LMCU. If you are starting your career or a seasoned banking professional, you will find a dynamic culture that leads with doing the right thing. Senior management is very accessible and willing to talk one on one about career goals, current workload and a variety of topics. I have been in the mortgage industry for over 13 years, and LMCU has the right mix of products..., pricing, and passion for our employees.

Cons

LMCU is a very large producing credit union. Be sure to have great time management skills.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-06-06