Lake Michigan Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 21, 2019

4.1
Lake Michigan Credit Union CEO Sandy Jelinski
Sandy Jelinski

"Wonderful Employer with Great Intentions"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Culture. I've worked at other companies, and always wanted to feel as though I am doing something meaningful to make the world a better place. I am able to do that at LMCU. From the top down, leadership stresses the importance of always doing what is right for our members. We really want to improve the financial well-being of the people we serve. We are committed to this mission.

Cons

While the company has great intentions, they don't always choose to do things in the most efficient or effective manner. If we improved some of our systems, processes, and communications, we could be even better than we are.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore the pain points of your employees, or gloss over them. Actively seek out input from all employees regarding the barriers/pain points people face. Then choose to take action to address those issues with solutions.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-06-13

"The Best Place for your Career"

Current Employee - Vice President, Regional Mortgage Production in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

There’s such a great corporate culture present at LMCU. If you are starting your career or a seasoned banking professional, you will find a dynamic culture that leads with doing the right thing. Senior management is very accessible and willing to talk one on one about career goals, current workload and a variety of topics. I have been in the mortgage industry for over 13 years, and LMCU has the right mix of products..., pricing, and passion for our employees.

Cons

LMCU is a very large producing credit union. Be sure to have great time management skills.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-06-06
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Call Center"

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

-They focus just as much on the employees as they do the members. -Lots of open positions constantly, always room to move up. -Multiple tools available to learn more

Cons

You never get a chance to really meet any of the people you work under, even if it just is a handshake and a hi.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-06-19

"Love LMCU"

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Norton Shores, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union part-time for more than a year

Pros

LMCU cares about their Members and their Employees unlike any company I've ever worked for before!

Cons

Wish more full time was available

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-06-04
  6. "Call Center"

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great culture! Supportive team environment!

Cons

Would like 40 hours per week, not 38.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-05-29

"Opportunity for Growth"

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We have a Culture here that values employee feedback. Your manager will take the time to get to know you and where your strengths are and help you get to the next level. Realize that it might not happen overnight; that is actually a "Pro" because you don't want to be put in a position you are not ready to handle well. Easy to build relationships with many departments. People really like each other here!

Cons

A "slight" Con: we are growing! You may have a manager or a staff you like and then they move on to another opportunity within the company. You'll need to be flexible and positive at all times.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-06-07
  8. "Mortgage Loan Officer"

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment, good team, encouraging manager. Good benefits

Cons

Clunky LOS, slow technologically, lower mortgage pay

Advice to Management

Invest in the tools needed to do the job well.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-06-05
  9. "Great Company to Work for"

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great company, just the pay isn't the greatest.

Cons

There is a lot of growth, some may say too much at once.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-05-15

"Not as great as they used to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Ummm depends on the department. But right now, decent benefits.

Cons

Raises, promotions, etc go on length of service only or who you know. Not performance. Takes 6 months for decisions to be made. People can also get hired in as seniors but don’t know anything while those that have worked here 5+ years are treated like nothing. The FMLA plan sucks. Low low pay for the industry.

Advice to Management

You need to value your employees and make better decisions on management. Also the FMLA you have stinks. Using every minute of your time for maternity leave is horrible when everyone knows doctors appointments are normal after coming back to work.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-05-10

"Keeping up with the times"

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

LMCU has a vibrant staff culture. There is a feeling of family and mutual respect for one another. Beyond the core workplace culture, LMCU also is dedicated to helping our communities we serve and empower all employees to be active in those efforts. I believe this inspires others to work hard and feel a feeling of joint ownership in how they can make a difference.

Cons

Overall, the corporate workplace is lacking in the modern approach to working space. Our demographic of employees are shifting to a younger generation, but the workplace approach is not shifting with that change. Most of the working conditions are left to tall cubicles and dated furniture.

Advice to Management

Our demographic of employees are shifting to a younger generation, but the workplace approach is not shifting with that change. If we want to continue to entice new talent, creating a work environment that is both welcoming and modern will achieve that better. There are several new companies opening in West Michigan that are incentivizing great talent to join them by not just financial composition, but with also... workplace amenities and design. For many of us, we are at work more than we are at home. Creating a space with vibrancy and sophistication, I believe, allows for better creativity and employee appreciation. A great example would be Gordon Food Service corporate center in Wyoming.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-04-12