Lake Michigan Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Lake Michigan Credit Union CEO Sandy Jelinski
Sandy Jelinski

"Mortgages"

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union

Pros

Great culture and people to work with.

Cons

They don't pay as much as they should.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2017-10-28

"I think the company means well...but..."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company overall seems to care about all of it's employees. Most people seem to enjoy the jobs they do.

Cons

This place is not geared to I.T. professionals and Software Engineers in any way, shape, or form. There is also no career advancement because their are no levels applied to job titles and there are no departments to move to such as QA or project management.

Advice to Management

Stop approaching the job as if you're the smartest in the room. The fact is no individual knows better than the team and the team should be given more freedom to come up with ideas, present those ideas, and have those ideas properly vetted instead of being thrown out on the basis of excuses such as we don't have the money (for $500 dollar solutions) or no I don't want to do that because I'm unfamiliar. Also,... employees should have the opportunity to review their employer. Management is constantly looking at how employees are doing but never ask the employees how they feel about the company and management. Also, I think management needs to split duties. There's no reason why upper management needs to write code as well as attempt to manage. This is a specialty that only a handful of people have been successful at and it's hurting the company. Management is stressed out as well as the employees and it could easily be fixed with an I.T. project manager and a QA department not a QA individual or couple. No one should be working 60 hours a week not employees, not management, no one and it hurts the department if management is working sunup to sundown and not able to manage.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2017-11-14

"Teller 2"

Current Employee - Part Time Teller

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and the company really cares about their employees. This company is also growing really fast so their are always new jobs available and they really want you to grow .

Cons

I don't have many complaints to be honest. There is a set amount of time off and it is difficult to get time off after you have used that up but they have a reasonable amount of time off and even though I would like to have more it isn't bad.

Advice to Management

The management I have had so far has been really great. LMCU seems to employ great people and the employees don't normally get promoted unless they are doing well so the system seems to work good.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2017-10-17
  4. "Teller II"

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great company culture, support and opportunity for advancement

Cons

compensation could have been better

Lake Michigan Credit Union2017-10-16

"Good challenges, management is lacking"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are always new projects. If you’re after greenfield development it can be fairly rewarding in that regard. It’s also nice if you like working on your own, as it’s very siloed even when on a team. Just make sure you cover your butt and can justify every design decision ever made. Developers receive an MSDN account. Pay is good if the negotiation was done before starting. There are days you can wear jeans and... LMCU approved t-shirts.

Cons

Development is siloed. Weekly on-call rotation. There is no opportunity for advancement. Titles indicate pay-grade, not leadership ability/potential. Even the Team Lead role is side-lined by management most of the time. The focus is on developing hacky systems that “just work”. Laptops have 8GB of RAM, 19in 900p monitors, etc. Not a huge deal, just an indicator of how tight the budget is for basic items. TFS. Very... aggressive Websense policies (even sites like imgur.com which tutorials or blogs might use). If you use more than 4 sick days a year you’ll be reprimanded.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't seem to take the role of management seriously. Hope they can stop coding and focus on facilitating us/removing barriers. It's difficult because it's clear they love coding and stuff, but it's ultimately detrimental to the team (and creates a huge bottleneck). Listen more to developers. Try to take back seat and let discussion take place. Might take some time for those natural leaders to show... through, but they will eventually.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2017-10-15
  6. "not all it what it seems"

Pros

relaxed atmosphere, very achievable goals

Cons

treat employees badly at times and do not like to hear any negative feedback

Lake Michigan Credit Union2017-11-01
  7. "Enjoyed"

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

There is good culture there.

Cons

There are no cons to note.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2017-06-22

"I AM LMCU is killing employee morale"

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

Company culture is great, real desire to give to the community. Products are competitive so not hard to sell.

Cons

Benefits are terrible. Too much focus on the members, not enough on the employees (I AM LMCU initiative in particular, very hard to get a 3% raise for exceeding all metrics but see the company paying peoples loans and giving random deposits to member accounts)

Advice to Management

Turn your focus inward a little. Employees aren't compensated competitively, benefits aren't good, it makes acts of kindness/I AM LMCU hard to swallow.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2017-04-22
  9. "Teller"

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union

Pros

They are nice people to work with.

Cons

no advancement in the credit union

Advice to Management

They need open mind

Lake Michigan Credit Union2017-05-13
  10. "Amazing Culture, Great place to Learn and Grow"

Human Resources Intern

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union

Pros

I had an amazing experience as an intern at LMCU. From day one every person I interacted with at the credit union was so kind and extremely willing to help me in any way that they could. I was inspired by how much Lake Michigan prioritized their culture initiative and was always looking for ways to improve and grow. Not only was Lake Michigan Credit Union looking to grow themselves, but they also invested time into... me to help me grow. I felt that each person truly was invested in my success and was genuinely trying to help me reach my goals. LMCU is a place where you can enjoy spending time with your coworkers as well as work together to create results. It is a perfect balance. I enjoyed everything about Lake Michigan Credit Union and I would come back to work here in a heartbeat.

Cons

That I was unable to stay for longer!

Advice to Management

Keep helping your employees grow and reach their goals

Lake Michigan Credit Union2017-04-15