Lake Michigan Credit Union "company culture" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lake Michigan Credit Union Employee Reviews about "company culture"

Updated Oct 16, 2019

4.1
Lake Michigan Credit Union CEO Sandy Jelinski
Sandy Jelinski
Pros
  • "I just celebrated my 7 year anniversary with LMCU(in 20 reviews)

• "The company culture is great here(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "hard to move up if you cant work full time(in 5 reviews)

• "(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "company culture"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great company to work for"

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Managers genuinely care about employees Company culture Generous PTO for full-time employees 38 hour work week for full-time employees Ability to grow within the company

Cons

Pay is a bit lower than average for some positions

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-12-14
  2. "Decent company to work for"

Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union part-time for more than a year

Pros

Weekly pay, offers chances to volunteer within the community, good company culture and vision,

Cons

Scheduling time off is a hassle, referral goals unrealistic for part time employees, Opportunities to advance not common within Kalamazoo area.

Advice to Management

Be more mindful of those going to school

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-11-03
  3. "Teller II"

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

Great company culture, support and opportunity for advancement

Cons

compensation could have been better

Lake Michigan Credit Union2017-10-16

"I AM LMCU is killing employee morale"

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

Company culture is great, real desire to give to the community. Products are competitive so not hard to sell.

Cons

Benefits are terrible. Too much focus on the members, not enough on the employees (I AM LMCU initiative in particular, very hard to get a 3% raise for exceeding all metrics but see the company paying peoples loans and giving random deposits to member accounts)

Advice to Management

Turn your focus inward a little. Employees aren't compensated competitively, benefits aren't good, it makes acts of kindness/I AM LMCU hard to swallow.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2017-04-22

"Great culture, poor pay."

Current Employee - Msr

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company culture is great here! LMCU really promotes innovation and is an enjoyable place to work.

Cons

While LMCU gives back to its' members, the credit union fails to stay to stay competitive with employee earnings. Raises are now capped at 3% compared to 5%, incentives are harder to qualify for, even for the best employees. Each location/department currently makes a mortgage, credit card, and loan payment every month with the new I am LMCU initiative but employees are underpaid.

Advice to Management

Start giving back to your employees on ways that will really benefit them. Restructure the pay grades so when the brackets change, existing employees benefit also, instead of receiving the same pay as new employees. Develop a management training program and continue to coach and empower your managers instead of micro-managing.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2017-04-11

April 20, 2017Human Resource Generalist I

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us on Glassdoor.com. I'm so happy that you enjoy our wonderful culture and our initiatives like I AM LMCU. We sincerely appreciate your feedback regarding our compensation and current pay scales. I can assure you that we are taking these things into consideration as we evaluate our positions. I also appreciate your comments regarding management. Continuing to empower our managers and develop all employees professionally is something our HR and Organizational Development Departments are striving for with various initiatives. Thank you again for your time and suggestions!

"Awesome Culture! Great Company!"

Current Employee - Director Organizational Development in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

The organization is a not-for-profit organization. Why is this important? We don't answer to Shareholders looking for big dividends each quarter. Employees are empowered and encouraged to always do the right thing for our Members. LMCU's profits are spent on enhancing the financial lives of our members (for example: 3% interest paid on Max Checking account). A lot of money and manpower is spent helping out the... communities we serve. The Company culture is amazing. Very empowering and gratifying.

Cons

Because the organizational growth has been organic and fast, we have gone from being a small company, to a mid-large size company quickly. We are still figuring out how to gain organizational efficiencies, while maintaining our "member centric" spirit and focus.

Advice to Management

Senior Leadership, spend time bonding and getting on the same page. Be strategic. Hone a compelling vision, mission and strategy that includes everyone. Help every employee see why the work they do matters. Be committed to Leadership Development and support those efforts. Not only embrace change... but be Change Leaders. Sponsor change initiatives. Drive continuous improvement efforts.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2016-12-20

February 17, 2017Human Resource Generalist I

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review for us. You’re so right about the empowering and gratifying culture that exists at LMCU! We believe it’s so important to cultivate an awesome company culture, and to turn that outward to our members as well. It’s all part of what sets us apart, and it’s wonderful to hear that our employees feel that way, too. We also really appreciate your feedback regarding our rapid growth and leadership team. I definitely believe that there is value in investing time in proactively improving processes. Thank you again for your feedback and review!

"Manager Full Time, Excellent Career Growth"

Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

101 best companies to work for, National and Statewide for a good reason. I have worked here for 5+ years as a teller, member service representative, and currently a branch manager. LMCU has invested many resources to make the best company culture to work in. You are family when you work for LMCU. Your opinion is heard and your future matters. Consider more than the annual salary, consider your benefits, 401 K,... Pension, Health Benefits/Cost, and other family circumstances. LMCU is in the banking industry, but family life is valued here.

Cons

I know I could be making more annually working for another company. However, I do not feel for the companies that have approached me they would provide me the results and growth LMCU has. My con in regards to income, is a pro, as LMCU has invested into my career growth and recognized that I as an individual wanted to show the leadership capacity to serve at higher levels. Income will come in the future.

Advice to Management

Every employee likes a raise. But for internal movement and promotions more often a think the manager's input should be considered for what employee they are staffing or promoting should get paid. Especially if you know your staff members are not being compensated hourly the same and one produces or services members better. Additionally, with internal promotion I think more often than not managers are being put the... low end of their bracket, but the company would be consider hiring new managers in at a higher rate. Consider improving current wages for longer retention.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2016-12-12

February 22, 2017Human Resource Generalist I

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review for us. What an awesome testament to LMCU’s commitment to our company culture, and our opportunity for growth! Being a part of the 101 Best & Brightest Companies to Work For is something that we are so proud of, and we are happy that you love our family atmosphere as much as we do. We love to see our employees progressing through their career paths, moving up to different positions from Teller to Manager, such as yourself. There is so much opportunity for our employees, and we are happy that you have found your place here. We also appreciate your constructive comments regarding our current compensation model. Please know that we are going to take this into consideration. Again, we sincerely appreciate your feedback. We are happy that you have grown with us at LMCU! Thanks again.

8. "A great organization to work at"

Pros

The company culture is outstanding here. Over the course of my career, I've experienced a variety of cultures, and this by far is the best. The people who work at LMCU are very friendly and personable.

Cons

A formerly smaller organization that at times struggles with the mindset needed of a rapidly growing organization, but progress is being made.

Advice to Management

Transparency is good, but could be better, keep working at it.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2016-12-13

March 13, 2017Human Resource Generalist I

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us on Glassdoor. We are so happy that you love our company culture as much as we do. It truly does make a difference when your co-workers are passionate about their jobs. We sincerely appreciate your comments regarding our growth, and we are happy that you can see our progress as well. Transparency is definitely something that we strive for, and I think employees like you leaving reviews on Glassdoor.com is a great place to start. Thanks again!

9. "Great but..."

Current Employee - Teller I

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union part-time for less than a year

Pros

Love the company culture. Always promoting a fun workplace and giving out recognition for making goals.

Cons

Almost impossible to be full-time. Your only chance is to find a branch with a full-time position available.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2016-06-04
  10. "Awesome Company Culture!"

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union

Pros

LMCU is a fantastic company to work for! The great company culture is prevalent throughout all departments, as well as individual branches. Such a large part of life is spent at work, and LMCU ensures that life at work can be fun. Management does a great job of empowering employees to improve their processes, further career development, etc. Company is growing quickly! There will be more and more... opportunities to move upward in the future. Work/Life Balance is important to Upper Management - Flex-Time available, Personal Days, and Sick Time.

Cons

Some processes could be updated - but this is most likely due to the rapid growth.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2015-09-22