Lake Michigan Credit Union "lmcu" Reviews | Glassdoor

Lake Michigan Credit Union Employee Reviews about "lmcu"

Updated Oct 16, 2019

4.1
Lake Michigan Credit Union CEO Sandy Jelinski
Sandy Jelinski
Pros
  • "I just celebrated my 7 year anniversary with LMCU(in 20 reviews)

• "The company culture is great here(in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "hard to move up if you cant work full time(in 5 reviews)

• "(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "lmcu"

Return to all Reviews
  1. Featured Review

"Seven Years and Counting!"

Current Employee - Mortgage Post-Closing in KenTownshipood, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

I just celebrated my 7 year anniversary with LMCU! Reflecting back on my time here I can't imagine a better place to work. The pay is fair. The benefits are great. Management and coworkers are kind and understanding. There is always possibility for growth and advancement. I see myself working here until I retire.

Cons

I truly cannot think of any negatives about working for LMCU.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-06-06
  2. "Content but seeking growth"

Current Employee - EServices Department

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

I truly do love working for LMCU. I think it is a great company with good intentions. There is room to grow at the corporate level and there are many perks for long term employees.

Cons

Growth at the corporate level is very slow. Not all employees are willing to wait it out which creates a turnover rate in the back office departments that is alarming.

Advice to Management

- Hire employees with the intent to help them grow. More people will be willing to stick around if they can see a clear path towards their growth with LMCU. - As LMCU grows, stay ahead of the curve and hire more employees BEFORE the workload overwhelms the current staff level. This will allow employees to spend more time with our members to ensure they get the quality service that they deserve and have come to... expect.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-10-17
  3. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

LMCU has a great balance when it comes to your personal life and work balance. The culture at LMCU is one of the best.

Cons

Compensation is on the lower end of the payscale when it comes to other companies with similar positions. However, because of the great culture, the decision is easy. Working for a company that appreciates you is much better than a larger paycheck.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-06-04
  4. "A Team Focused Company"

I worked at Lake Michigan Credit Union part-time

Pros

Everyone is willing to help out when you need it. Very understanding when it comes to just everyday little things. Genuinely good people work at LMCU.

Cons

Not much room to move up in the company. You apply to jobs at corporate, have the experience and a degree, and just never hear back from them. Even when the job is still posted 2 months later.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2019-04-20

Lake Michigan Credit Union Response

May 15, 2019Human Resources Generalist II

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review and for providing us with feedback to improve. We are sorry to hear about your experience with career advancement. Our team is continuously looking for ways to improve to internal recruitment process. If you have any feedback for our team on how to improve, please email employment@lmcu.org with your comments for us to review. We agree that the people at LMCU are what sets us apart and we certainly hope you see us as a long-term fit!

5. "Best place to work"

Current Employee - Mortgage Processor in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

LMCU is an amazing organization. I have been here for 9 years and see myself here for many more to come. The work environment is extremely pleasant, and we live and breathe our culture! #LMCUPRIDE

Cons

I can not think of one right now.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-12-18

"Wonderful Employer with Great Intentions"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Culture. I've worked at other companies, and always wanted to feel as though I am doing something meaningful to make the world a better place. I am able to do that at LMCU. From the top down, leadership stresses the importance of always doing what is right for our members. We really want to improve the financial well-being of the people we serve. We are committed to this mission.

Cons

While the company has great intentions, they don't always choose to do things in the most efficient or effective manner. If we improved some of our systems, processes, and communications, we could be even better than we are.

Advice to Management

Don't ignore the pain points of your employees, or gloss over them. Actively seek out input from all employees regarding the barriers/pain points people face. Then choose to take action to address those issues with solutions.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-06-13

"The Best Place for your Career"

Current Employee - Vice President, Regional Mortgage Production in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

There’s such a great corporate culture present at LMCU. If you are starting your career or a seasoned banking professional, you will find a dynamic culture that leads with doing the right thing. Senior management is very accessible and willing to talk one on one about career goals, current workload and a variety of topics. I have been in the mortgage industry for over 13 years, and LMCU has the right mix of products..., pricing, and passion for our employees.

Cons

LMCU is a very large producing credit union. Be sure to have great time management skills.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-06-06

"Love LMCU"

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Norton Shores, MI

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union part-time for more than a year

Pros

LMCU cares about their Members and their Employees unlike any company I've ever worked for before!

Cons

Wish more full time was available

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-06-04

"Keeping up with the times"

I have been working at Lake Michigan Credit Union full-time

Pros

LMCU has a vibrant staff culture. There is a feeling of family and mutual respect for one another. Beyond the core workplace culture, LMCU also is dedicated to helping our communities we serve and empower all employees to be active in those efforts. I believe this inspires others to work hard and feel a feeling of joint ownership in how they can make a difference.

Cons

Overall, the corporate workplace is lacking in the modern approach to working space. Our demographic of employees are shifting to a younger generation, but the workplace approach is not shifting with that change. Most of the working conditions are left to tall cubicles and dated furniture.

Advice to Management

Our demographic of employees are shifting to a younger generation, but the workplace approach is not shifting with that change. If we want to continue to entice new talent, creating a work environment that is both welcoming and modern will achieve that better. There are several new companies opening in West Michigan that are incentivizing great talent to join them by not just financial composition, but with also... workplace amenities and design. For many of us, we are at work more than we are at home. Creating a space with vibrancy and sophistication, I believe, allows for better creativity and employee appreciation. A great example would be Gordon Food Service corporate center in Wyoming.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-04-12
  10. "Best place to work!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

LMCU likes to promote within giving tons of opportunity to grow in your career. If you have a good work ethic and enjoy working with people I would highly suggest LMCU.

Cons

Honestly I have no negative feedback about working here.

Lake Michigan Credit Union2018-04-02