Lake Shore Marketing Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great experience"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant

I worked at Lake Shore Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with Lake Shore Marketing last year for a couple months. I was in transition trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my career, and I found an opportunity with Lake Shore to develop and hone my marketing/promotions/teamwork skills. I learned a lot of things that have really helped in my current job: how to keep a positive attitude (even when I'm feeling down), managing my time and work ethic, how to read and work with different people, how to carry a, effective sales conversation with a customer, etc. If you are looking for a short term job that will give you a good kick in the pants to get started in what you really want, this is a great opportunity. You will learn a lot about yourself and how to be more successful in your life. I have my perfect job now because of some of the things I learned at Lake Short Marketing.

Cons

If you are not willing to give up your life and spend 10+ hours a day with minimum wage pay (unless you are able to make a ton of sales in the field EVERY DAY you are working) then this is not the job for you. While I learned a lot and got a lot of experience, I basically had to put my life on hold for the couple months I was there. I worked 6 (sometimes 7 or 8) days straight before having one day off, and each day I was working 10+ hours. On rare occasion I did work shorter days (6-8 hours). Those are just the hours I was paid for. You are also expected (you'll lose your job if you don't participate) to give a couple hours of your day for one-on-ones and team building activities that are outside of paid working hours once you are "promoted" to Trainer/Event Manager. You are told that your progression is completely dependent on your own work, but that's not quite true. You can't get into management until you build a team of several people that make it through several months of this kind of work schedule and all individually make it into the training position themselves. It's possible, but goodness, you have to give up a lot. You do get the "opportunity" to travel, but that usually means going to random town by yourself or one other team member (possibly even a stranger) in a different state and staying in a run down motel in the not so pretty part of town (oh, and the only thing paid for is your motel stay and some of your travel expenses). Overall, you do learn a lot and get some neat life opportunities, but unless you are willing to have this type of lifestyle, I wouldn't recommend this job for anything long term. I was always told "Not everyone can do this job" and that there were people who could do it and people who couldn't. It's not that I couldn't do the job; I wouldn't. My job was not and is not the most important thing in my life and not the measure of my success.

Advice to Management

Teaching and offering experience in self-managing and work ethic is great, but sending any human being out to stand in an aisle in a store for 8+ hours a day for 6-7 days straight and expecting a happy/productive/excited attitude the whole time is not the best way to do it. You would be able to build stronger teams and keep more people if you broke up the shifts more....like you say you are going to do during the interview process. Morning meetings are very motivating. They could be more productive though by being longer; less of a pump up session and more of a class-like setting. Since one-on-ones are required outside of work hours without pay, you could probably build these into the morning meetings more. You do a great job at teaching and motivating people. You don't do a good job at keeping people around. I know the purpose of long days and a rough schedule is to make people work hard for the sake of teaching them HOW to work hard...but there is only so much people can do. If you want to build stronger teams of people who want to stick around, start catering more to the "worker bees" and less to management, and start building company morale and not just work ethic.

"Great company, bad management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakewood, CA

Pros

Flexible hours, good company events, competitive salary

Cons

Bad management, lack of direction, project cancellations

3. "Awesome TEAM!"

Current Employee - Marketing Representative and Management Trainee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Lake Shore Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's not one person that makes this place a heck of an enjoyable place to work, it's every one's caliber and long term goals that make us work as a team for one another.

Cons

I work most of the weekends, but I sure make a lot of money on the weekends. At the management position though, I'm excited to have ore schedule flexibilities. My bosses hardly ever work weekends and they are always doing fun stuff!

Advice to Management

You guys are AWESOME!! Thanks for taking the time to get to know me personally and professionally. I've never had a "leader" as a boss; only a BOSS.

"Event Coordinator"

Former Employee - Event Coordinator/Public Relations Assistant in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Marketing and Sales Techniques. Long term business plan

Cons

Where do I begin. After thinking I was one of the "few selected" for a second round interview, I quickly realized my mistake. After working 50 hours a week at a booth that we set up at Sams Club selling bamboo pillows(they are compfy but not worth the$) I realized I was getting paid minimum wage hourly and it was 100% commission based. I recently graduated and money wasn't the thing I was after, more of a reputable company to begin to work at and grow with. I worked my butt off for the owner and at the end of the day, the hours and standing around selling a product to strangers wasn't my idea of an "event coordinator" or even a "public relations assistant". If you are looking for a job in sales and marketing, you are better off selling cars at a used car lot...that might pay more!

Advice to Management

Be honest about not being 100& commisioned based. Also, the hours to work are ridiculous. Seven days a week on a rotating schedule with a day off once a month is ridiculous! and an event coordinator is not a person who goes and sets up a booth at Sams club!

Jun 1, 2015 – Owner

Thank you for applying to Lake Shore Marketing. Lake Shore Marketing is a direct events and promotions company that services the promotions needs of both local and nationally recognized businesses as... More

"It's a cult-like experience."

Pros

It taught me a lot very quickly. And there was plenty of opportunity for me to grow in the business. As long as I was selling, I was making good money. A lot of high-energy, positive people around you shouting things like, "JUICE" at you. Juice is an acronym for Join Us In Creating Excitement. It's a good opportunity to gain sales experience.

Cons

Although it's a sales job, the trainers and management do everything to convince you that it isn't. They do this by making everyone memorize "marketing strategies" that repeat, "We're not sales people, we're promoters." You have to know this verbatim and repeat it evey day before heading into the field. The field is a Sam's Club, Kroger, or Meijer where you set up a booth and sell the product to the shoppers in the store. If you don't sell, you make minimum wage. If that happens you have to talk about what happened with your manager the next day and how to get better. What I disliked the most was being told that I'm self-managing, but then I was constantly micromanaged. I had to check in with my manager every day and break down my day every night, which meant sometimes being on the phone until 10pm. The work days are long, sometimes over 12 hours and weekends are a must. Absolutely no work-like balance.

Advice to Management

If it's a sales job, call it a sales job.

Apr 1, 2015 – Owner

Thank you for recent feedback regarding your time at Lake Shore Marketing. Our hiring managers have reviewed your feedback and appreciate the time you spent working with our team. We understand your... More

"A complete joke!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Lake Shore Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not a desk job, you talk to new people daily, get to be on road for a little time a day.

Cons

Horrible hours, they tell you get paid one amount when its really not even close. You have to meet at there office every mourning where you are greeted by four or five "trainers" who all give you a high five to try and boost your moral for this horrible day that is about to happen. Then you leave to go to your store where your booth is set up and play Billy Mays all day long, basically selling way overprice junk to random shoppers.

Advice to Management

Be upfront about the position when hiring, you tell people they are applying for event management (which is true after working at least 8 months) just say you are going to be in a booth for most of your employment.

Oct 2, 2014 – Owner

We are passionate about creating innovative strategies for our clients and a positive work environment for our employees. We are sorry to hear that your experience at Lake Shore Marketing was not in... More

"DEFINITELY my job I've ever had!!!"

Current Employee - Junior Marketing Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Lake Shore Marketing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lake Shore Marketing has an awesome team environment. All of the co-workers spend a ton of time together and everyone is friends. Upper management genuinely cares about the staff, and that really encourages a fun place to work every single day.

Cons

But if you have to work (which most of us do) Lake Shore is the place to be because it is so much fun.

Advice to Management

Work to keep the office fun and engaged. It is really nice to come into an environment that is not stagnant.

"Tons of fun in the field and with the team!"

Pros

Lake Shore offers a unique opportunity for energetic and outgoing folks because the work involves constantly meeting new people. It is always great to connect with the clients and customers, and since the team is a very social group there is always something fun going on.

Cons

Due to the nature of the space, the work is somewhat demanding. However, if you are willing to stick to it then the hard work will pay off. Your co-workers will always be there to help you and train you if there is anything that you need.

Advice to Management

Do more community service or team building events so that everyone has an opportunity to hang out outside of work!

"Hard Work + Perseverance = Great Opportunity!"

Current Employee - Junior Marketing Associate in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Lake Shore Marketing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is not a huge company with tons of politics and red tape that will prevent you from getting promoted quickly. Many people have moved from entry-level to management in less than a year (think 6 to 8 months), and that same opportunity is literally available to every single applicant that walks through the door.

Cons

Hard work is required to excel at this job. If you are expecting a company that allows you to screw around on the Internet all day then this is certainly not the place for you. However, if you are a tenacious individual then this is a huge opportunity for you.

Advice to Management

You are awesome! Thank you so much for all of your support!

"Lake Scam Marketing"

I worked at Lake Shore Marketing full-time

Pros

You are desperate for money.

Cons

I applied for the position because the advertisement said the position was for event planning. I showed up for the interview and realized that the position was really just a sleazy sales positions. You have to travel to SAMs clubs across Indiana without getting money back. They also tell us that we are payed on commission which is True only if you sell a ridiculous amount of product. They would teach us sleazy sales techniques.The people who worked around me fell for all the stupid stuff they say like, "people who go to SAMs club are rich because they can pay for a SAMs club membership so you will obviously be able to sell to them". This company does not have any values. They lie to their employees and customers.

Advice to Management

Please get some values.

Oct 2, 2014 – Owner

Lake Shore Marketing is a reputable and ethical marketing company. We are sorry to hear that your experience did not fit your career goals at Lake Shore Marketing. We apologize for the experience... More