Lake Trust Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David A. Snodgrass

1. Featured Review

"Lake Trust was the best place I've ever worked"

I worked at Lake Trust Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Time off is SO generous, it was unbelievable at first.

Cons

I can't really think of anything. The only reason I left is because I was offered another job with a pay increase, however I regret my decision. Money isn't always everything. If I could go back I would today.

2. "Best Career Decision I've Made"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brighton, MI

I have been working at Lake Trust Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing culture. Super innovative. Always trying to improve processes and make a larger impact on the communities we serve. Open to all ideas. Nice people everywhere. Unique personalities wanted. I've worked in many organizations and this is one of the best. Beautiful work environment.

Cons

Still going through growing pains. If you don't like change, this may not be a good place to join right now.

Advice to Management

Transparency transparency transparency. Get out to the branches more. Communication could be better.

"No Real Direction"

Current Employee - Branch "Member Experience Associate" in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Branch "Member Experience Associate" in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Lake Trust Credit Union (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly co-workers, paid vacation, pretty work places. Love the CEO David wish his actual views and knowledge weren't over shadowed by the leadership in place.

Cons

Lost their way and place the blame on the "lower employees" instead of the poor leadership they have. When your response to every employees concern is "if you're not happy here maybe Lake Trust isn't for you",then maybe your not doing something right. I have had the opportunity to work in both the headquarters and now the branch and the lack of respect for employees is shockingly consistent where as the training of staff and sharing of important information from leadership is not...

Advice to Management

If you do not like your job don't make everyone else suffer. If you think your job is just a title and you are above anyone there please check yourself. You are losing key employees out of jealousy and being threatened. Instead of trying to change everything, how about making what you have work. If numbers are not where you want them do not add more to your staff's plate, how about you block out your schedule and hop on the teller line or phone and help them out. There is no excuse for a supervisor or branch manager to not know how to do basic transactions or even log into the system but you'd be shocked to see a majority have no clue what they are doing. You can not give a fair job performance review if you don't know what they employee does or if they are even doing it correctly or not. Stop the drama stop the gossip you're doing and work together. The downfall of these company will be solely on the shoulder of the leadership team because the employees have been amazing.

4. "Accounting Assistant"

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Brighton, MI
    Former Employee - Accounting Clerk in Brighton, MI

I worked at Lake Trust Credit Union (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good atmosphere and very friendly staff.

Cons

No open positions available in Accounting.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job.

5. "Mixed Emotions"

Former Employee - Service Representative in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Service Representative in Lansing, MI

I worked at Lake Trust Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A lot of promotion from within, and opportunities to move around if not up in the company. Have paid time for volunteering. Low and entry level positions offer great benefits that i have not seen else where.

Cons

Training is poorest I've experienced. Too much focus on culture, which should speak for itself if it is that strong. Not enough on giving employees what they need to do their job and do it well.

There is a big emphasis on forcing a fun veneer without actually creating a work atmosphere that actually promotes it.

Could be a Pro depending on how you look at it -it is very hard to be terminated. People who are incompetent, counter productive, or simply not a good fit for their role are allowed to stay and flounder or actively subvert the company. This is a stone around the neck of everything in the organization and until it is address it will be very hard for real progress, or "innovation" to take place.

Advice to Management

Big disconnect between the top and the bottom. It is not enough to sit at a table with sign saying "ask me a question", or to buy a new building with the idea of imitating catchy names in the corporate world. Spend time with your employees, and directly ask them what problems they are experiencing they will help you make this company great by fixing the issues. Take the initiative, they already feel that they aren't listened to asking them to start a conversation with someone they don't think is listening about problems they are having is unrealistic.

Be actual voice in the credit union to everyone. If you don't speak others will speak for you and it may not be the message you want.

Focus on developing and realistic training program and put everyone through it.

Do not focus so much on new shiny toys and products, it is better to have a boring not glamorous product that does what it is supposed to and fills the needs it is supposed to, than a flashy new product that does suit the needs of the credit union or the membership.

6. "Been Around the Block..."

Current Employee - Members Experience Associate in Brighton, MI
    Current Employee - Members Experience Associate in Brighton, MI

Pros

Great environment. As of 06/2016 the company is in a growth pattern which means opportunity. The benefit package is fantastic. They will pay you what you are worth and reward excellence. How do you not like a getting better or at least striving for it. Good work, life balance due to hours, even if Saturdays are a constant reality.

Cons

At worst Saturdays are annoying.

Advice to Management

(Upper-management) Lake Trust is leaving money on the table and ignoring opportunities to grow relationships with members. I'd create special positions to assist in that growth because the average employee is not going to willingly change their work habits like someone who is interested if not built to do so. Continue to reward excellence and look for people to help Lake Trust reach its goals. Also, I'd love to see LTCU on Forbes top employers to work for because it has the potential especially now that it is growing and changing so much culturally.

7. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Pros

Prior to their merger in 2010, it was a wonderful, family-oriented place to work.

Cons

The merger in 2010 caused many employees to be let go, including me. Their focus was no longer on giving the best to their employees. It became all about what could be done to make them more money, even if people were hurt along the way. I would not work for this company. They're not your traditional CU you've known from years past and they obviously don't consider their employees top priority.

8. "Used to be the a great place to work..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I worked at Lake Trust Credit Union (More than 8 years)

Pros

Up until the merger of 2012 when NuUnion Credit Union merged with Detroit Edison Credit Union, NuUnion Credit Union had become an awesome place to work. Employees were empowered to make decisions. Management and staff worked together for the good of the members. Working at the Credit Union was something young people aspired to do; it was a place they could grow and learn. Everyone look out for one another. There was a sense of camaraderie.

Cons

The environment at Lake Trust Credit Union changed soon after the first round of lay-offs or the downsizing began, or as I like to call it - the thinning of the herd. As with most credit unions, it was a top heavy organization with too many overpaid management employees with many redundancies. Although the merger promised no employees would be harmed in the process, there were many casualties, mostly tenured employees who cost the company a lot of money. After that, it became a very non-trusting environment and this broke down the camaraderie element creating a dog-eat-dog atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Go back to the way things were at NuUnion Credit Union pre-merger and earn back your employees and members trust again. Give them something to believe in.

9. "It is changing"

Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Brighton, MI
    Current Employee - Contact Center Representative in Brighton, MI

I have been working at Lake Trust Credit Union (More than a year)

Pros

No dress code, lots of PTO, good benefits, new HQ building with 24 hr gym.

Cons

Secretive, clicky, ever changing, no trust.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging and trust your team

"If you aren't one of their clicks you're days are numbered!"

Former Employee - Manager in Lansing, MI
    Former Employee - Manager in Lansing, MI

Pros

A lot of PTO and Holiday time off. Salary and benefits were fair.

Cons

I found the Executive level team to be round holes and square pegs. They did not complement each other. Behind the scenes their was internal squabbling and he said she said was not uncommon from what I was told by confidants who witnessed it. If anyone tried to speak up and confront a leadership team member opinion you were shot down and given the evil stare. That I witnessed first hand. What you have is some people whom should not be in those positions that is it. Either they got their by the infamous backstabbing method, hanging others out to dry, or really just lucked out by merger fate. Being around these individuals was toxic, nice to be far away from most of those people. A bit of advice to the members, you should be concerned who is managing your money and assets. If you only knew how they operate from the inside.

Advice to Management

Most of the upper level management team needs to go. My advice would be to let real leaders lead and most of you should look for jobs more appropriate for your mind and skill sets.