Lake Wales Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Staff RN"

Former Employee - Staff RN
    Former Employee - Staff RN

I worked at Lake Wales Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, chance to grow as a professional, cafeteria employee discount

Cons

Nursing staff ratio is too high, management too worry abt patient's satisfaction, but not employees satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Please give more support to the staff. Be a team player and no a micromanager.

2. "Mental Health Tech / CNA"

I worked at Lake Wales Medical Center part-time

Pros

Great small community based hospital , majority of doctors are great , nurses truly care and know their stuff, friendly environment , good benefits, approachable nursing supervisors

Cons

Hours being cut with or without notice due to census causing employees to use PTO or simply not getting paid
    Rising cost in cafe - low discounts for employees
    Not much room for growth / advancement

3. "Rn"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Lake Wales, FL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Lake Wales, FL

I worked at Lake Wales Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of overtime in the winter due to chronic short staffing.

Cons

Way understaffed to the point of dangerous. Don't care about employees health and safety. You get hurt and you are forgotten. No matter how long you were an employee. It's a good old boy system . If you are liked you will go up the short ladder. If not, you go no where.

Advice to Management

Go work on every floor in every department and see what really goes on. And don't lie to staff about staffing ratios and what is safe and not safe. Hire techs and medics to help out.

4. "Great company"

Former Employee - Monitor Tech in Lake Wales, FL
    Former Employee - Monitor Tech in Lake Wales, FL

Pros

Stable and fun work environment

Cons

small hospital and no forward momentum

5. "They take very good care of their employees."

Former Employee - Rehab Technician in Lake Wales, FL
    Former Employee - Rehab Technician in Lake Wales, FL

I worked at Lake Wales Medical Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They promote from within, I didn't personally experience this but those around me did. They have a lot of socials with free food and goodies for all employees and they recognize when the hospital is doing well. Very good positive reinforcement.

Cons

There was not many cons. It was just hard to get hours in my department so I had to leave for a better opportunity in a different field.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and Chris Jesse in the rehab director is a great guy to work for.

6. "I liked it, until I couldn't anymore"

I have been working at Lake Wales Medical Center part-time

Pros

Radiology crew is good, I like the managers/director. Great pay, one of the best paying hospitals in the area.

Cons

no room for advancement/additional training. They will hire outside of the hospital, to fill positions instead of training the crew they have. Run by nurses, so don't have any run ins with a nurse, you will be wrong.

7. "I worked for Community Health Systems full-time for more than 6 years"

I worked at Lake Wales Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits were ok, most of the nurses were wonderful.

Cons

Constantly looking over your shoulder, everyone tries to report and backstab everyone "throw you under the bus", favortism, childish "clicks". no employee recognition except negative.

Advice to Management

I think the best thing to do would be to clean house.

8. "Amazing management and administration. Best place I've ever worked."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Lake Wales, FL
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Lake Wales, FL

I have been working at Lake Wales Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team work from co-workers AND management. Consistently supportive management. Management treats everyone fairly and listens to staff. Hospital treats staff amazingly and frequently shows the staff appreciation throughout the year in various ways. Boss is willing to work with people on schedules and NEVER acts like you should put your job before family issues/family events. CNO and CEO even "practice what they preach" by exhibiting the behaviors they expect from their hospital staff. CNO and CEO even answer call lights when they pass them when on units and even respond to codes when in house and available to assist (will perform compressions, answer lights while nursing staff is in code or do literally anything they think will help the nurses or patients while a code is taking place). Upper management even takes the time to show individual staff members appreciation for exceptional care or show support to individuals who experience a particularly difficult work day. The reason this is such an amazing place to work is a direct result of the supportive and encouraging leadership of administration and management. They expect the best from their staff, but in return will treat you exceptionally well.

Cons

Smaller sized facility than some local hospitals. Not a con for me, but could be to someone wanting specialized areas to work in.

9. "Think twice before working for that ompany"

Current Employee - Nurse in Lake Wales, FL
    Current Employee - Nurse in Lake Wales, FL

Pros

It is closed to my home. Other than that, the colleagues are very friendly and have a spirit of teamworking. If you want to work either Heart of Florida, Bartow or LWMC, LWMC is better choice to go. Second one is Bartow Hospital, the least is Heart of Florida. ER of Heart of Florida is always flooded with patients. Somtimes it is having 20 holding patients in ER. PCU in HOF is busier and having very sick patients too. My manager in LWMC is pretty good and allows flexibility in scheduling our roster. She is friendly and helpful. She is willing to cross train you if you want.

Cons

The patient to nurse ratio is 7:1 in PCU, very dangerous

Advice to Management

not at this time