Lakeshore Learning Materials Reviews in Carson, CA | Glassdoor

Carson, CA

3.8
Bo Kaplan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Profit sharing bonus (you have to be there for at least 1 year) (in 26 reviews)

• Casual dress code, employee recognition and perks (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • However, I do feel upper management is open to feedback, listens and takes action (in 12 reviews)

• Family-owned, so there are people in positions of power that maybe shouldn't be there (nepotism) (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to work at!!!"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Lakeshore for over 2 years now. This is definitely the work-life balance that i have been looking for. There are times that I do have to stay late or come in early, but I love how I do not have to be attached to my work email past working hours. The people who work here are some of the greatest I have been around...it is definitely a team environment and you are constantly learning. I love the fact that a lot of people have been working here for 25+ years, that in itself is proof of how great this place is. Lakeshore culture is amazing: you get rewarded for your hard work, they celebrate your bday and anniversary like no other place, everyone is friendly. Looking forward to a great career here!!!

Cons

Projects can change at the last-minute which is the nature of the business. So you have to be open to that!

Aug 3, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! We’re just thrilled that you’re finding success here at Lakeshore. And you’re absolutely right—we are surrounded by great people who know how to pull... More

2. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pleasant customers, good working team.

Cons

Inconsistent scheduling and available hours.

"You will either love it or hate it."

Former Employee - Project Manager in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Profit sharing, good benefits, great company culture, fun company moral initiatives (employees of the week, Halloween, summer surprise treats, etc.), not much red tape, you can actually make decisions about certain things without the world approving it, not everything, but some obvious things.

Cons

Depending on the department, management can be really bad. No sense of ownership and no resolve to make changes to a difficult situation. Depending on your position, your work/life balance might be really bad. Mine happened to be really bad, working late hours into the night, then coming home and working from home only to rinse and repeat the next day, but other positions in the company are pretty well balanced. Art departments I know for the most part have pretty balanced schedules and very well managed workloads. Compensation you MUST be happy with when you walk in the door. The last few years any promotions or wage increases are done strictly as a % of your existing salary, not a $ increase and negotiations are not really an option if you're not happy with what you got.

Advice to Management

I have hopes that multiple complaints about a manager would be more seriously considered and dealt with. In my case a manager was complained about over several years and while one attempt was made to improve the manager, no improvements were noticeable and a lot of time passed with more complaints with no other attempt to resolve the issue by HR or upper management.

May 18, 2017 – Human Resources

We’re truly glad that you enjoyed the different company perks and incentives we offer—not to mention the lack of red tape. And the fact that you felt empowered to make your own decisions at Lakeshore... More

"Having a good time!"

Current Employee - N/A in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - N/A in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

While I've only been here a few years, it's been my best stop ever. You can't beat the energy, quality people, cool products, and fun environment. The company cares about employees and I feel it. The standards are very high- but hard work and great performance pays off with a lot of growth opportunity, decent pay increases, corporate training, and fun events. I just experienced my first profit bonus day (thanks for the awesome check!)- there was also a really cool video capturing this event & it made me really proud to work here.

Cons

The company has grown so much we have to operate out of several different buildings which creates inefficiency. Parking is a challenge but the tram is cool.

Advice to Management

The experience I've had has been great so far, keep it going.

Apr 10, 2017 – Human Resources

We’re so glad to hear that you’re feeling taken care of at Lakeshore. Your happiness equals ours! As you know, we’re true believers when it comes to investing in our people, and we’re thrilled to... More

"Great Company, Poor Compensation"

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

Great company (but could be better) and products.
    Profit sharing.
    401K match.
    Halloween celebration.
    Professional development for office software.

Cons

Micromanaging.
    Lack of internal promotion for higher positions.
    Management favors, protects, and promotes other poor managers.
    Company does not compensate employees fairly to industry terms, but expects 110% for departments with little help/staff.
    Few members of management roll up their sleeves and work or understand department procedures.
    Communication policy is outdated and should focus on employee engagement rather than old business manuals.
    HIGH turnover.
    HIGH stress work environment with strict vacation/sick time policy.
    No personal time policy.
    Maternity policy could be better.
    Management is not receptive to modern ideas.
    Lack of management training / mentorships for growth.
    Professional development is not geared toward certification.
    HR does not serve to mentor or offer guidance for employees.

Advice to Management

Work to improve the lives of all employees not just of management. Offer living wage and industry standards compensation. Audit management in real-time and with employee review. Listen to advice of exiting employees. Innovate policies, not just products. Create environments that inspire employees.

Apr 17, 2017 – Human Resources

Hello, thanks for dropping us a note. We can tell you’ve been thinking seriously about things—and we really encourage you to talk with us about your experience. If you’ve visited HR before and walked... More

"People First!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

Pros

It's all about People at Lakeshore. In my 20 year professional career, I've never experienced such a high-level of engagement and interest from Senior & Executive Leadership when it comes to taking care of and providing amazing and inspirational opportunities for employees. The amount of time, money and resources that Lakeshore dedicates to ensuring employees feel valued, recognized and appreciated is by far the most I've ever had the pleasure to be apart of. Examples include: Profit Sharing, Best in class Professional Development opportunities, Weekly employee recognition awards, Seasonal employee appreciation events, Convenient on-site nursery & pre-school for employees with children, Well-stocked employee kitchens/break rooms and because there are a limited number of restaurants around the area, Lakeshore brings in a variety of food and coffee trucks each week. I couldn't be more proud to work at Lakeshore and I'm grateful for the opportunity.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. All good stuff!

Feb 17, 2017 – Human Resources

We’re so happy to hear that even with all of the knowledge and experience you’ve gained over the past 20 years, your time at Lakeshore has still surpassed your expectations! We work hard to give our... More

"Lakeshore learning material"

Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Care Agent in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Care Agent in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, relax work environment, easy training, and big company.

Cons

Can be repetitive work and be boring at times. Seasonal position was a low pay.

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

Lakeshore has been such a success story for me and others that it is hard to not have rave reviews. I interviewed with a clear career path and at the time Lakeshore felt I was not ready. In hindsight I wasn’t, but they liked my attitude and work diligently to bring me into the company with the understanding that if I put in the work to get myself to where I needed to be while contributing to the company that I would get there. Less than a year into working at Lakeshore they were impressed with my development and contributions and followed through with their end of the deal and I am now working in my dream career and couldn’t be happier.

Working in multiple departments and in both buildings, I can confidently say that the employees at Lakeshore are some of the nicest and most passionate people I have ever met. Everyone cares about the success of the company because the company rewards the employees with profit sharing and great perks that are hard to find elsewhere. Everyone has a stake and a feeling of ownership in the company and this translates into everyone giving it their all and helping others to get up to speed in a friendly and collaborative work environment. Also if you have little ones, the store discount and daycare are hard to beat!

Cons

The parking lot is a bit of a walk and there aren’t a lot of food options around for lunch, but Lakeshore offers regular shuttles to accommodate the walk and we have a variety of food trucks every day, as well as a food store on site, to give people options. I will admit that I’ve heard some complain about the quirky nature of Lakeshore, but to many this is what makes Lakeshore so special – open Q&A Sessions held annually with the owner, big Halloween costume parties, weekly gameshows to reward outstanding employees with cash prizes, casual dress, etc. Those from corporate America may have trouble adjusting to this laid back environment, but those who embrace it love it and can’t imagine working anywhere else.

"Don't believe the positive reviews"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Regular hours. This job has been consistent 8:30 - 5:00 for the entire time I've been here.

Minimal overtime. My department has a busy season when we have a "mandatory" overtime quota. But even that quota is reasonable.

Good compensation. I think I'd be hard pressed to receive equal pay doing the same job somewhere else.

Cons

Don't believe all the glowing reviews. I know for a fact that the HR department regularly posts fake reviews with goal of increasing Lakeshore's rating.

The positive reviews are fake!

Poor management structure, more of a free for all than anything else. No cooperation between managers, active animosity and petty territoriality. Tons of back-stabbing. Non-stop gossip. Terrible planning and execution. Innumerable last-minute changes. Favoritism and Nepotism galore!

I've seen so many good people given no support, belittled, made to feel like a failure, driven to fear and paranoia, left to fail, and then being made the scape goat. I've seen it so many times that it is without doubt standard operating procedure. And, I am left with the self-loathing conclusion that it is only a matter of time before it happens to me too. Mark my sage words you free souls on the outside.

People are fired or burned out. Few make it out on their own terms, and we who remain envy all who do!!!!

The building is a filthy converted warehouse, with no windows, and nasty second-hand furniture.

Advice to Management

It takes more than a free Double-Double and an ice cream to make employees happy. It even takes more than good pay. If you want good reviews, don't direct your HR department to lie on Glassdoor. Find out what's really wrong. Don't listen to your yes men and yes women (you know who they are). Have the courage to make real changes.

There is so much that is great about Lakeshore. Build on what's great. Make this company what it should be.

Jan 13, 2017 – Human Resources

While your review was hard to read, I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts. As Lakeshore’s Chief People Officer, I’m glad you’re satisfied with your schedule and pay, but I was so... More

"You'll Love it at Lakeshore!"

Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Senior User Experience Designer in Carson, CA

Pros

My experience thus far at Lakeshore has been stellar, from the hiring process / on boarding / to my day to day I'm very proud to have landed here. I was recruited by Amy and throughout the process she was completely open with me and really helped me feel comfortable about the possibility of joining the Lakeshore Family.

After a phone screen (which felt more like an old friend wanting to reconnect) she had piqued my interest, and I made the time to come in the following week to interview. The day of my interview I met with her, the Director of my department, and the SVP of E-Commerce. The conversations flowed naturally and none of the typical interview questions came up, because they wanted to know more about my fit in the company rather than textbook questions asked by every other recruiter.

I felt really good about how the day had gone while driving home, and that feeling was validated when I got a call from Amy with a job offer that I gladly accepted! I'm coming up on my 6 month anniversary and I love the enthusiasm of everyone I work with.

I look forward to growing in my role here, and can't wait to see what the future holds for Lakeshore!

Cons

None to date, only that I didn't start sooner!

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees via professional training and watch them boost value in each respective department.

Oct 5, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

We know the decision to change jobs or move to a new company is a big one, so we put a lot of energy into making the interview, onboarding and training process as straightforward and informative as... More