Lakeshore Learning Materials Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Bo Kaplan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great co-workers, good pay, good benefits, profit sharing bonus one a year" (in 27 reviews)

• "A family owned business who treats their employees like family" (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Depending on your position, your work/life balance might be really bad" (in 5 reviews)

• "No cons to share during my working experience" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time

Pros

Great managers, and co-workers. We all work together.

Cons

There's not many hours given per week.

"Best company in LA area to work for!"

Current Employee - E-commerce Merchandising Manager in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - E-commerce Merchandising Manager in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lakeshore has been a breath of fresh air. I've worked here for over two years now, with six years at various corporate fashion companies before that. Before Lakeshore I did not feel valued or that my work made a difference to the company or the community; I have finally found a home, a place I can put some roots down. Lakeshore is privately owned by a great family - the company culture is so respectful and kind (nothing I've ever experienced before in the fashion industry). Working with educational products is so rewarding; our product developers are all former teachers so they are so creative as they develop products that help teach our kids! Lakeshore even values education for their employees with free classes on so many different subjects! The company's priorities are educating our children, customer satisfaction, top quality product, and employee satisfaction / longevity; making a profit is simply a bi-product of everyone's hard work. It's so great to be apart of this company and industry....a company that cares and actually makes a difference in our community. I absolutely love it here!

Cons

I haven't experienced any cons while working for Lakeshore - a hidden gem in LA :)

Jul 10, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review! We’re thrilled to hear that you’re having a rewarding experience here. It sounds like you really understand the core of who we... More

"Career Opportunity"

Current Employee - Manager in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great hard-working people to work with. I've been fortunate to work with people and managers that have supported me and put me in a position to succeed.
    - Growing Company that's not going anywhere
    - Open Communication with Management
    - Company continues to adapt with the changing environments
    - Advancement opportunities available - as the Company continues to grow, more opportunities become available. Being flexible and adaptable to the growth and changes of the Company is key if you want to move up.
    - Good Benefits
    - Technical and Soft Skills training is available to all employees of all levels
    - Family oriented
    - Hard work is recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Nothing that doesn't come with the territory. Be willing and able to adapt to changing environments. You will be challenged to put your best foot forward.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the employees that invest themselves into Lakeshore. It can be a challenging work environment so continue to set employees up for success by providing the tools and support they need to excel.

Jul 5, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing! We’re so happy to hear that you’ve felt supported in your career and that you’ve noticed the many growth opportunities Lakeshore has to... More

"Working at Lakeshore Learning"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Providence, RI

Pros

Growth/Career Development, Competitive Environment, Fun, Teamwork, Family Culture, Innovative, Strong Support System, Work/Life Balance, Open Communication

Cons

Negatives don't exist- Open communication allows the company and work environment to stay fresh, fun and innovative

"Regional Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Manager

Pros

It is all about the people here at Lakeshore. I love the culture and the atmosphere that my Regional VP and the executive team have created for the outside sales teams. Our products are best in show on the market, I get all the support needed to be successful in the field, ie inside partner is assigned to me, customer service assistant is assigned to me, our inventory is never a question, and I can go on and on. It has been so refreshing coming from the medical sales industry to come to a place where you are valued like family. I thought things were almost to good to be true when I first started, now 5 years later, I'm writing this message (I've never done this before) out of respect for the company I believe and trust in, because they are still to good to be true. Oh, and since making money as a Regional Manager (sales) is upmost important to me, I've made more money the last 3 years than I could have imagined because of an uncapped comp structure.

Cons

None that are concerning enough to share..... honestly!

Advice to Management

I'm close to my Regional VP, he actually came to my wedding with his wife. Again, Lakeshore sales division has a family feel to it. In 2018, that is tremendously unique when your looking at a sales role with anyone these days.

Jul 5, 2018 – Human Resources

We couldn’t be more pleased you’ve found a home here! It’s true that our people are our highest priority, and it sounds like you value the close-knit team environment here as much as we do. It’s so... More

6. "School set up work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly and helpful throughout hiring process, everyone works hard and gets the job done.

Cons

None, company is very effective with everything.

Advice to Management

None, they are great.

"Great company culture and even better management"

Current Employee - UI Developer in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - UI Developer in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Communication and training is second to none.
    Tools that are used are efficient and modern

Cons

Vacation time is limited, you are only given national holidays off.

"Sales"

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time

Pros

Environment, teamwork, benefits, and great supervisors

Cons

No cons as of yet

9. "Customer Service 2 months"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Carson, CA

Pros

Benefits were the best I've ever had, great pay, weekends off, desk space. Puts the customer first at all times.

Cons

Very Outdated, outdated system. Uses too many unnecessary systems. No room for feedback (if you are an outspoken person, may not be the job for you) Poor training. Have to tolerate a high a stress level until you can understand the work. Large amount of information to learn. A lot of gossiping and talking behind each others back from the same people in the customer service room, which makes a new hire feel uncomfortable. Condescending tones. I've heard a trainer call a recent hirer stupid behind her back for making a mistake on her solver(paperwork). If you take on the job, you have to stay strong minded and play your part to fit in. (DO NOT, come in trying to change things) They like the way things are and i do not see them changing it any time soon.

Advice to Management

Update your training to power points, have an accurate up to date training manual, train in a more effective and positive way, focus on one subject at time with only 1-2 suitable trainers. (training changes from topic to topic, which can become confusing)

Jul 6, 2018 – Human Resources

First, I want to thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. As Lakeshore’s Director of Customer Relations, I completely own that our systems are a little outdated. Sometimes it takes a big... More

10. "High pressure sales"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Merriam, KS
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Merriam, KS

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, management team was friendly to work with.

Cons

High pressure sales for mostly low quality products.