Lakeshore Learning Materials Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Bo Kaplan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great co-workers, good pay, good benefits, profit sharing bonus one a year" (in 27 reviews)

• "A family owned business who treats their employees like family" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Depending on your position, your work/life balance might be really bad" (in 6 reviews)

• "No cons to share during my working experience" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Very good place to work"

Current Employee - Associate in Midway, KY
    Current Employee - Associate in Midway, KY

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’m an associate at the midway distribution center and all I have seen is good management that genuinely cares about the employees

- supervisors care about the employees thoughts and use their ideas to improve the workplace making things more efficient.

-have good benefits and try to make sure their employees are well taken care of.

Cons

None that I can think of

Easy rules as far as dress codes and attendance policies.

- show up and work hard and you will do well here.

Advice to Management

None.

Sep 10, 2018 – Human Resources

We love hearing from our team members in Midway! We couldn’t be more thrilled to hear that your experience with us has been a positive one. Words cannot express how thankful we are for the work you... More

"Lots of Opportunities to Learn and Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Since Lakeshore is family owned, it feels like a small company even though you are working for a huge leader in the education world. The people in charge know my name, and that makes me feel valued. There are fun employee appreciation events like a Halloween party during the workday and “Summer Surprise” where you receive gifts and yummy treats (just to name a few), and they make a big deal out of your Lakeshore anniversary each year.

I love that Lakeshore likes to promote from from within. I’m currently in Sales but have also worked in Marketing and Events. There’s room to grow and try new things when the time is right. They only hire the best, so you’re working with super smart, dedicated and capable people. There’s a ton of experience at Lakeshore too - two people in my department have each been with the company for over 25 years (and that’s true for a lot of the departments). I also love that you can wear whatever you want to work. Lakeshore is more concerned that you work hard and do a good job, not whether you wear yoga clothes every day.

Lakeshore does have high expectations. Be prepared to work hard. If you are capable and take the initiative, the opportunities are endless.

Cons

Because they expect a lot out of their employees, you’ll have to set good boundaries to maintain the work/life balance that’s right for you.

Sep 10, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for the positive feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to tell your story and let us know what kind of impression our culture has made on you personally. From the sound of it... More

"Outside Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

- Great product that is easy to "get behind" and pretty much sells for itself
    - Many supportive, friendly,, down-to-earth coworkers
    - Supportive of employees when it comes to personal life, health, etc.

Cons

- Outside sales team works hard to independently generate leads and see through the entire sales process. Though the company says that they offer support, and encourages you to use your resources, the "resources" are people who are spread too thin and are often unable to prioritize their support effectively. Additionally, the outside sales team is supposed to support their local retail stores, driving sales to the stores in order to make retail numbers look higher than they actually are. So, as an outside salesperson, you are really acting as inside sales, outside sales, conference-goer, lead-generator, and retail manager. It's a lot.
    - Company does not have any Mission or Goals other than to increase sales. They are constantly making changes. Oftentimes, they will implement a new vision for the company and then 3 months later, it is completely forgotten.
    - Bit of a "Boys Club" in terms of how the company is run. Though they are very proud of the women who are in management (and there are a good amount in management), those women are either a bit of a bully, or a wet rag.
    - HR dept cannot be trusted by employees.

Advice to Management

- Do your homework before making company-wide decisions. Consult with outside companies, look at territory maps and volume, see how to use your Inside Team Effectively.
    - Realize that Sales and Retail are different entities and hire good leaders who will assist, instead of bully, in order to increase sales.
    - Stop having HR create fake-posts on Glassdoor in order to look better. Own up to your faults and challenges and genuinely work hard to make a better working environment for your employees.

Sep 10, 2018 – President of Sales

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I was surprised to see that you feel working with our retail stores is a drawback—because I see the integration of our sales teams as one of the most amazing... More

4. "Most of these reviews are fake"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They make it seem like it’s about the children

Cons

Just run from this company . The managers in sales have no clue how to manage. They are looking for Robots. Trying to turn into a real sales organization but the management is to slow to catch on.

Advice to Management

Get new management .

Sep 24, 2018 – Human Resources

Hello—We see that you’ve posted multiple reviews, and it’s unfortunate that you have not been able to move on. We’re not sure why you’ve been allowed to create multiple posts, since this is a... More

"Fake reviews!! Terrible company. Don’t feed into the dream they sell"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits is decent and company credit card

Cons

They want somebody they can control. Very unhealthy environment. Management are terrible and really don’t know anything about the position. I wish I would of stayed with my previous company but they recruited me and I fell for there lies.

Advice to Management

Get more people of color in management.
    Stop selling people the dream

Sep 24, 2018 – Human Resources

Hello again - As mentioned in our response to your review dated September 23, 2018, we ask that you please leave your feedback once. Posting multiple reviews that are similar is not helpful to the... More

"Best company in LA area to work for!"

Current Employee - E-commerce Merchandising Manager in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - E-commerce Merchandising Manager in Carson, CA

Pros

Lakeshore has been a breath of fresh air. I've worked here for over two years now, with six years at various corporate fashion companies before that. Before Lakeshore I did not feel valued or that my work made a difference to the company or the community; I have finally found a home, a place I can put some roots down. Lakeshore is privately owned by a great family - the company culture is so respectful and kind (nothing I've ever experienced before in the fashion industry). Working with educational products is so rewarding; our product developers are all former teachers so they are so creative as they develop products that help teach our kids! Lakeshore even values education for their employees with free classes on so many different subjects! The company's priorities are educating our children, customer satisfaction, top quality product, and employee satisfaction / longevity; making a profit is simply a bi-product of everyone's hard work. It's so great to be apart of this company and industry....a company that cares and actually makes a difference in our community. I absolutely love it here!

Cons

I haven't experienced any cons while working for Lakeshore - a hidden gem in LA :)

Jul 10, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review! We’re thrilled to hear that you’re having a rewarding experience here. It sounds like you really understand the core of who we... More

7. "Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time

Pros

Great managers, and co-workers. We all work together.

Cons

There's not many hours given per week.

"Career Opportunity"

Current Employee - Manager in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Carson, CA

Pros

- Great hard-working people to work with. I've been fortunate to work with people and managers that have supported me and put me in a position to succeed.
    - Growing Company that's not going anywhere
    - Open Communication with Management
    - Company continues to adapt with the changing environments
    - Advancement opportunities available - as the Company continues to grow, more opportunities become available. Being flexible and adaptable to the growth and changes of the Company is key if you want to move up.
    - Good Benefits
    - Technical and Soft Skills training is available to all employees of all levels
    - Family oriented
    - Hard work is recognized and rewarded.

Cons

Nothing that doesn't come with the territory. Be willing and able to adapt to changing environments. You will be challenged to put your best foot forward.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in the employees that invest themselves into Lakeshore. It can be a challenging work environment so continue to set employees up for success by providing the tools and support they need to excel.

Jul 5, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we’re doing! We’re so happy to hear that you’ve felt supported in your career and that you’ve noticed the many growth opportunities Lakeshore has to... More

"Working at Lakeshore Learning"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Providence, RI

Pros

Growth/Career Development, Competitive Environment, Fun, Teamwork, Family Culture, Innovative, Strong Support System, Work/Life Balance, Open Communication

Cons

Negatives don't exist- Open communication allows the company and work environment to stay fresh, fun and innovative

"Regional Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Manager

Pros

It is all about the people here at Lakeshore. I love the culture and the atmosphere that my Regional VP and the executive team have created for the outside sales teams. Our products are best in show on the market, I get all the support needed to be successful in the field, ie inside partner is assigned to me, customer service assistant is assigned to me, our inventory is never a question, and I can go on and on. It has been so refreshing coming from the medical sales industry to come to a place where you are valued like family. I thought things were almost to good to be true when I first started, now 5 years later, I'm writing this message (I've never done this before) out of respect for the company I believe and trust in, because they are still to good to be true. Oh, and since making money as a Regional Manager (sales) is upmost important to me, I've made more money the last 3 years than I could have imagined because of an uncapped comp structure.

Cons

None that are concerning enough to share..... honestly!

Advice to Management

I'm close to my Regional VP, he actually came to my wedding with his wife. Again, Lakeshore sales division has a family feel to it. In 2018, that is tremendously unique when your looking at a sales role with anyone these days.

Jul 5, 2018 – Human Resources

We couldn’t be more pleased you’ve found a home here! It’s true that our people are our highest priority, and it sounds like you value the close-knit team environment here as much as we do. It’s so... More