Lakeshore Learning Materials Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Bo Kaplan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Profit sharing bonus (you have to be there for at least 1 year) (in 26 reviews)

• Casual dress code, employee recognition and perks (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Job stability/turnover rate: Some departments had a really high turnover rate (in 6 reviews)

• There's no windows, no natural light (in 6 reviews)

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lakeshore takes an interest in helping their employees grow. They created a whole department dedicated to helping employees improve skills such as time management, and communication. They also offer training in Excel, and much more. All optional of course, but highly recommended.

Cons

Be prepared to go the extra mile. We work hard at Lakeshore to provide the highest quality of service to our customers, so employees should do what is needed to make sure our customers have the best possible experience.

"Amazing Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Regional Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Manager

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, people and leadership! Highly motivating and rewarding! Been at Lakeshore for a year and have loved every day!

Cons

IF there are any... I havent found them yet!

Advice to Management

Great management from the top all the way down! Amazing communication, compensation, motivation and leadership!

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best and most durable educational resources. Pay seems good on paper. Hard working co-workers. If you like high school drama, this is the perfect place for you.

Cons

Very strange culture. No logic to the madness. High turn-over even though the claim is to be a family company. Little support from management. No work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Need more training on how to manage in a successful manner. Two ways to manage: fear or encouragement/support...stop choosing fear! It will only work for so long before people tire of the silliness. It continues to hurt our reputation in the industry. People are smarter than you believe.

"Great Work Environment Where You Are Challenged Daily!"

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

I've seen that Lakeshore is about People- they demand greatness and reward you when you deliver it. Management/Ownership understands people work for people and maintain a family style culture in the organization. They're open to feedback at all levels I've interacted with and seem genuinely thankful when feedback is provided. It's still a small enough company where if you work your tail off you can get recognized fairly quickly- something I've not seen at previous employers.

Cons

They only employ the best of the best- not an easy company to get into.
    You're as good as what you produce daily and it is a demanding environment that rapidly changes and you need to be flexible to keep up.

Advice to Management

Culture is spoken about a lot- make sure it's protected.
    We have a great speaker for a CEO- find ways to get him in front of more people, it's inspirational.

5. "Not my favorite place"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a lot of the sweetest customers that are just wanting to help children learn. A lot of grandparents, parents, teachers, all people who make it fabulous.

Cons

It gets really boring to a point where you want to just go home and never come back. It definitely is a hard place to work when it is a slow season.

Advice to Management

Please do not send us in the back to work. It drives us up a wall and we'd rather be on the floor.

Lakeshore Learning Materials Response

Aug 18, 2017 – Director of Retail HR

It’s great to hear that helping our customers is the most rewarding part of your job.
    We couldn’t agree more—our customers are absolutely fabulous! While some of the stores’ operational tasks may... More

6. "Great place to work at!!!"

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Carson, CA

Pros

I have been working at Lakeshore for over 2 years now. This is definitely the work-life balance that i have been looking for. There are times that I do have to stay late or come in early, but I love how I do not have to be attached to my work email past working hours. The people who work here are some of the greatest I have been around...it is definitely a team environment and you are constantly learning. I love the fact that a lot of people have been working here for 25+ years, that in itself is proof of how great this place is. Lakeshore culture is amazing: you get rewarded for your hard work, they celebrate your bday and anniversary like no other place, everyone is friendly. Looking forward to a great career here!!!

Cons

Projects can change at the last-minute which is the nature of the business. So you have to be open to that!

Lakeshore Learning Materials Response

Aug 3, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks so much for sharing your experience! We’re just thrilled that you’re finding success here at Lakeshore. And you’re absolutely right—we are surrounded by great people who know how to pull... More

7. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible, casual dress code, great co-workers

Cons

Poor company policies. Work can become tiring.

8. "Lakeshore was actually not a bad place to work. Hands on . A lot of moving around. They have the strongest customer serv"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Scarsdale, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Scarsdale, NY

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great environment. Friendly people for the most part. You learn a lot, and understand what customer services in a good way

Cons

Working late hours and uniform and wearing that apron was the worst. I think it should be wear what u want

Advice to Management

Get to know everyone, before making judgements and believing the first story that comes to you.

"Walnut Creek Store Location"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time

Pros

Fun work environment, Comparable to other retail positions

Cons

Store and district management is poorly organized, micro-manages and is inconsiderate of employee time constraints and availability.

10. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pleasant customers, good working team.

Cons

Inconsistent scheduling and available hours.