Lakeshore Learning Materials Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bo Kaplan

Pros
  • You also qualify for profit sharing after 3 months, which is an added bonus (in 24 reviews)

• This family owned company really knows how to treat an employee no matter your job title (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • However, I do feel upper management is open to feedback, listens and takes action (in 12 reviews)

• Family-owned, so there are people in positions of power that maybe shouldn't be there (nepotism) (in 6 reviews)

"Great Company to Work for"

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lakeshore treats their people as one of the most valuable assets. The company invests a lot in talent training. The new training department offers training classes not only to the managers, but also to every employee. The classes teach employees handy skill, which is beneficial to their people’s long term career development.

The company is also very family friendly. They have an on sight day care which provide cost benefits and huge convenience to the employees who have kids.

Cons

Keep on being a great company!

Feb 17, 2017 – Human Resources

We’re thrilled you’ve been enjoying our new training program! Lakeshore University offers great classes for all experience levels on everything from using Excel to effective communication. Don’t ... More

"People First!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

Pros

It's all about People at Lakeshore. In my 20 year professional career, I've never experienced such a high-level of engagement and interest from Senior & Executive Leadership when it comes to taking care of and providing amazing and inspirational opportunities for employees. The amount of time, money and resources that Lakeshore dedicates to ensuring employees feel valued, recognized and appreciated is by far the most I've ever had the pleasure to be apart of. Examples include: Profit Sharing, Best in class Professional Development opportunities, Weekly employee recognition awards, Seasonal employee appreciation events, Convenient on-site nursery & pre-school for employees with children, Well-stocked employee kitchens/break rooms and because there are a limited number of restaurants around the area, Lakeshore brings in a variety of food and coffee trucks each week. I couldn't be more proud to work at Lakeshore and I'm grateful for the opportunity.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. All good stuff!

Feb 17, 2017 – Human Resources

We’re so happy to hear that even with all of the knowledge and experience you’ve gained over the past 20 years, your time at Lakeshore has still surpassed your expectations! We work hard to give our ... More

"The best roller coaster ride you'll ever get on"

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Best reason to work at lakeshore learning is the people. The owners. No day is ever the same, never have Not gotten a pay check on time, wonderful benifits, and it's just fun!

Cons

Cons, shipments are sorta a pain, however if your store is empty can't sell anything.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing! Listening to your people and meeting their needs! Great job!!!

"Best people to work with!!!"

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've never worked for a company where the people is why i love the company so much. People really are like family here...they care about you, there is a mix of hard work, fun, and just enjoying your time together. It's awesome to work for a company where you see so many people passionate about the service and the products.

Cons

It's not a place for employees to just "kick it" at their job. The days go by fast because of the workload and busy times...but that is a plus for many people. This company is great for those who aren't afraid of busy work and also can be flexible with changes. Having changes constantly livens up the atmosphere, which works for many people.

Advice to Management

Continue to celebrate employees' ideas and great efforts!

Feb 17, 2017 – Human Resources

We definitely love to work hard and play hard at Lakeshore! We’ve put a lot of passion and energy into growing this company over the last 60+ years, and we continue to set high goals in order to ... More

6. "Lakeshore learning material"

Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Care Agent in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Customer Care Agent in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, relax work environment, easy training, and big company.

Cons

Can be repetitive work and be boring at times. Seasonal position was a low pay.

"AMAZING!"

Pros

Positive work environment! Management always keeping employees on tasks.

Cons

Only change that should be considered is pay.

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

Lakeshore has been such a success story for me and others that it is hard to not have rave reviews. I interviewed with a clear career path and at the time Lakeshore felt I was not ready. In hindsight I wasn’t, but they liked my attitude and work diligently to bring me into the company with the understanding that if I put in the work to get myself to where I needed to be while contributing to the company that I would get there. Less than a year into working at Lakeshore they were impressed with my development and contributions and followed through with their end of the deal and I am now working in my dream career and couldn’t be happier.

Working in multiple departments and in both buildings, I can confidently say that the employees at Lakeshore are some of the nicest and most passionate people I have ever met. Everyone cares about the success of the company because the company rewards the employees with profit sharing and great perks that are hard to find elsewhere. Everyone has a stake and a feeling of ownership in the company and this translates into everyone giving it their all and helping others to get up to speed in a friendly and collaborative work environment. Also if you have little ones, the store discount and daycare are hard to beat!

Cons

The parking lot is a bit of a walk and there aren’t a lot of food options around for lunch, but Lakeshore offers regular shuttles to accommodate the walk and we have a variety of food trucks every day, as well as a food store on site, to give people options. I will admit that I’ve heard some complain about the quirky nature of Lakeshore, but to many this is what makes Lakeshore so special – open Q&A Sessions held annually with the owner, big Halloween costume parties, weekly gameshows to reward outstanding employees with cash prizes, casual dress, etc. Those from corporate America may have trouble adjusting to this laid back environment, but those who embrace it love it and can’t imagine working anywhere else.

"Don't believe the positive reviews"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Regular hours. This job has been consistent 8:30 - 5:00 for the entire time I've been here.

Minimal overtime. My department has a busy season when we have a "mandatory" overtime quota. But even that quota is reasonable.

Good compensation. I think I'd be hard pressed to receive equal pay doing the same job somewhere else.

Cons

Don't believe all the glowing reviews. I know for a fact that the HR department regularly posts fake reviews with goal of increasing Lakeshore's rating.

The positive reviews are fake!

Poor management structure, more of a free for all than anything else. No cooperation between managers, active animosity and petty territoriality. Tons of back-stabbing. Non-stop gossip. Terrible planning and execution. Innumerable last-minute changes. Favoritism and Nepotism galore!

I've seen so many good people given no support, belittled, made to feel like a failure, driven to fear and paranoia, left to fail, and then being made the scape goat. I've seen it so many times that it is without doubt standard operating procedure. And, I am left with the self-loathing conclusion that it is only a matter of time before it happens to me too. Mark my sage words you free souls on the outside.

People are fired or burned out. Few make it out on their own terms, and we who remain envy all who do!!!!

The building is a filthy converted warehouse, with no windows, and nasty second-hand furniture.

Advice to Management

It takes more than a free Double-Double and an ice cream to make employees happy. It even takes more than good pay. If you want good reviews, don't direct your HR department to lie on Glassdoor. Find out what's really wrong. Don't listen to your yes men and yes women (you know who they are). Have the courage to make real changes.

There is so much that is great about Lakeshore. Build on what's great. Make this company what it should be.

Jan 13, 2017 – Human Resources

While your review was hard to read, I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts. As Lakeshore’s Chief People Officer, I’m glad you’re satisfied with your schedule and pay, but I was so ... More

"Lakeshore Recognizes Talent!"

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lakeshore is the most encouraging company I’ve ever worked for. No job is too big, or too small, and whether you're an Admin Assistant, Janitor, Manager, or Warehouse Employee, you are given the same opportunities to grow within the company. At Lakeshore, employees are encouraged to work-hard, be innovative, & continue to learn and develop their skills. I've been with Lakeshore for only 5 months, and have already been promoted! Lakeshore recognizes the potential in each and every one of their employees, and Managers work hard to get their staff the praise they deserve!

My favorite part about working for Lakeshore is that it cares about its employees. In the HR department we work extremely hard to get great people employed, but work even harder to make sure that our employees are happy and thriving! At Lakeshore we are encouraged to find new ways to effectively do our jobs and everyone’s ideas are heard and valued. As long as you are dedicated, and have the drive to learn, you will be very successful here at Lakeshore!

Cons

Everything I have to say about Lakeshore is positive! Lakeshore has given me so many growth opportunities, in such little time!

Advice to Management

Continue to be advocates for your staff! We appreciate it and it makes us want to work even harder!

"Do not ever try"

Pros

Do not ever try to take an offer even if they offer you billion dollar. No one can describe the work environment, Ethics,Innovation,Lies,attitude,cheating....

Cons

All what i believe and sure about that all positive reviews 100% if it is not 1000% from 8 to 10 people maximum that are forced to fake it. Do not ever think about ruin your career and choose this horrible environment. Not worth the try even if the offer is reasonable ..