Lakeshore Learning Materials Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Bo Kaplan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great co-workers, good pay, good benefits, profit sharing bonus one a year (in 27 reviews)

• A family owned business who treats their employees like family (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Job stability/turnover rate: Some departments had a really high turnover rate (in 6 reviews)

• No cons to share during my working experience (in 6 reviews)

"Good Pay and Great People"

Pros

Great co-workers, good pay, good benefits, profit sharing bonus one a year.

Cons

You have to park far from the building.

Advice to Management

We're all on the same team, trying to achieve the same end result-Managers need to remind their teams more often of this fact, daily even.

"Main Corporate Office (not the sales office)"

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

wear what you want, company kitchen, spin and win!

Cons

Favoritism, “cliques”, lack of actual job training, more time spent meeting people than learning about the job.
    To get promoted, you have to really “stand out” in almost an obnoxious way. Also, when new positions open, they don’t let us know. If you are the “chosen one” you get notified that you’re being considered. Other than that, who knows what new opportunities are pending.

Advice to Management

Have training about the actual position, rather than just throwing us in. The 2 week “training” schedule isn’t really training. Levels of expectations should be set during this time frame. I’ve already been talked to regarding my position, this whole time I thought I was doing great! No one set the expectation as to where I should be as of now.

Jan 12, 2018 – Chief People Officer

I’m happy to hear you’re enjoying some of our perks, including the casual dress code and our employee recognition program, Spin & Win. Thank you for bringing up internal promotion opportunities... More

"Sales Representative"

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time

Pros

good job lots of sales and rewards available

Cons

always have to have a happy smile on

"Great Employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I know, 5 stars might seems a stretch but keep reading. I've been here a long time so I've seen a lot. First, employees (right up there with customers) are king. The owners listen to their employees and make changes for the better based on feedback. Second, I work with an incredibly diverse and dedicated group of people of all backgrounds and ages. To succeed here, you need to work hard - you get out of it what you put into it. Lastly, I get to see a side of the company that many don't get to see - their true care and compassion for employees when they are in need. Not to mention the great medical plan (including free onsite flu shots), 401(k) match, profit bonus and fun events throughout the year.

Cons

While they added 'Company Kitchen' there are not a lot of healthy eating options internally or nearby - would love some sort of fresh salad bar or cafeteria. No flex work schedules such as 9/80 and very little work from home opportunity.

Advice to Management

Continue to change, grow and challenge. It helps us stay viable both personally and as a company.

Dec 8, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for the 5-star review! We’re so grateful you’ve been part of the Lakeshore family for so many years—and that you bring such a positive outlook and great work ethic to the job. Dedicated... More

"Order Taker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are amazing!!! They truly made going to work a joy every day.

Cons

Some managers don't have much experience, they don't seem to care enough about their department but are quick to take credit when things go very well.

Dec 8, 2017 – Human Resources

We appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts, and your assessment of our team is spot-on—they truly are an amazing group! We also agree that management training is an important area of... More

"Regional Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Fort Mill, SC
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Fort Mill, SC

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility with territory. Strong support and collaboration with team members. Family approach to business!

Cons

Enjoyable company to work for

Advice to Management

Keep staying ahead of the game!

"Midway Office Poorly Managed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midway, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midway, KY

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are occasional rewards. Sometimes they have lunch provided.

Cons

Nepotism is rampant in management. There were many problems with startup. Some of my co-workers were berated by a manager. People have been terminated with little or no warning and some without any reasons given. Pay is not consistently based on an employee's background. Some with more experience made less than new hires with little experience. Morale was bad before I left, and I hear that it's getting worse.

Advice to Management

The nepotism problem must be addressed. Fix the computer problems instead of blaming employees. Stop saying demeaning things to people. Set up a system of goals and a fair system of disciplining people. Don't just fire a dozen people at once for poor reasons.

Jan 12, 2018 – Chief People Officer

While opening a new distribution center is never easy—especially one the size and scale of our new building in Midway—our goal is to ensure employee satisfaction in everything we do. I am so sorry we... More

"Grateful to work at Lakeshore"

Current Employee - Manager in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I feel so fortunate to work at Lakeshore. The people, the products, the customers -- there is so much that makes this place special. The engagement at every level of the organization is something that I have never experienced at any other company. My contribution to the company matters, I have a voice and I feel like there is endless opportunity for me to learn and grow. Lakeshore is growing, and the people that work here are smart, hardworking, invested and committed to excellence.

Cons

No work from home option. That said, the hours are pretty manageable and for the most part, people go home at normal times. This company has been around for 60+ years, so there are some "older" systems/processes that can seem at times outdated.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in employees and the infrastructure at Lakeshore.

Dec 8, 2017 – Human Resources

We’re so glad to have you on board! It’s exciting to receive enthusiastic feedback like yours, which lets us know we’re creating an engaging workplace that allows our employees to thrive. Because of... More

"Great for Hard-working People"

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

Lakeshore is a great environment, full of incredibly hard-working people. Everyone I've worked with here is dedicated and very down-to-earth. There is also a work/life balance that I have not found anywhere else. Maybe because it's family-owned, and the folks in management have families too, but it's fantastic to work in a place where your manager encourages you to leave after a hard day's work, instead of guilt-tripping you to stay. And that's not to say we don't work hard. There is a high level of efficiency, and also the understanding that we're here to get the job done... So if that means I need to stay till 8 one night, I will. But it's definitely not every night.

There's also the fact that you're working for a company that is improving kids' lives and that cares about their people and their people's kids. The on-site pre-school is beyond amazing, with loving teachers and fun activities for the kids, and the fact that I can run down and see my kid any time I want cannot be put into words.

And finally, there's the caliber of people you're working with. Lakeshore doesn't hire just anybody, so the people here are smart and good at what they do. It's really nice to work with highly competent people; makes doing my own job much easier.

All in all I have found it to be a very rewarding place to work.

Cons

The only real downside to working at Lakeshore is the location. Considering its address in Carson you'd think there would be things nearby, but it is in the middle of nowhere. Nothing is walkable so unless you bring your lunch every day, you're going for a 10-15 minute drive to get anything.

The only other thing is that though everyone is friendly, it's not a super social office. A lot (if not most) of the population has families with young kids, so there's not a lot of after-work socialization here.

Advice to Management

I love it here. Keep doing what you're doing... and maybe get some more food trucks to come out each week. ;-)

Oct 11, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you so much for your kind words. We couldn’t agree more that our employees are hardworking, down-to-earth people who truly excel at what they do. Our recruiting team does in fact search for... More

"Great company with great support and opportunity"

Current Employee - Regional Vice President
    Current Employee - Regional Vice President

Pros

Can’t say anything bad about this company. A family owned business who treats their employees like family. I’ve been completely surprised with how everyone from the owners down to management truly care about you as a person first, then as an employee second. You get more than enough support from everyone at the home office to make sure you are as successful as you can be. They are also promoting from within from the Regional manager position to Regional Vice President and beyond. While it is hard work- the reward is well worth it- you can make some serious money here and feel great about the company you work for!

Cons

Haven’t found one yet.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!