Lakeshore Learning Materials Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 27, 2018

3.8
Bo Kaplan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great co-workers, good pay, good benefits, profit sharing bonus one a year" (in 27 reviews)

• "A family owned business who treats their employees like family" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Depending on your position, your work/life balance might be really bad" (in 6 reviews)

• "No cons to share during my working experience" (in 8 reviews)

"Excellent Place to Work and Grow"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working at Lakeshore for 13 years. I have grown from a night shift worker to supervisor.
    * Career growth is there for those who work hard and applies themselves.
    * Management values hard work and dedication.
    * Management values employees input on making the workplace better.
    * Great benefits.
    * Excellent onsite daycare.
    * Excellent HQ Summer incentives that make you feel valued.
    * Upper management is very accessible and often seen walking around departments saying hello.

Cons

No cons that I can think of.

Advice to Management

My only advise to management is to keep up great work. Keep fostering an ideal of employees being more than just a position.

Oct 3, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for the kind words! Receiving feedback like yours lets us know we’re doing our job as an organization to create an environment where team members can thrive. It’s so great to hear... More

2. "Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Writer in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Writer in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are wonderful, and I really enjoyed working with the administrative staff. My ideas were encouraged, and I felt like part of the team even though I was only hired on a temporary, seasonal basis.

Cons

The only con about working here was that there were no permanent openings at the time.

Dec 6, 2018 – Manager of Recruiting

What a wonderful post! We’re always happy to hear that we made a positive impression on our seasonal staff. Lakeshore is continuously expanding and bringing on new talent, so we frequently post new... More

"Great Part-time Job, especially for teachers"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's an easy-going place to work at and has a great working environment from the managers to the associates. Its a hard place to be in a bad mood at.

Cons

You are overworked tremendously in the summer and during other months there are barely any hours to go around.

Also, there is an unintentional lack of diversity in the store in regards to its employees.

Nov 9, 2018 – Director of Retail Human Resources

Thank you so much for your feedback. We love hearing from our Retail Associates! I’m so glad you feel our store environment is a real mood-booster. We couldn’t agree more! Our team members and... More

"Shift Supervisor - Excellent Communication"

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Bernardino, CA
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in San Bernardino, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I truly appreciate the efforts of this company to communicate effectively with all of its locations without micromanaging. My training and experience with Lakeshore so far has been an exceptional experience and a serious elevation above most retail environments and leadership. The passion is obvious, and the guidelines are clear!

Cons

Have not encountered anything noteworthy.

Advice to Management

Your efforts to treat employees as individuals and inspire creativity is one of the most organized and consistent communications I have ever seen in a company- and I understand how difficult it is to develop such a brilliant culture. Also, props on the first-name-basis rule!

Nov 9, 2018 – Director of Retail Human Resources

First, I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to Lakeshore. We’re so happy to have you here, and I’m thrilled that you’re enjoying your time with us so far! Creating a culture exactly... More

5. "You give and you give and you get......let go"

Pros

Very good benefits, most home office employees are nice.

Cons

It’s not all about the people

Advice to Management

Be more professional

"Very good place to work"

Current Employee - Associate in Midway, KY
    Current Employee - Associate in Midway, KY

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I’m an associate at the midway distribution center and all I have seen is good management that genuinely cares about the employees

- supervisors care about the employees thoughts and use their ideas to improve the workplace making things more efficient.

-have good benefits and try to make sure their employees are well taken care of.

Cons

None that I can think of

Easy rules as far as dress codes and attendance policies.

- show up and work hard and you will do well here.

Advice to Management

None.

Sep 10, 2018 – Human Resources

We love hearing from our team members in Midway! We couldn’t be more thrilled to hear that your experience with us has been a positive one. Words cannot express how thankful we are for the work you... More

"Lots of Opportunities to Learn and Grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I have been working at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Since Lakeshore is family owned, it feels like a small company even though you are working for a huge leader in the education world. The people in charge know my name, and that makes me feel valued. There are fun employee appreciation events like a Halloween party during the workday and “Summer Surprise” where you receive gifts and yummy treats (just to name a few), and they make a big deal out of your Lakeshore anniversary each year.

I love that Lakeshore likes to promote from from within. I’m currently in Sales but have also worked in Marketing and Events. There’s room to grow and try new things when the time is right. They only hire the best, so you’re working with super smart, dedicated and capable people. There’s a ton of experience at Lakeshore too - two people in my department have each been with the company for over 25 years (and that’s true for a lot of the departments). I also love that you can wear whatever you want to work. Lakeshore is more concerned that you work hard and do a good job, not whether you wear yoga clothes every day.

Lakeshore does have high expectations. Be prepared to work hard. If you are capable and take the initiative, the opportunities are endless.

Cons

Because they expect a lot out of their employees, you’ll have to set good boundaries to maintain the work/life balance that’s right for you.

Sep 10, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you so much for the positive feedback! We appreciate you taking the time to tell your story and let us know what kind of impression our culture has made on you personally. From the sound of it... More

"Outside Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time

Pros

- Great product that is easy to "get behind" and pretty much sells for itself
    - Many supportive, friendly,, down-to-earth coworkers
    - Supportive of employees when it comes to personal life, health, etc.

Cons

- Outside sales team works hard to independently generate leads and see through the entire sales process. Though the company says that they offer support, and encourages you to use your resources, the "resources" are people who are spread too thin and are often unable to prioritize their support effectively. Additionally, the outside sales team is supposed to support their local retail stores, driving sales to the stores in order to make retail numbers look higher than they actually are. So, as an outside salesperson, you are really acting as inside sales, outside sales, conference-goer, lead-generator, and retail manager. It's a lot.
    - Company does not have any Mission or Goals other than to increase sales. They are constantly making changes. Oftentimes, they will implement a new vision for the company and then 3 months later, it is completely forgotten.
    - Bit of a "Boys Club" in terms of how the company is run. Though they are very proud of the women who are in management (and there are a good amount in management), those women are either a bit of a bully, or a wet rag.
    - HR dept cannot be trusted by employees.

Advice to Management

- Do your homework before making company-wide decisions. Consult with outside companies, look at territory maps and volume, see how to use your Inside Team Effectively.
    - Realize that Sales and Retail are different entities and hire good leaders who will assist, instead of bully, in order to increase sales.
    - Stop having HR create fake-posts on Glassdoor in order to look better. Own up to your faults and challenges and genuinely work hard to make a better working environment for your employees.

Sep 10, 2018 – President of Sales

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I was surprised to see that you feel working with our retail stores is a drawback—because I see the integration of our sales teams as one of the most amazing... More

"Most of these reviews are fake"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They make it seem like it’s about the children

Cons

Just run from this company . The managers in sales have no clue how to manage. They are looking for Robots. Trying to turn into a real sales organization but the management is to slow to catch on.

Advice to Management

Get new management .

"Fake reviews!! Terrible company. Don’t feed into the dream they sell"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits is decent and company credit card

Cons

They want somebody they can control. Very unhealthy environment. Management are terrible and really don’t know anything about the position. I wish I would of stayed with my previous company but they recruited me and I fell for there lies.

Advice to Management

Get more people of color in management.
    Stop selling people the dream

Oct 8, 2018 – Human Resources

We see that you’ve posted multiple critical reviews, and—since you were only with us for a few short weeks—we’re surprised you’ve been so upset about leaving. We will admit that our culture is not a... More