Lakeshore Learning Materials Reviews | Glassdoor

Lakeshore Learning Materials Reviews

Updated July 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Profit sharing bonus (you have to be there for at least 1 year) (in 26 reviews)

• Casual dress code, employee recognition and perks (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • However, I do feel upper management is open to feedback, listens and takes action (in 12 reviews)

• Family-owned, so there are people in positions of power that maybe shouldn't be there (nepotism) (in 6 reviews)

"Poorly Organized, High Turnover"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, food and coffee trucks that you can purchase from, Summer Surprise (small gifts once a week for a month during summer), decent discount on products

Cons

Horrible management, bosses have weird power trips, disorganized from the very top down, unrealistic expectations, too much work and not enough people, high turnover

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect because they are hard workers who are keeping company afloat.

"Not a place for innovators"

Former Employee - Manager in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great healthcare and dental benefits with a low monthly premium. Predictable working hours, not a lot of overtime. Company longevity, they have been around over 60 years. Great co-workers.

Cons

In spite of extensive lip service given to the concept of change and new ideas, the owners really do not want to change what the company is doing, as they are making so much money already there is a definite "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality here. In almost every department, new ideas will be debated by multiple layers of people, then ultimately decided against. Over and over again, you'll hear the phrase "Hmm that sounds interesting, but let's just do what we did last year."

Due to the intense micromanaging atmosphere of the owners being involved in literally EVERY decision, Lakeshore will slowly grind down the will and excitement of even the most solid and passionate team member. Every last detail and minutae is endlessly debated and involves numerous people.

If you want to work at a place where you just come in, do your job as expected and like a robot, following pre-defined processes and where even the smallest decision will be micromanaged, go for it! But if you have even a grain of independent thought in your head and you often question "but how can we do this better?" or "hey can we try this?" you will quickly find yourself feeling like you're banging your head against the wall.

Some other things. The company is all about saving money, often to the detriment of workers. The office atmosphere is depressing and unhealthy. An old warehouse converted into office space in approximately 1982. And the desks and office chairs are roughly from that time. If your chair breaks they'll come and glue it until it breaks again. Want anything ergonomic? Good luck with that. There's no windows, no natural light. Weird smells due to being located deep in industrial Carson alongside train tracks and factories. Using computers from roughly 2007. Want a laptop? Ha! Oh yeah, don't be fooled by the fancy new HR reception area. Aren't you wondering why you didn't get a tour of the building or meet with your hiring manager in their office? They don't want to scare off potential employees with the bleak reality of the space! You even have to take out your own trash.

Proceed with caution.

Advice to Management

Trust your team's experience and let them do their job. Be open to trying new things.

"Art Department"

Former Employee - Freelance Graphic Designer in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Freelance Graphic Designer in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working environment that challenges your skills. Owners have personal hand in product development. Work culture emphasizes good teamwork. Discounts at company stores.

Cons

Workloads can be heavy during high season. Managers scapegoat employees. Low loyalty to seasonal workers. Not easy to get full time position. The owner sometimes goes on abusive, profanity tirades

Advice to Management

Do not just hire pretty girls for job positions. The owner should not verbally abuse employees. Pay employees more.

"Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Management in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Management in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The employee discount is generous and the hours aren't too bad for retail. The customer base is overall pretty fun to sell to.

Cons

A lot of back stabbers throughout the company. You never know who to trust or talk to. There are a lot of politics played in the company and many lie and manipulate to get what they want. A lot of quality and amazing management is let go because they don't play the game. The company is left with management that are average at best and buy into the games.

Advice to Management

Switch them out and stop the micromanagement

Lakeshore Learning Materials Response

Aug 4, 2016 – Director of Human Resources

Thank you so much for taking the time to offer your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed the employee discount, and we couldn’t agree more that our customers are a wonderful group of people! Since the... More

"Bleak, Depressing and Archaic Systems"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

Pros

Coworkers are very nice, good people.

Cons

- Office is in a warehouse and many workspaces and hallways have no access to natural light or windows. It's one grey cubicle room after another with beige hallways and things falling apart everywhere.
    -The company culture is micromanaging and fear. No trust that employees are adults or can manage their time or projects.
    - Health and well-being are at risk for every employee. Poorly designed workspaces, horrible chairs and inability to take breaks are just a few. Be ready to bring many things from home to make yourself even moderately comfortable. You will be working from morning till lunch, lunch is in a very strict time frame and then you will work from the end of lunch till the end of the day without breaks and without daylight. Many employees complained of back pain, neck pain and stress.
    - Any "fun" is very regulated and set in very strict timelines. A 10 minute recognition event once a week is the 10 mins before lunch, no more, no less and it is frowned upon if you attend when no one from your department is being recognized.
    - Archaic time clock, cameras, intense time logging system. No time can be unaccounted for, you must be working at all times.
    - Terrible wi-fi and cellular reception, which I became convinced was on purpose.
    - Company does not provide simple necessities like cups or most utensils.

Advice to Management

Invest in your workspaces. Trust your employees. Invest in modern company culture initiatives. Loosen the reigns and you'll be impressed at the increase in happiness and productivity of your employees.

"Great"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

Pros

I love working here! Great atmosphere

Cons

I would like the pay. Sometimes the customers can be EXTREMELY rude

Advice to Management

Offer full-time employment for associates....

"Sad to hear things have not changed (Employee for 7+ years)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work WITH (not for - HUGE difference) are amazing.

Cons

All of these 5 star reviews sound like they were written by the same person. The reviews that say that those leaving must be lazy, and couldn't hang with the best? PLEASE. This company, for some odd reason, seems to not value the hard work of the employees who actually put in the time. I have seen respected managers whose expertise was invaluable demoted and sort of discarded, left in obscurity. At a certain point, no matter how much you cared about your position or the people you work with, or the product you represent, you have to cut your losses and move on. You cannot speak up, for fear of being put on a watch list with a target on your back. Since the time I have left the company, I have been contacted numerous times by people in my former department asking me how to do things or how to handle certain situations because the manager who is in charge doesn't know what to do and tells them to figure it out. I was disheartened to hear that things had not changed since leaving, and the situation is increasingly dire. Yet this manager seems to still thrive in this company. It just shows you where the value is placed. In the exit interview I was told that they wished I would have said something, that it was sad to see me go.. Which gave me hope that maybe things might change in the department for those amazing coworkers I was leaving behind... Only to hear that no one in my former department was ever contacted about how they felt or sought out for advice on improvements.

Honestly, I was fortunate to have an incredible manager and mentor when I started at Lakeshore and my coworkers became my second family. That being said, things changed and you can only put up with so much. I left work every day a very bitter person and I am happy that I no longer work in such a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Make sure the people you have busting their butts for you are happy! Trust the people you hire to do their jobs and stop micromanaging everything. Consider diversity of thought and ideas.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Carson, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Carson, CA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers and an amazing manager. Hours are great and they will work with your schedule. Great job for aspiring teachers.

Cons

Not much upward career mobility. Average retail job with a balance of rude and kind guests. Training was a bit too short.

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Lakeshore Learning Materials full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Enjoyed my direct boss and my team very much.

Cons

Senior leads, VP are not good people. Ego's bursting at the seams. The things they are allowed to say and do are unfathomable and there was zero accountability for the actions. If you have a moral compass at all this place will test your boundaries of what you are willing to take.

Advice to Management

Falling on deaf hears. The issues are definitely well known and allowed to happen. For the people their you should do better for them.

"Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Tampa, FL

Pros

Nice customers
    Supportive Store Manager
    Clear expectations

Cons

Miscommunication between management team and staff.