Lakeway Publishers Reviews | Glassdoor

Lakeway Publishers Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2019

Found 14 reviews

1.5
Lakeway Publishers CEO R. Jack Fishman  (no image)
R. Jack Fishman
  1. "mail room clerk"

I have been working at Lakeway Publishers part-time

Pros

the work is easy and get to work in an air condition place and not alot of people just a certain amount of people makes it easy to know everyone the work hours are not bad

Cons

just part time and only allowed to get a certain amount of hours a week and only get paid every two weeks

Lakeway Publishers2015-07-31
  2. "Death by micro-management"

Former Employee - Publisher

I worked at Lakeway Publishers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lakeway is a terrific group of newspapers full of hardworking individuals. Community journalism, in many ways, at its best.

Cons

Don't expect to make a decision. EVERYTHING is controlled from the home office.

Advice to Management

None they want to hear.

Lakeway Publishers2019-09-16
  3. "Micro Management to the extreme"

I worked at Lakeway Publishers full-time

Pros

Can be used as a learning experience for what not to do.

Cons

Poor pay scale, no raises for years, micro management to the extreme. Ownership makes incredibly poor decisions to promote growth and success. Not a company to work at for the long haul.

Lakeway Publishers2019-09-04

"Laid Off 2 weeks after starting with no explanation"

Former Employee - Staff Writer in Tullahoma, TN

I worked at Lakeway Publishers full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was a staff writer for one of their newspapers, which was fun. I got to interview people and write stories.

Cons

I was laid off abruptly 2 weeks after I started. I had just gotten a work email the day before. When I asked what I was laid off for they hid behind Tennessee being a right to work state and wouldn't give me a reason for being dismissed.

Advice to Management

Don't lay people off right after hiring them with no explanation.

Lakeway Publishers2019-08-20

"Unfullfilling"

Former Employee - Publisher in Clermont, FL

I worked at Lakeway Publishers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not a whole lot of pros other than the fact we were located far from corporate.

Cons

Pay is a little low by most standards. They expect you to work hard, which is fair, but don't want to pay you for success. The CEO always finds some excuse to get out of paying bonuses. He moves money and expenses around and gives some sob story about why you aren't getting your bonus even though the objectives were clearly met. CEO doesn't have the common courtesy to return phone calls or emails about why he... won't pay bonuses or the integrity to honor the commitment to his employees. The CEO will have you chasing windmills constantly on projects that have come and gone 10-20 years ago. He's out of touch and thinks we are still in the glory years of print. If you like to be micro managed, this is the place for you. You'll get to track many different metrics that don't help you one bit to achieve goals, but instead you'll spend hours writing reports that they never read. A very disappointing experience.

Advice to Management

CEO needs to retire. He needs to honor his commitments to employees and pay up when the objectives are achieved instead of looking for ways to take it away.

Lakeway Publishers2019-04-11

"No raises....ever!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Troy, MO

I worked at Lakeway Publishers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Being able to work with your community.

Cons

The management, the low pay, unprotected accounts, bad/expensive insurance, extremely high turnover, no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and Take a look at why they are leaving

Lakeway Publishers2018-03-19

"They hired me without thinking about it; then laid off"

Former Employee - News Reporter in Warsaw, VA

I worked at Lakeway Publishers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Editor-reporter conversation can be fun It's a paid position (low wage) It appears to be full time position at first glance. . .

Cons

Long, unnecessary meetings with staff Publisher lays you off after 6 days

Advice to Management

Think more carefully about how many employees you as a company are ready to actually hire. If you are not realistically and mathematically able to hire more than ONE full time employee, then don't do it! Be more upfront about what types of articles of what you are looking during the 1st interview Actually try to be CLEAR about what the expectations and hours are; actually try to manage your employees and... expectations on how long they must stay in newsroom Lynda.com is not much of a "paid job training," I could watch it at home, and I should not be laying out copy pages InDesign Poor use of technology, my computer did not turn on the whole week I worked there. . .

Lakeway Publishers2018-02-09

"Please do not work here"

I worked at Lakeway Publishers full-time

Pros

-Guaranteed work for recent college grads

Cons

-No direction from superiors -Rude and unprofessional corporate management -No raises -Low morale -Incredibly understaffed, and the few staff members are overworked and underpaid

Lakeway Publishers2017-12-21

"Corrupt company"

Former Employee - Reporter

I worked at Lakeway Publishers full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good for entry level or post-retirement journalism, no competition for beats, allows you to write for different styles of publications

Cons

Horrible management, extremely low pay, lots of illegal employment moves, expected to work multiple jobs for one low salary, really bad HR "department"

Advice to Management

This was one of the worst jobs I had in terms of management and work for the pay. For one, just about all the staff was a revolving door. You can't put out great content for your community when you are constantly having new reporters and editors who know nothing about the community or journalism itself. Treating people like they're disposable creates a hostile work environment and therefore they can't focus on... putting out the best publications. The community sees it and doesn't have any respect for Lakeway's local papers. Another thing, forcing employees to do multiple jobs for the price of one is not only illegal, but completely disrespectful. Reporters get paid a little over minimum wage and are expected to write for multiple newspapers and magazines, covering multiple regions for that price. And they're not allowed overtime. It's nearly impossible. Editors are expected to do the same, laying out multiple papers for little to no extra compensation. They also allow multiple forms of harassment to happen in the workplace without any compliance or investigation from their single HR person and are facing multiple lawsuits for these reasons. This company isn't going to last, there's nothing they can do to save it now. I just hope these people get right with the one above before they go to sleep at night.

Lakeway Publishers2017-09-01

"Too much work, too little pay"

Editor in Morristown, TN

I worked at Lakeway Publishers

Pros

Freedom in position, good start in journalism

Cons

Low pay, too much work expected - on top of the newspaper you are required to put together booklets, tabs, magazines on a regular basis for a wage that is hard to live on.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more.

Lakeway Publishers2017-01-22