Lambert, Edwards & Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great experience"

Former Employee - AAE in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - AAE in Detroit, MI

I worked at Lambert, Edwards & Associates (More than a year)

Pros

Good people, interesting clients and a fast-paced environment.

Cons

Pay could be a little better, but overall I have very few complaints!

2. "Great Place to Work, Great People"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Lambert, Edwards & Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The folks at LE&A are great, they care about their clients and each other. They work hard and play hard making it a great place to work. There are many opportunities for professional growth for both younger associates just starting out and seasoned professionals.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like the senior folks are doing things and making plans but not involving the staff, that makes it harder to get folks to come along if they don't really have ownership of the future.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to ask more of your people, if we all believe in the future and have ownership of it, we might surprise you in what we are able to accomplish together.

"It is Like Being in High School Again"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Lambert, Edwards & Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the few legit PR companies to work for in Michigan. Has a diverse set of clients, which allows for several growth and learning opportunities. Firm demographic heavily skewed toward young, good looking individuals that are eager to learn and grow in their careers.

Cons

LEAdership across each practice group is lacking. It feels as though the managing directors are clueless about the long-term strategy of the company, which causes uncertainty among the rank and file. There is little to no push back on the whims of the President, which also incubates several situations of blatant sexual harassment on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Dismiss those on the management team that are unable to generate new business or interact with clients. Working around these individuals on a daily basis gets to be extremely counterproductive. Communicate a concise and clear long-term strategy, which would include the growth prospects and trajectory for all employees.

4. "functionally unstructured agency"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Detroit, MI

Pros

functional, cool culture, interesting client roster

Cons

no structure or processes. questionable decision making.

Advice to Management

Make sure you know who you're hiring and why. Take better care of loyal employees

"Short term experience to take other places"

Former Employee - Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

A good place to build experience for young professionals, good people and a fun atsomphere. Everyone recives the chance to work on a wide variety of projects with different types of teams. Three practice groups ensure that you'll have the chance to work in a number of differenty industries, but not always with the best guidance or advice from the team leaders. It's a flexible work environment that values family and ensures that you have the time off you need when you need it, whether it's for personal reasons or sick kids. Vacation is ok and the benefits (medical, etc.) are actually unmatched, including offering reimbursement for medical deductibles.

Cons

Leadership is lacking, people are treated like it's high school and the chances for advancement (unless you're in favor with the CEO) are next to none. There is a clique-ish feeling that is difficult to break through and because advancment is so difficult, most people end up just looking out for themsevles rather than others, this leads to a lack of professional development for new hires and has soured more than one person on PR agency life. There is an overabundance of pressure to develop new business without any support or leadership from managment. New business wins are also not rewarded or really acknowledged in any way.

Advice to Management

Start running the business like a business rather than a personal toy, luck will only take you so far. Build a buisness plan that includes professional tracks for employees and annual reviews that will actually help people determine what they need to do in order to advance.

"small public relations firm in transition"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

Pros

We have a lot of really talented people that went to top schools like GVSU, Hope, Michigan State and Calvin. We also have a great reputation in managing important PR events around the city - everyone knows Lambert Edwards in Grand Rapids, MI.

Cons

We need to hire more women. Right now there are a lot of guys and it can be a bit of a boys club at times. Although they bring in business and know what they are doing, it can be a bit intimidating at times. Also, we have lost quite of business recently because of the economy. It makes me worry that not everything is as cheery as some might think. Bonuses were disappointing this year.

Advice to Management

Office politics will destroy us if we don't watch it. We are a small firm and everyone knows everything. Hold on to good people at all costs, especially those of us that are working hard and contributing. We also need to stick to the stuff we are good at (public relations). We need to hire people that aren't just friends of the owner. We need to hire people that actually know what they are doing.

7. "Associate"

Pros

Opportunity to learn a lot while here - diverse clients and diverse experience within company.

Cons

The culture could use some improvement.

8. "They try..."

I have been working at Lambert, Edwards & Associates full-time

Pros

Great hires! I hire more recently they have been trying to listen to employee concerns.

Cons

Folks are really overworked. Some account leads pay little attention (if they even understand) the hour allocations and utilization.

Advice to Management

Pay the money to hire older more seasoned folks

9. "Challenging and Rewarding Work"

I have been working at Lambert, Edwards & Associates full-time

Pros

I've had nothing but good experiences at LE&A. The firm has grown consistently since its founding in 1998 (no small feat in the toughest economy since the Great Depression). Having previous agency experience, one thing I appreciate about LE&A is that they don't take "all" business - they know their strengths and work within those areas. Along the way, they've made some smart acquisitions and now have offices in Lansing and Detroit (in addition to the original office in Grand Rapids). Something else I appreciate is the openness to new ideas. I've worked in a lot of places where any new ideas are met with so much resistance that they never go anywhere. Another great facet of LE&A is the people - there are some truly amazing and talented pros that work here and they are a pleasure to work with. They're also supportive and appreciative as a bonus. The workspaces are also amazing - they're gorgeous and unique and I frequently take the opportunity to show them off to friends and family.

Cons

Public Relations agency work isn't for the faint-hearted - it's demanding and hectic at times to juggle multiple projects. The trade-off, though, is that you get to work with a diverse array of clients on major projects that are fantastic experience.

"Diverse Clients. Lacks Structure."

I worked at Lambert, Edwards & Associates full-time

Pros

Diverse client experience. Social workplace.

Cons

Lack of processes/strategy resulting in subpar client work. Limited professional development opportunities. Low starting pay for new associates.

Advice to Management

Cultivate your current staff. Check-in with them regularly as many seemed dissatisfied/unhappy.