Lancer Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Glenn Baron

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Submissive staff that is pressured into making a lot of bad decisions under the hawkish oversight of "boot to neck" upper management (in 5 reviews)

• This type of company/business is known for the long hours so, I don't feel it is out of the ordinary (in 4 reviews)

1. "Above and beyond Hospitality"

Former Employee - Cook
    Former Employee - Cook

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good business. Many different companies to work for.

Cons

Only con I can think of is micromanagement. That is a pretty big con though. Work is work but it can be fun, when you have a manager who's green and only has 3 employees to manage breathing down your neck even though you are doing your job above and beyond makes for a very bad work day. I am speaking on my own experience but also the experience of my other 2 co-workers who had the same complaint.

Advice to Management

Chill bro.

2. "Area Manager"

Former Employee - Area Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Area Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I started as a GM and within a year and a half was asked to also take on the role of Area Manager. I'm no longer with Lancer through no choice of theirs or mine (long story, not the place). If I'd been willing to relocate it was made clear I could still be with the company...
     Obviously looking for a job currently and came across Glassdoor and all the negative reviews, they all made it sound like a completely different company than the one I worked for the last 4+ years. I was interviewed and hired by the CEO/President Glenn Baron and in all the years past have found him to be a thoughtful, supportive, and caring leader. I consider him a life long friend and mentor. The support I got from the Corp office was always helpful and positive. IT, HR, Marketing, Business Development and Purchasing were always ready to help. I feel like I was given a long leash and never felt micro-managed. I always felt my experience and input was valued and I would not hesitate to recommend Lancer as a company to join.

Cons

Yes, Lancer was/is a quickly growing company and I did feel at times that the Corp office was playing catchup. In the time I was with them they doubled the number of states they operated in. Personally I'd rather have it that way than the alternative of working for a company that is stagnant or closing locations...
    If your complaining about long hours in hospitality management I'm not sure what to tell you, it's the life we've chosen.

Advice to Management

I feel like I always had an open line to anyone in the company so no need to offer any additional advice here.

"Run Fast"

Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They'll spend money on new equipment.

Cons

Corporate team is a nightmare

Advice to Management

Quit taking on new projects so you can fix all the messes you've acquired. Salaried employees are grossly overworked and expected to work 70+ hours a week.

"Fear & Loathing"

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Do not be fooled. These reviews are honest and real. The amount of negative reviews is not fluke or an outlier. These negative reviews are the majority.

Cons

Leadership is disrespectful, greedy, controlling, insulting, misogynistic, and verbally abusive.

The salary pay is offensive. Expect at least $10K less a year than the average income for your position. Benefits are nothing special either.

No room for growth whatsoever.

Anyone who is hired and tries to make a department better and more efficient, is almost immediately fired.

Disregard your education and years of experience, you won't need them here. There is no give and take, exchange or collaboration of ideas. You are given a task and told to execute without question or purpose. Similarly, when asking for feedback on a project or assignment, instead of providing something constructive, you will usually just receive a rude insult.

Money is such a large concern for this growing company. They are so obsessed with money that leadership will make employees work so far outside of the scope of their job to save a pretty penny. It's really embarrassing.

The requested work load for employees is at least 60+ hours/week.

To sum this up, if you have no morals, values, self-respect, or appreciation of a work-life balance, then Lancer is the perfect place for you!

Advice to Management

A successful business is based on the people who work there. Treat your employees like humans, not robots. Compensate them well. Make them feel appreciated.

5. "Great Company that has its good and bad"

I worked at Lancer Hospitality part-time

Pros

They pay the minimum wage at $15/hr
    They hire almost anyone

Cons

No tips
    They hire almost anyone
    Very Seasonal, when it gets slow, hours get cut

"Hiring practices by uppers not on the up and up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, Dakota, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, Dakota, MN

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time

Pros

Great co workers, IT staff one of the most dedicated and helpful I have ever worked with. Raises for hourly staff usually a good amount.

Cons

Promote friends or who they are romantically involved with. These people are put ahead of people with experince. Senior director parts ways with good people when they push to be better or ask too many questions and pushes to hire better looking woman iover qualified applicants.Low pay for management and corporate staff compared to others.

Advice to Management

Look at the talent you have. Dont let your good people go so you can reward your friends who. A

"An interesting, growing company hampered by poor leadership"

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time

Pros

Lancer is a growing company and there are pockets of talent to be found. Many people truly want to see the company succeed and sincerely care about their work. Depending upon the role, there can be a lot of variety and the opportunity to work on interesting projects at cultural attractions, amusement parks, restaurants, colleges, etc. It is a fast-paced environment.

Cons

The majority of the good in this company is overshadowed by disrespectful and unprofessional behavior from the highest levels. Lancer is a textbook case of a company suffering from founder’s syndrome: employees are viewed as costs instead of assets, few are trusted or given authority to make decisions, including senior management. Micromanagement abounds. New ideas and fresh perspectives are not valued and viewed as irrelevant. Corporate employees are treated as though they work in a cost center, with Managers and Directors told to sit behind them at their desks to watch them work. Disorganization. Disrespect. Distrust. It’s really unfortunate because there is the potential for Lancer to be so much more. Turnover is very high at all levels of management and will remain so for the foreseeable future unless there is a significant change from above. The culture does not allow employees to feel secure in their jobs, never knowing when the next hammer might drop.

Advice to Management

Don’t interrupt or consistently take phone calls when having a conversation. Take the time to listen to your people. Start meetings on time. Respect people’s privacy. Learn to trust employees. Value people - more often than not, they are there for the greater good of the company and not just for the paycheck. Compensation packages are low - reevaluate if you want to be competitive. Invest in an outside company to consult on the next evolution of the business.

8. "good place to start in hospitality"

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time

Pros

Able to develop additional skills in hospitality

Cons

ineffective team-work due to poor supervision and response

Advice to Management

communicate better with staff and more frequently

"Rapidly expanding company"

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality full-time

Pros

always lots of work to be done

Cons

a bit unorganized, growing faster then they seem know how to handle

"Still look back at these positive reviews and laugh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros I had working for Lancer was the expired product I took home to eat

Cons

Oh boy. Too many to name
    If youre looking to work here, please check out any other possibilities
    This company does not deserve you
    I PROMISE

Advice to Management

THERE IS NONE
    you will never be anything but a puppet show who writes fake reviews ro improve your image
    Sad sad sad