Lancer Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glenn Baron

Pros
  • Lancer is a growing company and there are pockets of talent to be found (in 7 reviews)

• Middle management on down are great people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Submissive staff that is pressured into making a lot of bad decisions under the hawkish oversight of "boot to neck" upper management (in 5 reviews)

• This type of company/business is known for the long hours so, I don't feel it is out of the ordinary (in 3 reviews)

"Didn't have the best experience . . ."

Former Employee - Cashier in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Lancer Hospitality part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as a cashier at one of Lancer's zoo locations. The job itself wasn't very difficult, which is a plus I guess. The pay was decent for being part time.

Cons

One reason why my experience wasn't the most positive is because of my manager. I always felt like she was watching us very closely and she didn't have the best relationship with any of our employees. One night she scheduled me to cater at a wedding until 2 a.m. and then had me scheduled at 8 a.m. the next morning. One of the leads actually left during my time there because of the manager and there was talk of numerous people quitting at once so that her superiors would realize something was up. Overall, it was very petty and kind of a negative environment.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to work on scheduling issues and also to maintain better relationships with your employees.

"Hiring practices by uppers not on the up and up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, Dakota, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mendota Heights, Dakota, MN

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time

Pros

Great co workers, IT staff one of the most dedicated and helpful I have ever worked with. Raises for hourly staff usually a good amount.

Cons

Promote friends or who they are romantically involved with. These people are put ahead of people with experince. Senior director parts ways with good people when they push to be better or ask too many questions and pushes to hire better looking woman iover qualified applicants.Low pay for management and corporate staff compared to others.

Advice to Management

Look at the talent you have. Dont let your good people go so you can reward your friends who. A

"Still look back at these positive reviews and laugh"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros I had working for Lancer was the expired product I took home to eat

Cons

Oh boy. Too many to name
    If youre looking to work here, please check out any other possibilities
    This company does not deserve you
    I PROMISE

Advice to Management

THERE IS NONE
    you will never be anything but a puppet show who writes fake reviews ro improve your image
    Sad sad sad

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Full-time Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Full-time Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros that would benefit the employees. The only pros is that you can gain knowledge on how to deal with difficult people.

Cons

Poor management, Poor management, Poor management. Also, Management write positive reviews on Glassdoor in order to make people think that they are having growing pains. The only pain Is leadership pain on all levels.

Advice to Management

Have integrity

"Could be better, could be worse."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Co-workers and a constant change of scenery.

Cons

Less than great leadership. Take a job here if you're unemployed. Then keep looking.

Advice to Management

Moving forward....

"Fun but not worth it"

Current Employee - Runner in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Runner in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality part-time

Pros

Fun environment, 50% off food, hires 14 & 15 year olds. Cashiering/Running for them was a decent first job.

Cons

Seems like we get a new manager every month, which is kind of hard to deal with. Pay is low, too.

"This is where dreams go to die"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Large, growing company with lots of places to go...

Cons

Company has grown too fast and their policies have not changed or grown with them. CEO and directors are big into micro-managing and are completely out of touch with how the day to day operations actually work.

The Tyrion Lannister review from someone else is spot on...

Advice to Management

Take a step back and trust in your front line employees and managers a little more. Also make an effort to make your employees feel valued, at this rate you will run out of employees and have to do all of the work by yourself.

9. "Lancer Rocks!"

Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Catering Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality full-time

Pros

It's nice to have access and constant communication with the Corporate Directors of the company. I feel valued and appreciated, and am happy that I am trusted to do my job and never feel micromanaged. I have learned a tremendous amount working with them, and look forward to a long career with Lancer!

Cons

There really aren't any downsides that I've experienced. The only unfortunate thing is that the company is based in Minnesota, so those of us who work at a property that's not in that state don't get the advantages that properties in close proximity may experience. It's hard to call that a "con" though, wishing we could be more involved with/closer to the Corporate office is a good thing! :)

10. "All hands on deck is not the same as micromanaging"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a big company - Lancer employs over one thousand seasonal, part time, and full time staff.

I find it interesting given that fact that there are so many reviews from cashiers and other seasonal employees that say they do not approve of the CEO or talk negatively about "corporate"

I know the CEO and upper management care deeply about the opinions and the needs of their employees.

If cashiers and other seasonal employees have interactions with corporate, it is because every one in upper management is an active participant in making sure operations run smoothly.

It is not uncommon to find corporate chefs jumping on the line and making fries, GMs and Regional Directors running the cash register or even making cotton candy, and the Catering Directors actually on the floor bussing tables alongside the staff or even washing dishes in the middle of an event.

The CEO visits properties often and is known to ask employees what is working and what is not

This is a company with an "All hands on deck" attitude.

Cons

Because of the "all hands on deck" mentality the hours during busy season can be long. You have to be prepared for long days when we have events.

Advice to Management

Stay actively involved. The best way to know what is happening in yr company is to experience it yourself.

11. "Extremely negative reviews comically misleading, ironically humorous."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

Pros

Like any company, you get out of Lancer what you put into it. Good work ethic is never going to be frowned upon. I am one of the long term employees at corporate, so I've seen it all. Still very much consider myself to have prized "outsider" status for all that, so I'm pretty objective in my opinions. I could never be accused by anyone as a corporate shill. I like my job, I like my duties, I like what I get paid, I have a pretty good relationship with the supposedly "evil" Glenn Baron, and I get on well with just about everyone in the company. I can't speak of the non-corporate experience since I'm primarily ensconced here in the ivory tower, but the only advice I can give is the truism of "If you complain about where you're working, go somewhere else." I've seen year after year of growth here, and it's a good feeling to have when you're chained to the daly grind as most of us are.

Cons

My perpetual complaint is that communication at Lancer is poor. There is a strong disconnect between the major corporate departments of Marketing, Accounting, IT, and Ops. Not to the extent that it creates fiefdoms and warring factions (as an aside to the person who wrote the "Tywin Lannister" review - keep analogies short. Guess you missed that part in creative writing class), because it's all pretty amicable. Just saying that effective corporate communication would reap hugely positive rewards. Right now, it's like the machine has too many cogs of different sizes not all turning at the same speed. Hardly "disastrous", as some recent dolt described.

Advice to Management

Less tangents in meetings, more focused approach to proactive system maintenance, move towards understanding that ongoing training is good for the company's soul, and try to develop more effective lines of communications so that all departments have the same information. Right now Lancer is kind of like the parable of the blind men describing parts of an elephant.