Lancer Hospitality Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 28, 2017

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glenn Baron

Pros
  • Lancer is a growing company and there are pockets of talent to be found (in 7 reviews)

• Middle management on down are great people (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Submissive staff that is pressured into making a lot of bad decisions under the hawkish oversight of "boot to neck" upper management (in 5 reviews)

• This type of company/business is known for the long hours so, I don't feel it is out of the ordinary (in 3 reviews)

"Didn't have the best experience . . ."

Former Employee - Cashier in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Tacoma, WA

I worked at Lancer Hospitality part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as a cashier at one of Lancer's zoo locations. The job itself wasn't very difficult, which is a plus I guess. The pay was decent for being part time.

Cons

One reason why my experience wasn't the most positive is because of my manager. I always felt like she was watching us very closely and she didn't have the best relationship with any of our employees. One night she scheduled me to cater at a wedding until 2 a.m. and then had me scheduled at 8 a.m. the next morning. One of the leads actually left during my time there because of the manager and there was talk of numerous people quitting at once so that her superiors would realize something was up. Overall, it was very petty and kind of a negative environment.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to work on scheduling issues and also to maintain better relationships with your employees.

"Great learning experience"

Former Employee - General Manager in Chaska, MN
    Former Employee - General Manager in Chaska, MN

I worked at Lancer Hospitality (More than 3 years)

Pros

As GM of one of their larger accounts I worked closely with the senior management of the company. While this proved challenging at times due to their high expectations, I learned more about business than I had in any of my previous jobs or in college.

Cons

-Work/life balance was nearly impossible to achieve and taking a weekend off in the summer is almost unheard of. That being said, I have no regrets about the time I spent with the company.
    -Compensation was a little low for the level of responsibility compared to what similar companies pay.

Advice to Management

Keep challenging your managers to be successful but also find ways to help them manage life/work balance. Also, some additional compensation - perhaps in the way of more lucrative bonuses - would help managers feel a little more like the many, many hours they put in are appreciated.

"Former Manager was good - Pay is bad, quality of work is bad"

Current Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Seattle, WA

Pros

The old GM was good to work for. She was very nice, and fair. She is gone now, and I do not know how I feel about the new GM yet.
    It is located at the zoo and you can see the animals on your lunch break which can be super fun! We also get cheap/discunted food and coffee. LAst summer I worked all of the Zootunes events. I got to see all of the bands for free, and be outside for my shift.

Cons

Work is hard and HOT in the summer. Really, you will work inside, in a hat, in front of a dump station with no air flow at all! The old GM would bring ice water around for us when the temps were rally high.
    The pay is very low and you will not get a raise unless you get promoted, which is hard to do as thee is no room to move up. Other things that I can think of are: zero benefits, high turn over, the kitchen can be rather hostile in mood most days.

Advice to Management

Pay better, understand what the working conditions are and be sensitive to it.

"The Right Hand of The Operation"

Current Employee - Office Manager in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Saint Paul, MN

Pros

Medium size business with many growoth opportunities, the ability to work autonomosly, flexible schedules, Multi-faceted positions which expose you to the hospiality industry, skill building and close team culture.

Cons

Non competitve wage (on average 20% lower than the industiy). Benefits aren't very great, long hours - and multi-site coverage may be required depending on your position in the company. Technology is about a few years behind regarding systems. A decentralized coporate office poses challeneges with communication, so be prepared.

Advice to Management

Be prepared to do tasks that extend beyond your job description (if there is one). Be patient, open and understanding to the needs of your team members and staff. Be prepared to be your own system of checks, balances and proponent for improvement.

6. "good place to start in hospitality"

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time

Pros

Able to develop additional skills in hospitality

Cons

ineffective team-work due to poor supervision and response

Advice to Management

communicate better with staff and more frequently

"Rapidly expanding company"

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality full-time

Pros

always lots of work to be done

Cons

a bit unorganized, growing faster then they seem know how to handle

8. "Potential"

Pros

Good to be in a growing company

Cons

Fairly high turnover. And poor performance review practice.

Advice to Management

Work on employee retention and annual performance reviews

"Growing company but poor communication"

I have been working at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy the ability to work for a growing company, that promotes staff from within. I also appreciate how hard front-line managers work. Their day to day operations people are wonderful and work hand in hand with hourly staff quite well. I just keep telling myself to stick it out for 3 more years, and maybe I will earn a promotion like some of my managers have earned.

Cons

Every single property has a GM who is micro managed to death by a Regional Manager. No one can make a decision, and there is quite a bit of turnover. The retail staff is given direction from Regional Managers which completely oversteps the GMs authority.

Many great, wonderfully hard-working managers have quit or have been let go. Salary managers will work 60 to 70 hours a week, with 100 hour work weeks sprinkled in throughout the busy season. The company is growing at a very fast pace, and not thinking about growth, rather taking on new business then just figuring it out.

Their catering team is clearly not defined with leadership. Banquet Managers answer to GMs, and also report to Regionals and a Corporate Banquet Manager. There are too many cooks in the kitchen, and trying to work every single day as a Banquet Manager in this company is stressful. The few companies I have worked for typically have someone in charge of sales and someone in charge of operations. Regional Managers should have nothing to do with catering, and should focus solely on retail.

Advice to Management

Seperate the divisions of the company, we are growing to fast to not change our corporate management structure. Let the GMs run our venues, I should never have to speak to a Regional Manager. My GM should be the one to give me direction (not a Regional).

"realized I didn't like the place after I left"

I worked at Lancer Hospitality full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

great people for the most part, but they get rid of the good GM's and replace them with bad ones
    they are very much for promoting within if you are in the cook department or a teenager trying to become a shift led

Cons

terrible way of firing people, the management does not give any forewarning
    horrible communication

Advice to Management

work better together, have better communication, don't keep secrets about every little thing, hire a lawyer to rewrite your employee handbook, also do not have your director of operations do the work of a general manager

but glen baron was a great president for the company, he always treated me well