Land Air Express of New England Reviews | Glassdoor

William Spencer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Land Air Express of New England full-time

Pros

Great, comfortable atmosphere working with strong and smart teams.

Cons

I don't have any cons.

Advice to Management

Great job and thanks for always having an open ear.

2. "No job security"

I have been working at Land Air Express of New England full-time

Pros

Well, the pros are some of the people.

Cons

There is absolutely no job security, the upper management has no idea how to retain good employees. Stuck in the past, waiting for something to give that clearly won't.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to make it happen and just give in.

3. "Family atmosphere"

I have been working at Land Air Express of New England full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Family atmosphere,

Cons

Slightly lower pay scale and benefits.

4. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Turnersville, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Turnersville, NJ

I have been working at Land Air Express of New England (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved it, great company...willing to allow you to manage without micromanaging, great pay

Cons

They were closed by Feds for Non Compliance

Advice to Management

Remember those that were loyal???

5. "not great"

I worked at Land Air Express of New England full-time

Pros

Small family owned business with nice people.

Cons

1% at the top while 99% at the bottom do the work.

Advice to Management

there are too many of you.

6. "Bad company"

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Holyoke, MA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Holyoke, MA

I worked at Land Air Express of New England full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I can't honestly say nothing good. Management is extremely unprofessional and lacks people skills.

Cons

Lack of real leadership. Talk down to employs and when it comes to taking your break. They have an issue with it.

Advice to Management

Take care of the ones that keep that ship afloat. Develop people skills. Stop making your good help quit because your unfair treatment.

7. "Corporate AR department"

Former Employee - Corporate AR in Williston, VT
    Former Employee - Corporate AR in Williston, VT

Pros

For the most part, the dynamic in our office and the relationships we established within our terminals and customer base were amazing. In fact, these are the things I miss most about LAX. When my son became terminally ill, I was granted as much time off as needed to be with him, he was only two, however I was forced to use my vacation time, and the rest was unpaid. My team became amazing after we cleaned house.... My department boss fought for us the best that she could. I miss her dearly.

Cons

Maternity leave, unpaid. No sick time. I was under paid for two years, on the wrong pay scale once promoted and was told "oh well, nothing we can do now." The scandal and DOT shutdown crippled us.... We were constantly forced to wear several hats within the company and still expected to perform our own job while keeping the standards and expectations high. It was impossible. And the only incentive was that if you did well, you wouldn't have your rear end chewed out. Communication was lacking. A lot of secrets and hush hush talk when the DOT shut down occurred. Though the Spencer's did fight the best they could, things still could have been handled differently if the chest pounding machoism could have been put aside, many jobs potentially could have been saved... Terminals could have been saved... What a sad way to destroy a company.

Advice to Management

There is no advice to give now. LAX sold out to avoid losing everything they had because they were so in debt. People are still losing their jobs. Cut backs are still being made. Corporate will eventually be shut down and moved to Manchester where the new owners office is, just to save more money. All the major customers jumped ship. The relationship with the reliance network was destroyed. Friendships between these companies ceased to exist. People were embarrassed for us. Shame on Land Air. Grow your safety department. Invest in quality equipment, and enforce that your shops do quality repairs instead of using duct tape, and hiring kids who don't know a wrench from their elbow to work in your shops. Pay people what they are worth... Treat them with respect. Stop taking from your employees... Just to make sure management can keep their salaries. A lot of what you have done, is too little too late. People believed in you. Not just your customers but your employees, and all you did was let us all down. My heart breaks still, every time I hear about someone else I know who is let go without warning because of another cut back. Shame on you Land Air. Absolute shame.

8. "Screwed over"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Williston, VT
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Williston, VT

I worked at Land Air Express of New England full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They were a great place to start my career. Definitely was my stepping stone in life and the people were great. I was treated as if I was a part of the family and my coworkers were all very nice. The owner's brother (also owner) put a lot of trust in me and I liked that.

Cons

Needs a massive change in management. The former owner surrounded himself with his clique and that was his downfall. Pay was very poor, was in a supervisor role and making less than 40k a year where my talent should have netted me at least 50k at any other company of this size. I asked for a raise (my very first attempt to ask for a raise after 8 years of service) and I was told that they had a pay scale that he (the VP) had to follow and the only way I would be able to get a raise was to get promoted in the company, but I knew it was a dead end for me since there were no other positions available for me. I was eventually forced out due to their uncalled for aggression on their part but I got the last laugh because unemployment could not believe what I told them and I'm sure Land Air really thought that I would be denied my claim but not in this lifetime! Probably should have gotten myself a lawyer and took them to court and claim wrongful termination but I knew they had no money to pay regardless so it would have been a waste of my time in the end. And boy was I correct because their recent massive scandal forced them to clean house and lost any future they may have. As I have told them from the time I left, they would not survive without me!

Advice to Management

Get rid of this clique-y management because putting too much trust in their "friend" rather than "employee" ultimately made the company fail and needing to downsize to where they are now.

9. "I'm back"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Boston, MA

I have been working at Land Air Express of New England full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big improvement from before shutdown. Competitive pay I crease. Equipment upgrade from before. Big changes in ownership..... For the better I must say. Bill Spencer is now a minority owned. Company bought out by New England freightways. Company downsized greatly after shutdown to a point theyre not too big for their own capabilities. It's not the same place I remember and I was only gone for 3 months. $3.00/hr pay hike and they gave me all my vacation time back. It was a welcome change

Cons

One downside is they used to pay OT after 40 hrs.. Now it's after 50. But it's still 4,000 more a yr. I'm no longer ashamed to say I work here. But most companies pay this way anyway these days. Only other negative is some of the major accounts haven't cone back yet. Hopefully they'll see the progress I have soon. Jury is still out but I'm optimistic I haven't seen the last of the iimprovements.

Advice to Management

To Bill Spencer...., in the past I have spoken harshly on the way you ran this company. I won't apologize for last remarks cause they were much deserved but I will give you this. Good job in fixing what was wrong. Sad it took a DOT shutdown to fix the matter but I applaud your recent efforts. Hopefully we're not done yet making it better but I like the direction we're going in. I hope to be here for a long time to come.

10. "data entry/ secretary/customer service"

Former Employee - Secretary in Barnegat, NJ
    Former Employee - Secretary in Barnegat, NJ

I worked at Land Air Express of New England (More than 5 years)

Pros

Utilizing my skills I have to improve any new skills to benefit of that company ..

Cons

I have none at this time . Thank you