Land O'Lakes Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 10, 2021

4.1
Land O'Lakes President and CEO Beth Ford
Beth Ford
Pros
  • "Great work life balance, cooperative(in 38 reviews)

• "meaningful work, awesome resources, good benefits, happy people(in 23 reviews)

• Cons
  • "long hours but that is manufacturing for you(in 10 reviews)

• "One strike and you're out policies set by upper management with no trucking industry experience whatsoever(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Land O'Lakes and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great company with strong culture

Jan 10, 2021 - Commodity Analyst in Arden Hills, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance, cooperative

Cons

Doesnt award higher performers for high performance

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work!

Jan 2, 2021 - Change Architect in Arden Hills, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture is great and I like working here

Cons

Not a great work-life balance for some

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

great place to work

Nov 10, 2020 - Fork Lift Driver in Minneapolis, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

compensation and work life balance

Cons

disconnect with managers who are remote

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Honestly? It's really nice.

Jul 14, 2020 - Marketing Analyst in Arden Hills, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Given the current environment, I think one of the most relevant questions to ask is "how did this company respond to COVID and their employees' well-being?" Well, for HQ employees, there's always been a standing policy that working from home was totally fine. Some companies say you can but will judge you for it, but it wasn't like that at Land O'Lakes. The company reacted to COVID relatively early; we all went full-remote in March. Guidance passed down from the CEO from the get go was "hey we understand that things are going to be tricky, so do your best to get your work done but it's totally understandable if you're less productive". As time went on, everyone got into their stride and tempo went back to normal. Work life balance has always been good. Some people will work slightly different hours if that works better for them (e.g. 8-3, and then an hour in the evening), but most just work 8-4 or 9-5. I don't really get emails on the weekend or holidays, and there's no expectation to answer them if I do. As for inclusiveness, the company does seem to make a real effort to promote inclusiveness and diversity, it's not just superficial. One final note, there is a constant conscious effort to recognize people's efforts, from teams to the entire org. It's refreshing.

Cons

Work load can be daunting at times, and prioritization can be an issue. That said, management is understanding, and will do what they can to help. There are definitely people with too much on their plate, or involved in too many projects. Some of that is involuntary, some is self-inflicted. It can be an issue either way, and that can affect projects and timelines.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee

Supervisor

Sep 2, 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits! Competitive salary! Some of the people you work with are genuinely great spirited people.

Cons

It all depends on the plant. The one I worked at the management was awful. Very unorganized, terrible communication and did not invest in “talent” . To start they didn’t mention the work hour which is 50 hrs a week (it wasn’t written anywhere on my offer) and had to work Saturdays whenever they needed. It’s a salary job so one would assume a 40hr work we but instead I averaged 55-65 hrs a week (no real work life balance) Management just wants you to keep the production floor moving that’s really it they don’t want to teach you more than disciplining your employees making sure they are at their posts on time not even a second late. Production is so much more than that but they refuse to teach you more. They don’t communicate with you why changes are happening or production schedules are higher than normal they just expect you to adapt to what’s happening with no understanding of the end goal.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Love the CEO

Feb 6, 2020 - Senior BI Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Laid back, Work-life balance, Training and Development Opportunities

Cons

No bonus, no promotion, no career growth

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Local MN firm outsourced

Nov 9, 2018 - Senior Systems Engineer in Arden Hills, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Overpay and good benefits/Health Insurance.

Cons

1. Outsourced 2. They will pay specific folks very high to maintain diversity. Even thou team does the same work. 3. No growth: After staying several years the career path is stagnant unless you impress your manager with happy hour. In the name of growth they will assign you work of retired employees and blame you end of the year for not picking up new initiatives.. 4. Under performing : Some upper level folks are under performer and whole job is to keep an eye on employee hours and approve time sheets. 5. Several re orgs in past 5 years, so no clear vision. 6. Employees are billed hours and treated like contractors. 7. You may end up working weekend hours so no work life balance. 8. Unethical Environment: You will often hear from your boss that since you don't have kids so you are not supposed to have a break or spend time on weekends in Middleware and devops. 9. Too many lies: in one instance they said no layoff and there was layoff the following month.

5 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee

Decent company, good people, but hard to move up and benefits aren'

Dec 11, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance is nice. Pay is above average for what your responsibilities are (at least in my department) Lots of time away from work while on the clock such as volunteering, parties etc.

Cons

Extremely difficult to move-up within the company. Had five interviews, but none of them pulled through for me. I was told I could get some on-the-job training in the transportation department I was looking to join after interviewing with the hiring managers(for one of the jobs I didn't get). I arranged time to meet with them, but when it was time, my manager in my department told me that the company doesn't allow that unless you take hours from your PTO. Hard to move up here.

2 people found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Nice company to work for

Jun 4, 2019 - Customer Development Manager in Arden Hills, MN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good leadership, good work life balance.

Cons

Big company, lots of moving parts.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee

Committed employer

May 24, 2019 - Senior Process Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and work life balance

Cons

Some lack of leadership sometimes

Viewing 1 - 10 of 45 Reviews