LandAmerica Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor

LandAmerica Financial Group Reviews

2.0
Joff Mitchell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "LandAmerica, a decent place to work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Good place to work, training is adequate and the pay is about average. The atmosphere is casual, laid back, and mostly everyone is friendly.

Cons

Not that it was totally their fault, but management could have been better prepared to deal with the economic crisis. It is surprising that such a large corporation could fall under hard times in the housing market; but again, not entirely their fault.

Advice to Management

I think the communication between senior management and the employees needs improvement. It is important that they know who works for them, personally.

2. "A company that should be number one... but is sliding down the ladder."

Pros

a large company, which should be better able to weather the housing and mortgage crisis...

Cons

Management's lack of competency and creating issues that have lost significant business for the company. Although you're not always on top in your industry as a company, better business practices and promoting those that are worthy of promotions is a much better way of staying at the top of the list...

Advice to Management

I'm not sure they would be capable of listening, that's why the company is where it is today, and not looking good for tomorrow...

3. "If you have no other options, it's fine but it won't be a rewarding experience."

Former Employee - Senior IT Manager
    Former Employee - Senior IT Manager

Pros

Decent benefits although I understand that has changed significantly since my departure. If you establish the right connections and stay on the party line, you can advance. There isn't much pressure to do things the right way and a complete lack of focus on continual improvement. So, if you just want to go to a job each day and bring home a paycheck, it's a good place to "hide."

Cons

Lots of politics, lack of direction and support from senior and executive management, incompetent technical leadership. They aren't really interested in ideas from employees. If you publicly stray from the party line, you will be isolated and eventually moved out.

Advice to Management

Create a strategy to implement your vision. There seems to be good conversations and a decent vision but a complete lack of a realistic implementation plan.

4. "LandAmerica is in trouble"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Denver, CO

Pros

LandAmerica has been very understanding when giving me the time off I have requested.

Cons

Wages for employees have been frozen, yet management has voted 2 million dollar bonuses for some of the top people. I have been with this company for almost several years and I have yet to see even a christmas card much less a bonus. We are being given ideas to cut expenses shuch as turn off the lights in the office and use the lights from the windows, while our bosses are flying to vegas for conferences and golf. The reasons for promotions have more to do with who is your buddy than how much you work or know.

Advice to Management

Communications are key, while you talk about communications being important you fail to follow through.