Landesa Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tim Hanstad

"Qualified and industrious team; promising future"

Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Landesa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This organization is full of people who are intelligent, hard-working, and qualified. The former CEO has a strong commitment to the success of the organization and its staff, and everyone is eager to see how the new CEO will lead us forward in continuing to implement Landesa's mission.

Cons

Landesa has been around for over 40 years -- As the staff changes and times change, there have been growing pains. On the bright side, I feel like the organization is poised more than ever to focus on staff satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on staff satisfaction, soliciting feedback from staff and being responsive to input and feedback. Have transparency in the process for receiving feedback and putting corrective actions in place.

"Good mission, toxic environment."

Former Employee - Program Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Landesa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission is impeccable, and the organization attracts intelligent, capable and committed individuals.

Cons

During my time at Landesa, the organization was a toxic place to work. There were not opportunities for growth. There was a lack of trust of management, and a lack of transparency about how decisions were made. Insider-outsider dynamics determined who was selected for which projects.

Advice to Management

While these issues may have been addressed since I've left, I would recommend less hierarchical decision-making, and more opportunities for growth.

Jun 14, 2016 – Director, Global Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We agree that we have a great mission and we have very intelligent, capable and committed colleagues. Since we don’t know when you left Landesa, we will share that ... More

"Painful growth spurts, but finding its way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The Landesa team is dedicated, passionate, and very smart. The work is challenging and ever-changing. If you're looking for a place to learn and be challenged, this is it. Without Landesa and the training, opportunities, and mentorship that I received there, I would not be the professional that I am today.

Cons

There are some internal issues that are being worked out. Everyone is dedicated to the mission, but not everyone agrees on how to best realize it. Strong leadership at the top will help bring everyone in line. There are some toxic people who have not been reigned in and who undermine the good work of the organization.

Advice to Management

Follow through on commitments to staff, including around building Programs. Also, recognize and appropriately deal with toxic people. The problem will not just disappear on its own and must be dealt with decisively.

Jul 14, 2015 – Director, Global Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We agree we have dedicated, passionate and very smart staff working at Landesa. We also know there can be challenges between personalities, especially when there is ... More

"Great mission and wonderful organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Landesa full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Landesa offers an opportunity to make an impact on the world as its work improves the lives of countless poor women and men across the globe. The work is intellectually stimulating, my colleagues are dedicated, friendly, and supportive, and the compensation packages are more than fair. Overall, a wonderful place to work.

Cons

The amount and importance of the work can be taxing, but that is more a result of being self-driven than management-driven. The organization has tolerated a small number of bad apples who sometimes create a certain level of toxicity, but the great majority of colleagues are incredible.

Advice to Management

Keep making efforts to even further improve already strong programs. Move more quickly to address bad behavior and discipline the few who cause dissension. Keep your eye on those the organization serves as well as the morale of your great staff.

Mar 23, 2015 – Director, Global Human Resources

Sounds like we need to continue encouraging staff to create boundaries to ensure no one gets burned out. Thanks for that reminder. We also appreciate the comment on the bad behavior. We take that ... More

"Organization has a good mission, but is not a healthy, functional work environment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Landesa full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Landesa has a unique mission and a majority of its staff are clearly dedicated to accomplishing that mission. Its salaries and benefits are above average for a nonprofit organization in Seattle. The CEO seems to be a genuinely nice, intelligent guy.

Cons

During my brief time at Landesa, there was an extraordinary amount of staff turnover, particularly at the executive level. The organization's leadership attributes the turnover to "growing pains," but I'm convinced there must be some other cause beneath the surface. In all my years of working for nonprofit organizations, I've never encountered as much dysfunction as I experienced at Landesa and I've never been so happy to leave a job. In a few years, it might be a better place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your systems (IT, database, etc.). Empower staff to make decisions or clarify who has the authority to make decisions rather than making every decision as a group. Hire an external consultant to diagnose why turnover has been so consistently high for so long.

"Hard to really break into the substantive work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Interesting innovative work. Positive people.

Cons

They don't seem to promote within, or really invest in RAs.
    Everyone is overloaded with work

Advice to Management

Invest in your own people.

"Embarking on a new and bright future"

I have been working at Landesa full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The mission of Landesa--addressing poverty by working to secure the land rights of poor people living in the rural, agricultural areas of developing nations, with a focus on women's land rights--is amazing. Overall, the staff is deeply committed to this mission. Compensation and benefits are quite competitive, and never before have I worked with a more intelligent group of people. The new strategic plan and new CEO poise Landesa at the brink of taking its mission to the next level. Contrary to what some others have posted, I do not find the work environment to be at all toxic. (BTW, I suspect the posts on 8/17, 7/5, and 6/4 are by the same person...and frankly this person took a large portion of any toxicity with them when they left.)

Cons

Some people at Landesa are workaholics. Some thrive on this; others burn out after a number of years and leave for other opportunities. While many leadership issues have been dealt with, a few remain; hopefully these will be addressed by the new CEO.

Advice to Management

Set a direction guided by the new strategic plan, deal with the remaining leadership issues, quell the staff's whining and complaining, and lead Landesa into a bright new future

"Missing a chip"

I have been working at Landesa full-time

Pros

There are some very bright, dedicated, good-natured and hardworking people that you will love seeing and working with every day. Good benefits and compensation. When you can focus on it, the work is important, meaningful, and interesting. Prospects of new leadership and other additions across the organization hold great potential and are being embraced.

Cons

It’s already been said by the other reviews: toxic. It’s too bad, because a healthy and productive environment seems within reach. Landesa has most of the right ingredients. It’s just a couple persistently rotten ones that hold it back. One is a couple departments or higher-level people that lack either the competence to do essential work at the right level and don’t have the staff’s confidence, or that don’t have the right disposition and outlook for the global development sector. Another thing that’s harder to pinpoint is a general inability to live out the organization’s values and the culture that it wants. Take the example of wanting to have an environment where accomplishments are recognized and staff feel valued, something that has come up in organizational feedback. Instead of just being that way, which requires managers and others to simply be the type to call things out, take the time to say a few authentic words, or clearly tie performance to advancement, Landesa will do something like establish some awkwardly contrived minutes at every staff meeting where staff are put on the spot and have to come up with praise for someone else. Even in this exercise, you rarely see things coming from the top. Day to day in normal interactions, non-senior staff get this stuff. The miss is coming from above where tone setting could happen. It seems to not be in people’s personalities organically (whether it’s for this example or for having open discussion, communicating effectively, creating accountability, whatever), and the repeated inability to get the values stuff right might simply come down to that.

It seems difficult for some people to grow at Landesa and it's contributed to some departures. The staffing setup is such that most managers have far too many responsibilities on their plate to mentor or track anyone. And or they are not specifically accountable to the organization for doing it, so it does not happen.

There is generally not a climate for robust intellectual discussion and exploration. Busyness seems like a factor, but that can’t be it. There is a timidity or disinterest around acknowledging and dealing with disagreements and things that challenge the organization's assumptions or narratives, and you must be exceedingly careful not to offend.

Advice to Management

I don’t know, these things have been discussed time and again without true results. Again, I think it comes down to some key people at the top missing the right chip or something. For this reason, I would look to the new incoming leadership. Find out what’s really going on. Go deep and broad. Set a new tone with authority and enthusiasm and accountability. Don’t let people blame problems on growth. Landesa is not that big, and there have been years to deal with the past growth.

Jul 14, 2015 – Director, Global Human Resources

Thank you for your insight. We hope you have shared these with your supervisor or human resources. We have tried to create an environment where sharing across the organization will provide ... More

"caution--not what it seems"

Pros

stated mission is good; some great people

Cons

toxic environment; terrible leadership; rewards incompetence and bad behavior

Advice to Management

look inward. you are the problem--you can fix it with a lot of help and a large dose of self-analysis.

Jun 22, 2015 – Director, Global Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry your experience at Landesa was not positive. Our recent efforts and commitment towards Organizational Health, are focused on building an environment based on ... More

"Great mission, good people, managing well through challenges"

Pros

This organization is dedicated to improving the lives of a billion poor people in the developing world through the magic of secure land rights. If you have any kind of social conscience, what's not to love about that? Smart, dedicated people, including - but not limited to - the original founder and his successor as CEO. Massive opportunity, and the associated challenges! Good compensation and benefits for the sector.

Cons

The core work is complex and challenging, involving the overlapping factors of international law, customary practices, language, culture, economics, etc. Added to that are the need to continually find and "manage" philanthropic funders, and governance in a multi-national environment. This work is not for the faint of heart. There's also organizational change to manage, to which there's strong resistance from some of the "old-timers".

Advice to Management

Maintain the focus on the "sweet spot" of work that's both mission-focused and able to be funded. Be clear to all employees - old and new - that they need to decide either to back the direction or get off the bus.

Mar 23, 2015 – Director, Global Human Resources

Thank you for your encouragement and thanks for the time you spent as a colleague at Landesa. We appreciate your perspective and agree the work is complex and challenging. We remain committed to ... More