Landis+Gyr Reviews | Glassdoor

Landis+Gyr President and CEO Andreas Umbach
Andreas Umbach

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The GDC is better in terms of culture and work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• poor management specialy baddi plant (in 8 reviews)

1. "Improving"

Current Employee - Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Landis+Gyr full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Winning company that cares about its employees and does its best. Gets better all the time in some respects. Highly-motivated bunch of people. CEO is very positive, forward-thinking, and displays high integrity.

Cons

Ambiguous promotional path for many positions. Quite a number of positions have heavy national and some international travel requirements. Small bonuses and anemic incentives for individual contributors. Crowded office. Quite a number of people working much overtime.

Advice to Management

Eliminate and replace GDC - they're awful to deal with - slow, fair to poor quality, poor communication skills. I'd almost rather work an extra 20 hours a week and get it done right but I'm already maxed-out. Zero team building in my department. Everyone I talk to in the building is too busy to take on anything else. I see people in the office past 7-8 PM every day - working nights and weekends year-in and year-out. Need more incentives for hard workers. Treat employees like they're the awesome winners they are. Boost morale, push team-building. Raise the $&* base bonus $ for ICs!

2. "Great Employer"

Former Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Landis+Gyr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment
    Everyone is helpful
    HR Cares

Cons

No advancement in administrative

3. "Great place to work even though it lacks organization."

Current Employee - RF Technician
    Current Employee - RF Technician

I have been working at Landis+Gyr (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay. Good training and management communicates well with employees.

Cons

It takes a long time for anything to happen around here. I haven't had a raise since I started nearly two years ago.

Advice to Management

Less micromanagement. Recognize employees for their accomplishments.

4. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Landis+Gyr full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many different engineer team aspect to work in

Cons

Not enough work space
    Cubicle space is down size

"A poor investment"

I have been working at Landis+Gyr full-time

Pros

Work-life balance. Customers are monopolies with no competition, resulting in less overall pressure. Most employees are self managed.

Cons

When I started working for the company many years ago, I was impressed with the people and the technology. Everyone had a go getter attitude, and the tech was innovative and new. In the last 4 years or so, has gone downhill significantly. Years of promoting and hiring the wrong people for the wrong reasons has resulted in a weakened workforce. It takes longer to get products out the door, and once they do, they are full of defects. There is an entire group of professionals (TIMS) whose sole job is to reverse engineer the companies own products to figure out how they work, because management is so poor. Most managers have little to no management experience and are little more than technical leads. A disastrous reorg two years ago followed by a mass exodus left R&D in shambles. The company was built on the backs of the North American employees who carried the non profitable european region for years, however, it is the europeans who have been awarded most of the management positions now. As a result, morale is low. With its offensive capability crushed, the company is only good for keeping up appearances and milking its existing customer base, which it is good at doing. Although it looks profitable on paper, there is little new business coming in as the smart grid industry overall has ended its growth stage and is now leveling out. Career opportunities exist but mostly for those good at social engineering, not performance, although management can't tell the difference. Many smart people are systematically oppressed by incompetent or insecure managers. Quality has always been a problem but has exacerbated to severe levels. Not a place to put your confidence, and not a good investment.

Advice to Management

Instead of focusing on fixing problems fast once they occur, why not try and keep them from happening? Its easier, costs less, and will keep your investors happy. Remember, as a private company no one cares when you fail, but once you are a public company, and you fail, it becomes news. Bad news affects the stock price. You are not used to this kind of dynamic, but will soon learn.

6. "Good Work Balance - Difficult Commute (Alpharetta, GA)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Landis+Gyr full-time

Pros

Good Work Balance with flexibility to work from home when needed

Cons

The Alpharetta office have Bibles laying around, in the break room, and in several corners of the office.
    Furthermore, in the break room, all you can see in the TV is Fox News, all day long.
    I cannot believe that a multicultural, international company, with customers and employees from all over the world allows this type of mindset.

Advice to Management

Please remove the Bibles and change the channel

7. "Excellent company to work for."

I have been working at Landis+Gyr full-time

Pros

The management is very invested in the success of the company.

Cons

Limited career growth opportunities in certain departments.

8. "Mechanical Drafter"

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Just a long commute for me.

"Current Employee"

I have been working at Landis+Gyr full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good base pay and bonus payout, seem to provide opportunity for advancement and promotion.

Cons

Work environment is not flexible and is very chaotic, significant turnover, not a family friendly culture.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to what is happening regarding turnover and implement things to help mitigate the turnover (ie reduce chaos, more flexibility/work from home, etc).

10. "Technician"

Current Employee - Technician in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Technician in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Landis+Gyr full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Comfortable and enriching work. Technology is in an expanding market and appears stable.

Cons

Deadlines can be sometimes unrealistic.