Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Hunt

Pros
  • They give you free snacks and drinks LOL (in 5 reviews)

• free coffee and M&Ms; cool employees (non management); the old CEO Dave Hunt is cool (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can be a bit cliquey (in 5 reviews)

• Knowing this, most people work twice as hard as they should and don't ask for the raises they deserve because they do not feel safe at their jobs (in 3 reviews)

1. "Patent Analyst"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

Pros

good place to work. collaborative environment

Cons

be more aggressive in pursuing projects

Advice to Management

keep up with engaging with employees

"Patent Analyst"

Former Employee - Patent Research Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

free coffee and M&Ms; cool employees (non management); the old CEO Dave Hunt is cool!;

Cons

Management; you are a secretary with higher pay; you must be a professional document formatter, excel expert, it's 80% of your job; with 2 sick days a year try not to catch a cold; not enough time to complete work in the predetermined time (determined by management of course) to complete

Advice to Management

Treat employees like adults; tell prospects that they should be EXCEL experts before hiring them; Give employees training that is actually relevant to what they do

"The Gulag Archipelago"

I worked at Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Location, really tight-knit coworker relations. Really. Your coworkers can become your best friends, and usually your IMMEDIATE bosses are some of the best bosses you'll ever have. You feel like you're part of a family...

Cons

Except you're not part of a family. They lull you into a sense of security, acting like they care about you, and that you are safe as long as your quality of work is good. A lot of the upper level executives will get you fired for no reason. While I was there several people I work with were let go under different pretenses, and it had nothing to do with the quality of their work. They are constantly "restructuring" and moving people around.
    Knowing this, most people work twice as hard as they should and don't ask for the raises they deserve because they do not feel safe at their jobs. The lower level bosses will often also work much harder than they have to because they want to protect their people... but they aren't safe from the mercurial whims of the higher staff members either.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the people you have. If you are going to act like you have a family atmosphere, stay true to that atmosphere. Or be more clear that it's one of those "race until you crash or quit" jobs.

5. "Stress-Free but Boring"

Current Employee - Patent Analyst in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Can work independently and without much oversight, people are nice, flexible with telecommuting after a 6 month period. Starting salary is decent. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Not a lot of room for advancement. Upper management is entrenched. Company recently took away our ability to earn extra money by completing extra cases-called "supplementals". This takes away our motivation to do more work. Workplace is stiflingly quiet-no energy.

Advice to Management

Please bring back supplemental cases. They are a great incentive to increase the amount of work we do, and help your bottom line as well. Provide more opportunities for employees to show what they are capable of.

"patent analyst"

Former Employee - Patent Analyst Eng in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Patent Analyst Eng in Vienna, VA

I worked at Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching (More than a year)

Pros

This company is good enviroment for fresh graduated from school to easy hiring and do some academic research.

Cons

The disadvantage of this company is that they fire people easily without thinking about what employee have done for the company, actually they hire people that's it

"Successful for a reason"

Former Employee - Project Manager, Translation in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager, Translation in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a well-run company that cares about its employees, offers good benefits, and provides opportunities for the ambitious to get ahead. Communication from senior management is outstanding.

Cons

If an employee is under-performing, they take the approach of placing that employee under micro-management, which has a negative effect on motivation and performance. I managed to negotiate a more constructive situation with my supervisor to work my way out from under it, though.
    The lay-off procedure is brutal. I was not laid off for reasons of performance (I had an excellent performance review just last April), but for financial reasons. And this brings me to the title of this review: this company is successful because hard business decisions are taken boldly and without sentimentality. I came into work on the Monday morning, started checking my email, then was called to my boss's office. There, she told me that due to a "business decision" my position had been terminated. After running through a few logistical points with a representative of HR, I had to immediately pack up my things, surrender my keys, key fob and parking pass, and leave. I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye to everyone. The procedure was identical for me as for my under-performing colleague a couple of months earlier.

Advice to Management

Note: I have already shared this advice with management in an email, and it was addressed.
    The way the lay-off was carried out left me feeling discarded, especially given the contributions I had made. I understand that this has to do with the security procedures, but I felt the human side could have been handled better, e.g., by locking my computer, but giving me a chance to say goodbye, or by management immediately sending a follow-up email expressing regret.

"Patent Analyst Researcher"

I worked at Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They give you free snacks and drinks LOL

Cons

very underpaid, Management Politics, No Longevity for many employees, No room for advancement

Advice to Management

There is no diversity, no union and very under

"patent nalyst"

Former Employee - Patent Analyst in Fairfax, VA
    Former Employee - Patent Analyst in Fairfax, VA

I worked at Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching (Less than a year)

Pros

salary, easy hiring, friendly culture,

Cons

poor directors, no room for growing, replacement a lot, easy firing.

"The business of patent searching"

Current Employee - Patent Analyst in Alexandria, VA

Pros

casual dress
    free snacks coffee
    Good analyst training program
    entry level opportunities

Cons

poor work life balance
    expectations not commensurate to pay scales

Advice to Management

add more promotion opportunities so that people who demonstrate increase abilities do not become victims of their own success

"Very different from Engineering companies!"

Former Employee - Patent Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Patent Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Landon IP The Art of Patent Searching full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Free coffee
    -Friendly colleagues
    -They have an okay training program
    - Good exposure to the IP world and the first step if you want to become a Technical Adviser in law firm on go to the USPTO.
    - Good location

Cons

-The owner of the company has no previous experience with IP or a formal education in Engineering. Imagine if you worked for an engineering firm where the director of Engineering has a degree in history but constantly wants to interfere with details of engineer design work.

-No overtime, the average work day in Landon IP is 10-12 hours but you only get paid for 8 hours

-If you go in to the world of IP say your farewells to the world of engineering and finding engineering jobs after, so be careful!

-Several of my colleagues and I developed health problems due to work related stress but unfortunately they had to stay in the company because of their Visa situation.

-If you are going to Landon IP as an international person for your H1B visa and Green card be careful. They will sponsor your H1B Visa but they are going to delay your Green Card application for several years just to make sure that you are staying with them. Because these folks know that if you work in the IP industry for more than 2 years it is almost impossible to get an engineering job after.

-Lots of he-said-she-said, I personally don’t like that.

Advice to Management

We don’t need so many directors and team leads! Let them help out with searches and report writing.