Landor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Jane Geraghty

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people, breakthrough methodologies, effective network" (in 10 reviews)

• "Excellent flexibility with hours, and good work life balance" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Senior management often favours a select few" (in 8 reviews)

• "Unsure about senior leadership and company direction" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A true ideas company"

Current Employee - Designer in Paris (France)
    Current Employee - Designer in Paris (France)

I have been working at Landor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool place to be as a creative. Everybody, including the MD, wants to invent new things, win awards (and we win many) and simply be the best in the world. Some very strong and inspiring people, not only creative but also strategists. Many different clients, corporate but also consumer, and very broad and rather interesting subjects

Cons

We work a lot. Sometimes too much. Very demanding atmosphere. But I learnt a lot since I have joined.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire great people, make salary increases happen faster, and even if we are happy at work, we would like to leave it a little bit earlier :)

May 29, 2018

Thank you for such a positive endorsement. I am thrilled that you are so inspired!

2. "Designer"

I have been working at Landor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the daily creative culture

Cons

Amazing use of resources consistently

Advice to Management

Don't change

3. "Operational Role"

I have been working at Landor full-time

Pros

Amazing people, talent and brand

Cons

There are no cons at this time

4. "Senior Designer"

Current Employee - Senior Designer in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Designer in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Landor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Creative, Innovative, Resourceful, Diverse

Cons

Slow to promote, divided internal culture, competitive

Advice to Management

Would rather not respond to this.

"New York's Alright If You Liked High School"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Landor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Chance to work in branding, with good clients and build on the company legacy. Some of the people working here are very talented and there's a lot to learn if you're open to it.

Cons

Departments are cliquey and all too often people are hyper-aggressive in meetings and shout down opinions they don't want to hear. Raises are meager and some departments are favored much more highly than others regardless of the revenue being generated, which in turn leads to being short staffed. There is also a lack of a perception of what other people do, which limits innovation or the ability to sell in services or evolve offers.

Advice to Management

Get involved and stop letting account and strategy suck all the oxygen out of the room. You're missing opportunities to grow revenue through fostering innovative services and offerings in areas that clients desperately need to bring their brands to market.

May 29, 2018

I am in complete agreement that we do indeed have very talented teams of people and we are continually endeavouring to create a collaborative and innovative environment across our teams to inspire... More

"Landor"

I have been working at Landor full-time

Pros

People. Amazingly kind and hardworking people work here. Flexible for the most part with a decent amount of vacation benefits.

Cons

Senior leadership plays favorites. Exciting work is not evenly distributed across studio. Designers get pigeonholed into one type of work and can be hard to get opportunities to stretch and grow in other areas besides what is deemed your “area of expertise.” P&G work feels like 85% of the studio and can be very limiting. Raises are non-existent and no clear career path. IT department is outsourced and is inefficient and a pain.

"There are better companies"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Landor full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty good work/life balance. Very good benefits. Good pay. A lot of company pride and networking opportunities available to employees.

Cons

There is not much opportunity for growth. To add insult to injury there is no job security with an extremely high turnover rate for such a small office.

Nov 9, 2017

Thanks for your comments.

So glad that you feel our compensation and benefits are competitive and I couldn’t agree more that we are a well connected community of offices. We have also invested... More

8. "Senior Designer"

I worked at Landor full-time

Pros

Big-name clients, plenty of opportunity

Cons

Corporate restrictions, "fit the mold"

Advice to Management

Transparency, evaluations based on individual performance

Nov 9, 2017

Thanks for your comments.

Great to hear that you have been inspired by our impressive client base and the opportunities that arise in the Landor team.

We are always looking for input on... More

"Not the destination for creatives it once was"

I worked at Landor full-time

Pros

Big brands
    Motivated employees
    The name still means something

Cons

Weak leadership
    Politics
    Diminishing resources
    Profit-hungry - WPP willing to lose revenue (and jobs) to maintain high profit margins
    Increasingly, a difficult place to be a creative (less time to do more work)
    A lot of the bright lights have left
    Losing to low-cost competition that focus on design
    Losing to in-house design groups and strategy agencies that focus on strategy

Advice to Management

I suspect you understand that the way forward is to be a highly profitable design strategy consultant. The days of the $4 million FedEx/BP identity programs are over. A smaller company of super smart people dropping in to be future consultants for fortune 500 companies. More strategy, less design. Sadly, that's a company about half the current size.

Jul 4, 2017

Thanks for taking the time to write this review.

We couldn’t agree more that our industry is increasingly challenging, and never has there been more of a need for us to build on our agile point... More

"Nice people, uninspiring leadership, withering business"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Landor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Landor NY were talented and nice. It was a good culture from a people perspective. You feel you can learn from them and they've got your back. I had heard this before I joined and it proved to be true.

Cons

The company president/MD at the time, Alan Adamson, was not that engaged in the business. This left the CFO having a lot of control over how the business was run. Quite frankly, you cannot have an agency positioned as being creative led by a CFO. The processes and rules frustrated account folks and creatives alike. Rally choked the enthusiasm of being there which could have been greater.

Another major con is that Landor somehow missed the boat on digital. This left the agency pigeon-holed as a branding agency, which is becoming more niche and less strong as a revenue-driving model.

Advice to Management

Know what the company / the Landor brand stands for and lean into it. Ask your own people how well the company delivers on the Landor promise and recalibrate.

Jul 4, 2017

Thank you for your review.

We have worked hard to ensure the new leadership team in New York provides a balance of all the best of Landor strategy and creativity underpinned by a commercial... More