Landry's Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

Landry's Chairman, President, and CEO Tilman J. Fertitta
Tilman J. Fertitta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The base pay is very low and there's very little work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• When talking to upper management it is very important to use their language (in 26 reviews)

"Restaurant Manager"

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Landry's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Atmosphere to work in. A lot of room for advancement.

Cons

Many hours a week to work for salaried personnel.

"Don't Trust Them"

Former Employee - Retail in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Retail in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

tickets to concerts and sporting events. Good lunch in the cafeteria. 50% off at the restaurants. Restaurant businesses are good.

Cons

-management is incompetent
    -high turn over
    -too many cooks in the kitchen
    -they fire people with false reasons or false accusations
    -not open to listening to new ideas
    -no HR manager (only a VP who only interacts with you when she's firing you)
    -no coaching, or career development plan
    -inconsistent direction from management
    -very low pay compared to industry standards
    -strict hours with no flexibility
    -micro managing; no trust for you to get your work done without having to explain your every move
    -you have to buy into the discount program

3. "WORST Experience ever"

Former Employee - Payroll Processor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Payroll Processor in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

laid back culture, casual clothes to work, catered food, lots of company events

Cons

Upper level management clearly shows favoritism to certain employees not even qualified because they know they're not qualified either for their management position. The base pay is very low and there's very little work-life balance. The environment i worked in was very toxic, and people were getting fired left and right due to gossip and the manager being involved in cliques and getting rid of hardworking individuals who they didn't like. It wasn't just my department though, because I've heard it was rampant throughout the company. Very little to no growth in terms of career development and raises. My coworker who was there for over 10 years said she didn't receive a bonus or raise in years. HR is just as corrupt. Benefits are very expensive as well.

Advice to Management

choose better educated management. offer better benefit plans and career development plans.

4. "Great company to start off at after graduating from college"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees there are great to work with. Benefits are wonderful. Restaurant discounts are worth it. CIO Lori Kittle is awesome.

Cons

No room for growth, may take about 5 years to move until up/increase pay. Poor management skills. Unorganized IT department. Too much politics involved and over working the bottom people with lesser pay.

Advice to Management

Manager needs to focus on better procedures.

5. "Retail Department"

Current Employee - Retail Department in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Retail Department in Houston, TX

I have been working at Landry's full-time

Pros

The discount program and the cafeteria

Cons

9-6 hours, favoritism , no one knows real retail buying. With the hours 9-6 you don't have time for anything in normal life. Management has the "favorites" HR knows it and does NOTHING about it. With the workload you have to work over time in order to get things done, but not compensated for it.

Advice to Management

Get a management team that has experience in Retail Buying.

6. "Decent Employer for Waiters/Bartenders/Hosts etc."

Former Employee - Hostess in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Hostess in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's part-time

Pros

Landry's offers a network of restaurants all over the country and even in other parts of the world. If you leave on a positive note, there is high potential to come back and work there again in the corporate offices for example.

Cons

The restaurant environment can be very exhausting. Sometimes your co-workers can be a little immature and uneducated.

Advice to Management

The management was pretty good at the restaurant where I worked. They really seemed to care about their staff.

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

Pros

Great people, good perks and corporate events. Laid back casual culture.

Cons

Very slow and unresponsive to innovation, trends and new ideas

Advice to Management

Be more open to change and listen to employees

"HR/Payroll"

Former Employee - Human Resources/Payroll in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources/Payroll in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a company cafeteria with affordable meals, you get discount at restaurants, they give away alcohol frequently, tons of office parties, free soda, and kolaches on Fridays.

Cons

They have a very high turn over rate with employees in all depts, so they are always short handed. The work load is very heavy and you get one week training to learn it all. There is a ton of gossip and office drama going on all the time. The company in general lacks structure and organization. Many employees fear asking questions or even letting anyone know they are uncomfortable so the pattern is to just quit or be fired. I wish i was warned before i started working there but i was blinded by all the benefits.

Advice to Management

The manager has a i don't care attitude, doesn't give straight answers on anything, and is very unorganized. They stated that everyone who works there is replaceable and its not their problem. Not exactly leadership material if you ask me. They do not give yearly reviews either, They say they will but never apparently have time. You will have to consistently ask, remind and almost beg to get one. Then find out raises are only 1% at the most.

"Landry's Corporate"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of nice people who work at corporate. There are also many events/activities they hold throughout the year that are fun. The corporate office provides a full-service cafeteria and a pretty decent gym.

Cons

Upper management. Yearly raises do not commensurate with the amount of work you do.

10. "Server"

Current Employee - Server Trainer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Server Trainer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Landry's (More than a year)

Pros

Management in my property and restaurant is awesome. I have NEVER seen another establishment where every dept gets along with one another. Park Ops, retail, kitchen, floor, exhibits, banquet, and even office. There is structure and recognition when due. The word "family" is a perfect description of how well we get along with each other.

Cons

Having to go up to another floor to use the restroom, paying for our discounts ($9.80 a check but considering we get 50% off at majority of the restaurants, who cares? It's worth it.) Shift meals valued at $19.99 and the options gets old quickly.

Advice to Management

I really can't say anything other then keep acknowledging your employees for jobs well done. Recognition and appreciation makes us keep wanting to do what we do. You are our leaders. We look up to you.