Landry's Seafood Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Tilman Fertitta

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Head Wait Server and Training Team Member"

Current Employee - Head Wait Server and Training Team Member in Kemah, TX
    Current Employee - Head Wait Server and Training Team Member in Kemah, TX

I have been working at Landry's Seafood full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Beautiful view and localtion on the water, high volume restaurant, wonderful team work and family oriented staff. Sales contests that create a fun, competitive and rewarding environment based off performance. Compassionate and friendly management that make you want to do a good job for them. Flexible hours and scheduling that allow myself and other employees to pursue other ambitions such as school and activities outside of work.

Cons

Slow season between January and February is financially challenging to endure. Working twelve hour shifts with virtually no breaks days in a row and can a toll on not only your body but mind as well.

Advice to Management

Be understanding that a server that is fed, allowed to take at least a few minutes for a break will have an overall better attitude which will transcend into better service and a happier guest.

2. "Assistant General Manager"

I have been working at Landry's Seafood full-time

Pros

Good Salary, Good People to work with, Strong brand behind you

Cons

Coupon too much, upper management seems to have all personal directives

3. "Poor managment of good servers"

Current Employee - Server in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Server in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Landry's Seafood part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay can be nice if the managers do not overstaff a shift.

Cons

The managers frequently overstaff shifts.
    The managers treat the servers like children.

4. "Great place, bad fit"

Former Employee - Server in Kemah, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Kemah, TX

I worked at Landry's Seafood part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I trained the week before spring break and was on the floor serving for the first time in my life during spring break and I handled myself wonderfully. Over spring break and my training, I made over $1,000 and I had two full days off, only one double, and only had a three table section at most.
    Managers and coworkers were friendly, considerate, and very helpful. A unified team environment is very prominent at my old location.
    Restaurant is very busy and is held to very high expectations, but with everyone working together so well, it made the week go very smoothly.

Cons

Out of all restaurants to work in, this is very much on the more difficult end. There are very high expectations of you, but if you are a hard worker and can consolidate well, it will be a breeze.
    My location specifically was severely understaffed for servers and other servers were scheduled doubles every single day during spring break. I was lucky enough to only have one double, but only because my availability was much more restricted because I'm still in high school.
    My location was the Landry's on the Kemah Boardwalk and while the food is expensive and easily adds up to a very high bill, the Boardwalk specifically attracts very undesirable clientele during the summer who don't tip very well, if at all. But, you can make up for it by just getting people in and out of the restaurant as fast as possible to maximize the number of tables you have per day.
    Even though the restaurant closes at 9:30, closing work and cleaning your section is so meticulous that one night I didn't even leave until 1:00am.
    Training is also extremely difficult with so much information crammed into about 5 days. But, it is not impossible. This was my first time serving and I made it through just fine.
    My reason for leaving was that the schedule wasn't going to work with my high school schedule. I still might go back while in college when I can have a better schedule.

Advice to Management

All I would change is a more accommodating schedule, but I know that just couldn't have worked out given the circumstances of how understaffed the restaurant is. The closing work that was such a problem and kept me so late is just a part of the job, I just personally didn't have the time for it then. My only advice for managers would be to hire A LOT more servers or give better pay to attract more servers because even without it being my problem anymore, their employees are still being extremely overworked.

5. "Bartender/ Captain"

I worked at Landry's Seafood full-time

Pros

Works with your schedule, great atmosphere the place has a great family feel to it.

Cons

Still a newer restaurant, sometimes over staffed

Advice to Management

To please care more about the associates and what they have going on in their lives

6. "Host"

I worked at Landry's Seafood part-time

Pros

Great to great customers
    Meet new people
    Discounts

Cons

Have to clean restrooms (Why is that the hostess job?)
    Employed to work PART-TIME and they work you has if you/re FULL-TIME

7. "Server Trainer/Bartender"

Former Employee - Bartender/Server Trainer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Bartender/Server Trainer in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's Seafood (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cash at end of each shift, can make great connections with guests, made life-long friends with other employees, semi-flexible schedule, able to work while going to school

Cons

No value for hourly employees, no job security, management turnover is incredibly high, insurance is terrible, employees made to always feel expendable, must pay for employee rewards

Advice to Management

Work harder to provide a more rewarding work environment, try to increase the value felt by hourly employees by creating a better company culture.

8. "Extra cash"

Pros

- if you need extra cash but not an actual job.
    - some nice regulars.
    - fewer hours that are doable.

Cons

- management that actually controls scheduling and deals with employees are usually on a major power trip.

- management treats servers horribly who will go treat the poor hostesses, bussers, even bar tenders poorly.

- business types come in and treat everyone like scum.

- they will make you do a job your not licensed for and yell at you if you mess it up when they're busy.

- customers have literally told me they see dread coming from the employees when management comes in.

- high turn over rate.

- lots of emotional and physical stress in the work environment.

- the popular people get most of the hours even if they do a poor job and poor customer service.

- scheduling mix up is something that happens alot at this location.

- the one on floor assistant manager that had great people skills quit because of the environment.

Advice to Management

Honestly investigate your management... not that anything will be done about it.

9. "Fear based management"

Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I worked at Landry's Seafood (More than a year)

Pros

Good money, only thing redeeming

Cons

Your work is never satisfactory, you are constantly threatened regardless of your success

Advice to Management

Compassion, praise, be approachable, coach, don't threaten, be willing to compromise

10. "Server"

Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's Seafood full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to have fun and meet new people to network with. Easy to move up in the company.

Cons

Poor management. Managers will work you and threaten you with so much.