Landry's Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 2, 2020

Landry's Chairman, President, and CEO Tilman J. Fertitta
Tilman J. Fertitta
Pros
  • "Employee Discount Program (kind of a pro, you do have to pay for this program)(in 22 reviews)

• "great work environment, good money, friendly workers(in 17 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Very competitive environment but good compensation for working students"

4.0
    Former Employee - Server in Galveston, TX

I worked at Landry's part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

learned plenty of information regarding wine, alcohol beverages, and proper seafood preparations. Upscale dining restaurant where the "guests" tip very generous if you are know everything about the menu. It is a very good restaurant with top of the line chefs which are constantly introducing new cuisines to their guests!

Cons

Some of the restaurant managers are very disrespectful and will yell and curse at you if you mess up. I believe there is a high turnover rate among management because they are under tremendous pressure from upper management. They will also ignore your personal schedule so be prepared to pick up whatever shift they want you to ...and also be prepared to work doubles three or four days in a row sometimes. You do not get a break and work 12 straight hours (usually during the summer time in tourist towns). Ladies.. pedicures each week is necessary. My feet still aren't right :-(

2. "Hit or Miss"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - General Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Landry's full-time

Pros

yearly GM conference in Vegas

Cons

upper management & company culture

3. COVID-19

"There are No Spare Customers but there are Spare Employees"

1.0
    Former Intern - Marketing in Houston, TX

I worked at Landry's for more than a year

Pros

Occasional corporate event with games and food, that's literally it. Can look good on a resume because people don't know how toxic the company is. Casual dress.

Cons

The corporate office itself is nothing but toxic. You think it's just your department until you start to mingle and realize majority of the company is just miserable or they're too comfortable to say anything and jump ship. I worked in the marketing department for about a year and I truly regretted it the minute I walked in the door. There was ZERO training on the brands I was working on, the systems, procedures, etc. You get handed a printed manual that you’re expected to read and learn everything from, but the manual contradicts what actual goes on in the office. Don’t even bother bringing up or questioning if things don’t line up or make sense, management just looks at you like you’re incompetent. Majority of the management are people that have been with the owner forever and people that were brought on by those managers that they have personal relationships with. This causes there to be zero improvement in management, culture, procedures and more. It’s the same stale people, doing the same broken thing and then they wonder why turnover is so high. Managers who regularly mess things up, do zero work, etc., continue to get praise while their assistants bust it to get zero credit, or even worse reprimanded for their manager telling them the wrong thing! I truly believe the VP is great at marketing, but they should not be managing a department. They are clueless to what the management team does/doesn’t do, has no idea how to improve the toxic culture, keeps managers they personally like (not that do a good job), says they are an open door for feedback and improvements but don’t bother it will only get you shunned. They only care about you and gives you praise once you quit, don’t expect a simple “good job” or “thank you” from any manager before then. They preach career growth in the interview but the only way to get ahead is to play the toxic favorite game, keep your mouth shut, hope something opens up within 5 years and then beg to even be considered. This company truly drained my mental health, I was so grateful I got let go during Covid. I didn’t realize how depressed I was from this place until I was gone. Some other things: they will tell you it’s salary, but unless you have manager in your title you clock in and out and it has to be on the set hours, there is zero flexibility with the schedule, but don’t worry if you’re upper management you can leisurely stroll in at 10am. They have zero respect for your personal time, it never failed the minute I clocked out for lunch or for the day I’d get a call from my boss because she couldn’t figure something out or wait. I went on a long weekend trip and the minute I landed I already had texts from boss. Zero respect and ability to function without assistants! Insurance is an absolute joke, expect that to eat up even more of your low paycheck. Unless this is your first job out of college, you will see right thru their poor procedures, culture, and fake persona very quickly. Do not take a job here unless you are just truly desperate, it’s not worth the decline of your health!

Continue reading
  4. "Upper MGMT incompetent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Galveston, TX

I have been working at Landry's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive pay, lots of opportunities to learn

Cons

Upper management is underqualified for their position

"Restaurant manager"

2.0
    Former Employee - Restaurant Manager

I worked at Landry's full-time

Pros

Comprehensive training program, ability to grow career, employee discount program, knowledgeable HR department.

Cons

Upper management leadership is focused on instilling fear as a way to motivate it's employees. Long hours combined with endless amounts of redundant paperwork makes for a poor work/life balance.

6. "Some fantastic elements, some not so great"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Galveston, TX

I worked at Landry's full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers, schedule, flexibility, atmosphere, goals

Cons

Communication with upper management, timely pay

7. "Don't work here if you want to be rewarded for your work. No loyalty to their staff"

Former Employee - Management

I worked at Landry's full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay, Insurance for management, casual clothing

Cons

poor upper management, work life

8. "A Corporation Fueled by Greed"

2.0
    Former Employee - Hostess

I worked at Landry's part-time for more than a year

Pros

Coworkers/managers are kind & hardworking people, the discount program is okay for if/when you want to dine at another Landry’s property.

Cons

Paying money to eat family meal? I’ve never experienced that in other restaurant jobs, it’s tacky. Also, the upper management will see a hardworking employee and take advantage of their work ethic until they’ve drained them of all energy and joy. There is little to no appreciation for hourly employees and the hourly pay is less than competitive in comparison to other upscale restaurants in the area. Also - hourly employees are required to be free on all major holidays but there is NO holiday pay, bonuses, etc. for working through the holiday season (which is grueling).

9. "Meh"

Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Landry's part-time for more than a year

Pros

For a middle-tier restaurant chain, the location management was decently organized.

Cons

As with any corporate restaurant, it is pretty clear that the upper management doesn't care about their employees. We pay into having a discount at work and are open all holidays.

"Lacking morals, compassion, common sense"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Landry's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is always a revolving door of wonderful service staff to surround yourself around, temporarily.

Cons

This company is perfect at chewing up and spitting out loyal and dedicated employees. Upper management will stretch you so thin until there is nothing left of you to give and when you challenge this, they show you the door. You work long, exhausting hours, 365 days a year. Your longest and emotionally draining days will be spent on every holiday, away from your family with no remorse. Their business practices chase a quick dollar and ignore prolonged success. They implement poor management strategies and abuse their employees through threat, sexual discrimination and abuse and beyond. Don't bother reporting anything, it will simply be a waste of time and energy.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 44 English Reviews