Lands' End Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lands' End CEO Jerome Griffith
Jerome Griffith

Pros
  • The work/life balance is great with the exception of peak season which falls from around Thanksgiving to around Christmas (in 12 reviews)

• Great clothes and employee discount (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Flex part time with no offer of Full time (in 15 reviews)

• It was owned by Sears for a time (in 6 reviews)

1. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Operations in Dodgeville, WI
    Current Employee - Operations in Dodgeville, WI

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hours, pay, flexibility, location, environment, benefits

Cons

Stress, drive, meetings, privacy, gossip

Advice to Management

You can advance easy if you work for it.

2. "Solid"

Former Employee - Laborer in Dodgeville, WI
    Former Employee - Laborer in Dodgeville, WI

I worked at Lands' End part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid pay, leads where alright

Cons

Boring Work, people could be unfriendly

3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great product that sells itself.

Cons

The retail locations rent space inside of Sears, which is slowly spiraling toward bankruptcy.

"Many Paths to Grow your Career"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Dodgeville, WI
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Dodgeville, WI

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a lot of growth opportunity. The staff is starting to turn over after a decade being owned (poorly) by Sears and many positions are opening up at all levels. Leadership is starting to focus on attracting quality candidates from Madison through remote work policies and highlighting the great culture. For someone who produces good work, knows how to work with leadership to define their career path and follows that up through self-motivated professional growth there would be few limits.

Cons

Some areas of business are needing a lot of development. Board and executive leadership is somewhat tainted by Sears allies, who I don't feel have Lands' End's best interest at heart.

For some the commute from Madison will be a turn off, but the work-life culture and half-day Fridays balance it out. Don't be a wuss, the drive isn't bad.

Advice to Management

Repair your culture from the terrible "Sears years". Do what you've been doing to grow the business, you are on the right track.

6. "Good for a second job"

Current Employee - Csr1 in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Csr1 in Madison, WI

I have been working at Lands' End part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of high quality items. Lifetime guarantee on wear of products, that some customers take advantage of. Very good customer support. Believe in taking care of the customer and employees. Working from Home is a big bonus. Seasonal training of new products. Have had very good luck with supervisors our of 4, 1 was very bad, but LE worked with me to change to someone else.

Cons

Not set hours and sometimes very few hours until Christmas holiday and then more hours then what I would hope for. With lack of hours you miss changes in procedures. I believe all items made overseas, nothing from US.

Advice to Management

Offer items made in USA. Offer of health club discount and massage discount for home agents in there area. 2 years ago there was more incentives for hourly employees, I think that helps the work repor . or offer a LE gift card after each year of service. Offer 401K to part time employees.

7. "Customer Service Specialist"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Stevens Point, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Stevens Point, WI

I worked at Lands' End full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good company to work for excellent pay good people to work with

Cons

none that I am aware of

Advice to Management

Keeping us informed about current an upcoming events thank you

8. "So-So"

Former Employee - Lands' End Lead in South Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Lands' End Lead in South Burlington, VT

I worked at Lands' End full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady, consistent, predictable, organized, quality products.

Cons

No room for improvement, no emphasis on hiring from with-in for higher level positions.

Advice to Management

People want to feel like they have a future and should not have to look for careers within Sears as an only option for advancement. Why hire new district managers outside of the company when you have seasoned managers who know the business through and through? For those that don't desire career growth this is a steady, well organized retailer that is only hindered by its current ties to Sears. Here's hoping Lands' End has their own stores soon!

9. "Good work/life balance. Not good for career advancement."

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Madison, WI

I have been working at Lands' End full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work/life balance is great with the exception of peak season which falls from around Thanksgiving to around Christmas.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities for continuing education or advancing your career. They try to sell a culture to interns that is really non-existent. For being an office setting it feels a lot like a factory where people clock in and clock out and are not very happy.

Advice to Management

Make solid, market informed, decisions and stick with them. Implement new technology to stay with market trends. Last, nurture the employees you acquire so they can advance their career with Lands' End versus leaving in two years which seems to be the norm.

10. "Customer Service Specialist"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Reedsburg, WI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Reedsburg, WI

I have been working at Lands' End part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company treats their employees in the same manner we are expected to treat the customer...with extraordinary care & service.

Cons

Because it's such a magnificent place to work, folks have been there 1,200 years (ok, a bit of hyperbole there) and it's darned near impossible to get in full-time.

Advice to Management

As I'm consistently in the top 10% company-wide, I'd (selfishly) love to see those metrics used to obtain a full-time position much sooner.

11. "Consultive Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Springdale, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Springdale, OH

I have been working at Lands' End part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great clothes, nice working environment with our department, wonderful support from LandsEnd.com, great co-workers and manager

Cons

Because we are affiliated with Sears and Sears took away the employee discount, we do not get a discount at this time. Being inside Sears is terrible. We could get more sales if we were a free standing store because Sears doesn't pull in customers. LE should be out of Sears stores but he end of 2017 and have more free standing stores.

Advice to Management

Get out of Sears and get visibility. Our sales would be so much better if we were not hidden in a Sears store inside a dying mall. Get out in the open. Give employees a hire hourly wage and give them raises. Please give us an employee discount. We get so little per hour, the discount made it bearable.