Landstar Inway Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 7, 2017

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Pat O'Malley

1. "Landstar Inway BCO review"

Current Contractor - BCO in Dunnellon, FL
    Current Contractor - BCO in Dunnellon, FL

I have been working at Landstar Inway as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

its the closest you will get to operating under your own authority without having to have back office support. Pay is weekly without fail.

Cons

Must install ELD in truck and are charged for airtime from day one rather its installed or not

Advice to Management

you are out to make money off of both the agents and the bco and its working well for you so what advice could I give. keep on trucking.

2. "Only Landstar makes the money while you'll get pennies:("

Former Employee - BCO in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - BCO in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Landstar Inway full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The only reason anyone wants on their own is freedom. Your freedom comes with a high price with this company:(

Cons

Agents lie and cheat the drivers. 70% of their freight never makes it to the load board -- agents hoard the good freight for their trucks or favorite drivers. Landstar charges you fees up the wazoo -- they nickel and dime you for everything. Landstar acts like god when enacting new rules on their whims:( I was here 16 years and wouldn't look at these people again! Actually, I wouldn't be an O/O again because the agents make the money:( I pulled one load that was double brokered. It wasn't paying me great -- about $1400 before Landstar took their cut. I found out how much the load actually paid. That 1st broker took $1000 for what -- making a few phone calls. The system is rigged against the honest person:(

Advice to Management

ALL BCOs should have equal opportunity for all freight! Lower the oppressive fees and percentages. Put more back in the hands of drivers. Reward drivers for longevity by increasing their percentage. Get rid of crooked agents!

"Seems like good company at first but it's false impresion."

Former Contractor - BCO ( Owner Operator) in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Contractor - BCO ( Owner Operator) in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Landstar Inway as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

No forced Dispatch, ability to find dedicated loads. Only requires to have Bob tail insurance which is cheap.Good discount on tires and fuel. Can borrow your money if you neen repairs but 18% interest and you have to pay at least $400 each week.

Cons

You only get %65 of the load pay. Take long time to get pre-qualified. About 70 % of losds on their load board is cheap loads from other load boards that are duplicated. Very strict rules and elog is required for all new hires. Do not really care for drivers little things can get your contract terminated even if you was making them a lot of money. Bad cheap trailers and very slow Road assistance.

Advice to Management

Should care more about their BCOs (O/O) especially ones that was making them good money every week.

"Very crooked company. Scumbags....."

Former Contractor - BCO in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Contractor - BCO in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Landstar Inway as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There are absolutely no pros to signing on with this company. You will find out for yourself if you chose not to listen to the reviews.

Cons

This company will charge you more fees than you can ever imagine. I never even went to orientation and had a bill of over $1,000 because they make you sign all your paperwork before they even approve you. Obviously I made a perfect decision not to go to work for these Crooks.

Advice to Management

The only advice that I have to give to management is, keep doing what you're doing. It will be just a matter of time until Landstar is a thing of the past just like so many other companies.

"OTR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jefferson, GA

I worked at Landstar Inway full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Freedom to choose own loads and the precipice to be home on my schedule

Cons

Choose your partners carefully, based on prior experience some brokers will not pay you for your work completed

Advice to Management

Interact with the drivers to see if they are happy and confortable with their given situation

6. "BCO"

Current Contractor - BCO in Jefferson, GA
    Current Contractor - BCO in Jefferson, GA

I have been working at Landstar Inway as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

A good place to start at being an owner operator. Resources are vast and helpful. Awesome heavy haul division.

Cons

Becoming a large company posting $1.75 with ( .20 fuel surcharges included in the rate) and 65% will put you at Swift and company lease purchase rates. Majority of rates are even lower.

Advice to Management

Slow growth and work on being a direct broker. Good business model.

7. "Not a bad job if it's not a career"

Current Contractor - Automotive Solutions Provider in Rockford, IL
    Current Contractor - Automotive Solutions Provider in Rockford, IL

I have been working at Landstar Inway as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is super easy; it's just repetitive data entry and phone calls that turn into routine things. Most problems that arise just go straight to management to handle anyways. If you go in, do your job, and leave you'll be fine.

Cons

The atmosphere. I've worked with a lot of college age people, but I have never experienced as much gossip in a work environment as I do here.

Advice to Management

Stop throwing hissy fits and always being on a power trip.

8. "Work for small private agency"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Landstar Inway full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working enironment, people are nice and friendly, decent pay with commission and bonuses, real close to the beach, right in the middle of PB.

Cons

The pay is decent, not great. The workload can be very stressful and it's the type of industry that has a lot of problems, no matter how organized you are.

Advice to Management

Offer more incentive to bring in business and don't use employees as scapegoats when things go wrong. Problems will arise, it's not always the employees fault.

9. "Dispatrcher"

I have been working at Landstar Inway full-time

Pros

Cash potential, great place for

Cons

early grinf for the early birds

"Team drivers"

Pros

My husband and i drive as a team and have been with Landstar for 2 years. Being new, we have found Landstar staff to be very helpful when we have questions about compliance, hazmat, company procedures, etc... The perks, such as fuel discounts, LCAPP discounts on parts and labor are also excelllent. We find their online driver dashboard is well set-up and easy to navigate to manage your settlements, pre-trip advances, and to find freight and agents. (note: some people complain that landstaronline.com is not compatible with mac, which we use, but we have not found it to be a hindrance) It is a great company to work for if you are a self starter and are willing to put the time and effort in to make connections with agents you work well with.

Cons

One of our only gripes would be that the few agents we have come across that behave in a dishonest or inconsiderate manner are not, to our knowledge, reprimanded. The good side of this is that we can choose which agents we haul for. It would just be nice if they had a rating system setup for agents and drivers alike to help weed out the bad seeds.