Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Reviews in Elmwood Park, NJ | Glassdoor

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Elmwood Park Reviews

Elmwood Park, NJ

4.1
Langan Engineering and Environmental Services President & CEO David T. Gockel
David T. Gockel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work environment and culture are so great to be a part of (in 18 reviews)

• Great people, great projects, great reputation (in 11 reviews)

Cons

1. "Coudln't Imagine Working Anywhere Else!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Langan is a great company to work for. They treat their employees well, offering salaries that are competative with other similar firms, opportunities for bonuses, challenging projects, and the necessary resources to get the job done and done well! I have been at Langan for over 15 years and have advanced my career through these years. The work environment is good with lots of great people that are not only great at what they do but are people that I can call my friends! Langan creates a family environment offering opportunties to attend baseball games, holiday parties, themed lunches, etc. They have started to offer more flexible/mobile work opportunities with the introduction of laptops and use of VPNs so that you can connect to the network remotely.

Cons

Work life balance has in the past has been challenging but it is defintely getting better with the introduction of more fexible/mobile work opportunties!

They also need to offer more project managment training.

2. "Environmental co-op experience"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

variety of huge projects, many different things to do and gain experience, willing to consider my interests in assigning work, project managers were generally very supportive, balance of field and office work, buddy program to help get started

Cons

co-op pay barely covered rent in the NJ area, no relocation assistance or compensation to co-ops or interns, no technical training so every staff member does things differently and to a very different quality

Advice to Management

having an organizational chart on day 1 would have helped a lot, as well as some kind of assistance in finding housing

3. "intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services as an intern

Pros

Very cool projects
    Training seminars constantly offered
    Good pay
    Great people to work with
    Everyone will answer any question you have

Cons

Long hours
    Sometimes are given "busy" work but that's life of an intern
    Office a little out dated

Advice to Management

keep up the good work and allow your interns to learn as much as they can through the seminars and events offered by your company.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Response

Aug 27, 2015 – HR Manager

Thank you for being a part of our Summer 2015 internship program! It is fantastic to hear that Langan's internship program is being recognized for very cool projects, extensive training, good pay and... More

4. "great place"

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ

Pros

Fun, challenging work fit for learning

Cons

Long hours and sometimes slowly developing projects

5. "Langan Engineering"

Former Intern - Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Intern - Intern in Elmwood Park, NJ

Pros

Smart, competent people. High profile jobs and assignments. Good teams and staff level engineers. Ability to work on different types of projects.

Cons

Very long hours, weekends sometimes for projects that never see daylight, constant revisions of minuscule details, lower level employees can't make any decisions without consulting project engineers.

Advice to Management

Give a little more free rein to your staff, they'll learn more that way. The devil is in the details, but don't get carried away. Try to retain your staff level engineers for more than a few years.

6. "Langan is a competitive firm, perfect for those who are looking for a challenging and rewarding place to work for sure."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

Pros

There are many talented people at Langan, from the experienced knowledgeable senior management to the fresh new engineers out of school. At Langan everyone can largely control their destiny. The time you put in is compensated fairly. Innovative and creative atmosphere exists in most design teams.

Cons

Company culture is to be the best and to achieve this may be draining to some folks.

Advice to Management

Keep communication open and make strategy adjustments based on the collective feedback from all employees. Identify imminent burn-out-potential employees and take decisive actions to improve the situation through communication and discussion of options.

"Easily the best company I've ever worked for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

Pros

Fast paced work environment with very good people. Interesting and challenging projects. High emphasis on continued training and support to do so (financially and otherwise). Bonuses are excellent. Compensation and benefits are competitive. Wage increases over time keep up with competitors (unlike in many other companies where you need to leave to get a decent raise).

Cons

Work-life balance has been improving but there is more to do. Fast paced environment means it is definitely not a place for people looking to coast through.

Advice to Management

Although management appears to have the best interest of the employees at heart more transparency would help to gain trust. Disparity between upper management and middle management.

"Clients matter just as much as employees matter!"

Current Employee - Senior Project Personnel in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Project Personnel in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My stockholder (and others) value quality of life and offer extreme flexibility as long as client deliverables are met. I have unlimited opportunity to use my background on an impressive portfolio of projects. You will work with top class people that focus on clients and employees equally. The company is constantly evolving and progressing, allowing employees to learn, advance their careers, and remain challenged. There is so much training available that the hard part is determining which training to go to. I have colleagues that have received their M.S. straight from the office via the in-house Stevens Graduate Degree Program. My career has expanded here and I work with people who care about me professionally and personally.

Cons

Travel & Expense standards need to be formalized and made equal across disciplines. Some groups expense more than others.

Advice to Management

With growth and transformation the company continues enhancing its communications. Keep up with this trend.

9. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Incredible opportunities for learning, professional growth and development - making sure employees have the appropriate tools and resources they need to do well here. Terrific opportunity for advancement and to interact with individuals of varying disciplines and levels to provide better work and learning experience.

Cons

nothing major that I would consider a true "con" or big downside - there are some longer days or extra hours but nothing I wasn't prepared for and it's just the nature of the consulting industry. Hard work is rewarded, and I feel appreciated for going that extra mile or putting in those extra hours when needed.

10. "Very challenging, overworked."

Former Employee - Site Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Site Civil Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company provided the most recent software to complete projects. There were quality resources available for completing Cad project. There was the opportunity to get involved in different types of engineering, if you had a flexible manager.

Cons

While teamwork is emphasized, I was not allowed to leave the office until the following day to complete work for a deadline. The field work I completed was usually very unpleasant: Standard Penetration Tests in contaminated areas. T

Advice to Management

Listen to the concerns brought up about hours, about salary, about career interests.