Langan Engineering and Environmental Services "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Aug 1, 2019

4.4
Langan Engineering and Environmental Services President & CEO David T. Gockel
David T. Gockel
Pros
  • "Company culture is putting employees' well-being first and I think that creates a very healthy work environment(in 24 reviews)

• "Really great work environment and great people(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance can suffer greatly with 50-hour(in 27 reviews)

• "Long hours and raises/promotions are not merit based(in 18 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Intern - Site/Civil Intern

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services for less than a year

Pros

Company culture is amazing - they want you to have a work-life balance. Lots of opportunities for professional and personal development (ex Lunch and Learns, where they even buy lunch for us sometimes! They also have a ton of training to help employees brush up on skills, like AutoCAD). The projects are really interesting and Langan has a portfolio of big projects which is exciting to be part of.

Cons

Even though there is a heavy emphasis on work-life balance, you are expected to work long hours sometimes. Even on a normal week most employees put about 45 hours in, and with deadlines pressing you can hit way higher numbers.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2019-08-02

"Senior Staff Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible workplace options, high-profile projects and many opportunities to learn if you seize them.

Cons

Little-to-no work life balance. You work above your level but are not properly compensated; there seems to be no fair or transparent system for compensating employees.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2019-07-13
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Good company for extroverts and single 20-somethings"

Former Employee - Environmental Engineer

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits Comp time & flexible schedule Fair pay Staff are generally friendly and inclusive Higher-up management is awesome.

Cons

Work life balance can suffer greatly with 50-hour+ weeks and on-call weekends the norm, not the exception, in certain positions. Misled about project role during interview Have witnessed a lot of scapegoating and general nitpicking over small things to the point staff leave. Can be overwhelming for introverts If you complain of burn-out, it is treated as a weakness and "noticed". If you want to turn down a role due to oher health or family obligations, you may slowly be phased into it regardless. Very corporate Some managers tear down their staff for small things and consistently berate them with direct or indirect, snide and condescending remarks and email (e.g. jokes about people's weight, religion, intellect or life choices). Push for health and safety, yet managers will fun people on consecutive 16-hr days and wonder why work quality suffers

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2019-02-23

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Response

February 28, 2019Vice President, Human Resources

We welcome and appreciate receiving reviews from our current and former employees and are pleased that you enjoyed our benefits program, flexible work schedules, and compensatory time while you were employed at Langan. We also appreciate your positive comments regarding upper management here at Langan. We realize there may be times when work is required outside of normal business hours due to project commitments. We try, however, to limit the number of overtime hours and to accommodate family obligations and other factors as they occur. Your statement regarding the alleged behavior of some managers is concerning and such behavior is inconsistent with our commitment to fostering a workplace where all employees are treated with respect. We will take steps to investigate your allegations and take appropriate action if necessary. Thank you for your review.

Continue reading

"Great company for entry level, but moving up isn't only a function of time at company"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Work on high-profile projects - Paid overtime - Good healthcare for singles - Passionate colleagues - Entrepreneurial (If you want to advance, it won't be handed to you. You need to show initiative and look for opportunities be more involved, i.e. joining local groups/clubs, networking, developing strong relationships while performing field work, create actionable plan with supervisor for advancement) - Staff level people are generally fun to work with

Cons

- I would like to see a higher 401k match, they only match up to 3%. - Company can be top heavy depending on office location (may be stuck as an inspector or staff level for some time) - No matter what you do in your office, sometimes there is no space to advance to project level due to too many managers and not enough work to justify a new project level position. This is 100% location specific, so be open to moving to different offices for new growth opportunities. You can make a place for yourself here. - Hours can be long and affect work/life balance, but this is part of the construction industry - Field work can become monotonous depending on the office location (if a certain type of work is their bread and butter, this is how it goes) - Pay is only on par with market if you are working overtime at the staff level (which is basically guaranteed). They offer lower starting salaries, but with overtime your salary should be on par with the market or higher. You are essentially paid as an hourly employee as your inspection work is billed hourly to the client.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2019-01-18

"First Month Review"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Miami, FL

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Top engineering firm with challenging project. * Nice offices with full benefits. * Offices nation wide in major cities with flexible transfer policy. *Great IT and technology.

Cons

* Long work hours * Lots of field work and overtime without upward mobility to project manager position quickly. * Less work life balance. * Little room for error. *Same pay if based in home office and required to relocate for a couple months.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2019-01-25

"Langan"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Scientist in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A good employee benefits package.

Cons

No work life balance. Long hours and raises/promotions are not merit based. Social events are only meant to keep you there longer. Everything is about the Langan “brand”.

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2018-11-03

"Staff Engineer II"

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services

Pros

Work Life Balance is amazing Work environment is very friendly

Cons

Work can be very repetitive In the office 99% of the time, might be a pro for some people

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2018-09-17
  9. "Geotech Internship"

Current Intern - Geotechnical Engineering Intern in Parsippany, NJ

Pros

Friendly Staff Gained a lot of Experience Supervisors maintain contact with lower level employees productive environment

Cons

May be too fast paced for some work-life balance not a big focus

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2018-08-01

"Poor"

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Employee and family benefits coverage, 401k matching Growing company in engineering industry Paid time off - vacation and sick time allotment

Cons

Poor compensation, everyone is low-balled and unfairly paid Awful work life balance No growth opportunities Poor management, set in their old ways

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2018-04-17

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Response

July 6, 2018Corporate Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for taking time to review Langan, we appreciate it. With our continued growth and success, we continue to review, enhance, and provide employees with competitive compensation and a comprehensive set of benefit offerings for personal, professional, and overall well-being. We value our high-performing culture which provides growth opportunities and challenging and exciting projects for our people while providing the type of excellence and responsiveness our clients expect and deserve.

Continue reading

"Fast pace, career will be stagnant at staff level"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer in Elmwood Park, NJ

Pros

some friendly people, learned a lot

Cons

micro managers, no work-life balance (work like a horse), tough supervisors, no career growth

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services2018-02-24