Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 10, 2021

4.3
Langan Engineering and Environmental Services President & CEO David T. Gockel
David T. Gockel
Pros
  • "Comfortable work environment with friendly employees who are very helpful with learning everything(in 26 reviews)

• "Really great work environment and great people(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work-life balance can be tough, high demands on time commitment(in 34 reviews)

• "Long hours, tough work-life balance(in 21 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Langan Engineering and Environmental Services and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good company"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Room for growth and great project managers

Cons

Work life balance is not great

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Response

November 18, 2020Corporate Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your review and for your recognition of Langan’s various professional growth opportunities. We are pleased to know that you are benefiting from collaborating with project managers who share in Langan’s commitment to technical excellence. As a professional services firm, we take pride in the responsiveness we provide to our clients. We realize, however, this at times may extend the work day. We have placed great importance on fostering a work environment that promotes employee wellbeing, and we encourage you to take advantage of Langan’s flexible work options, work from home arrangements, time off programs, and other wellness offerings. Thank you again for your feedback.

2. "Great company if you have a good team/manager"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Staff Engineer I in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company culture is great, people genuinely do love what they do and are willing to help you, many opportunities to learn and good benefits.

Cons

If you end up in a workaholic team, you won't have the best time working or getting close to your team mates. There is no work life balance. People working late past midnight and working up and early too often.

Continue reading

3. "A great place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Principal in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great projects, amazing mentoring, no boundaries to career growth, competitive salary and benefits, the company values its employees and is heavily invested in them. High performance culture conducive to career growth, but the company values work-life balance and offers flexibility in work hours.

Cons

High-performance culture - so, a con if one is not looking for a career and is interested in just skating by.

"Staff engineer 2"

Former Employee - Staff Engineer II in New York, NY

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Good projects, good managers, opportunity to learn

Cons

Long hours, tough work-life balance

Langan Engineering and Environmental Services Response

August 28, 2020Corporate Human Resource Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you have benefitted from the many employee training and development opportunities we provide. Our strong commitment to client satisfaction and responsiveness, coupled with our focus on transferring knowledge internally, are what contribute to making Langan one of the best firms in the industry. Our employees are passionate about the work they do and the project teams they support, and we aim to provide a culture where employees are offered opportunities and growth. We realize that this passion – coupled with the expectation of client responsiveness –can at times, result in a longer than usual workday. We value the importance of cultivating a work environment in which employees have the ability to take time for themselves, recharge, and bring their best selves to work. Our robust time off programs, in addition to work from home arrangements and flexible work options, are designed to provide opportunities for a healthy work-life balance. Thank you for your feedback, as it helps us to identify where we can enhance the employee experience.

5. "Good place to start, not to stay"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer II

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to learn the basics

Cons

Challenging work life balance, frequent forced social events

"Great early career experience, mixed long-term"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Warrington, PA

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great projects, varied work, good pay w/ overtime for staff, you will interact with very technical people in different disciplines, approachable managers, good growth, good IT department and other technical support, tuition reimbursement. A great place for early career experience, and there is a strong Seller-Doer culture that really rewards those who generate new business for managers and above who are adept at business development.

Cons

Work-life balance is very challenging. Very high utilization targets. Silo structure with poor cooperation and sometimes internal competition between senior managers. The strong Seller-Doer culture rewards the sellers far more than doers, and there is no technical career advancement track. If you don't sell, you plateau. The silos and seller focus also results in a general lack of corporate guidance, training, and administrative support surprising for a company of their size and caliber of projects. Early career staff are mostly insulated from these cons though.

Continue reading

"If You Want Your Job To Be Your Life, This Is The Place For You"

2.0
    Former Employee - Assistant Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are a very driven, career-oriented engineer who has no issue sacrificing your life for your employer, Langan is great. Langan is a good engineering company. Lots of very smart people. It's an extremely highly-competitive environment. You will learn a lot. But it comes at a very steep price if you are not willing to sacrifice your soul.

Cons

There is no such thing as work-life balance. Try as they may to sell it any other way. Ownership struggles to be human. Since every decision comes down to maximizing profits, everything is a competition. You'll be bumping heads with a lot of very greedy sharks.

Continue reading

"Fulfilling, but intense work"

Former Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunities to be your best, and contribute in a fast paced environment on some of the world's most interesting projects. People are valued

Cons

Work-life balance can be tough, high demands on time commitment.

Continue reading
  9. "Fantastic place to work"

Current Intern - Site/Civil Intern

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services for less than a year

Pros

Company culture is amazing - they want you to have a work-life balance. Lots of opportunities for professional and personal development (ex Lunch and Learns, where they even buy lunch for us sometimes! They also have a ton of training to help employees brush up on skills, like AutoCAD). The projects are really interesting and Langan has a portfolio of big projects which is exciting to be part of.

Cons

Even though there is a heavy emphasis on work-life balance, you are expected to work long hours sometimes. Even on a normal week most employees put about 45 hours in, and with deadlines pressing you can hit way higher numbers.

"Senior Staff Engineer"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Langan Engineering and Environmental Services full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible workplace options, high-profile projects and many opportunities to learn if you seize them.

Cons

Little-to-no work life balance. You work above your level but are not properly compensated; there seems to be no fair or transparent system for compensating employees.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 39 English Reviews