Langley Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Langley Federal Credit Union President/CEO Thomas Ryan
Thomas Ryan

1. "Needs-Based Sales Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Manager in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Langley Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our vision is to improve members' lives by helping them save, borrow, and spend wisely. We believe that how we do this is to tell our members about services that will meet their needs and improve their financial situation. Our credit union is thriving because our engaged employees are committed to providing excellent service on a daily basis. Langley wants to be the best place our employees will ever work. I'm proud to be part of that culture and I think we have a winning team.

Cons

We stay busy - we work hard - we have earned our success.

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

"Sr. Financial Service Representative"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Service Representative in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Service Representative in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Langley Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. The big employee functions are for appearance only so posts of how wonderful Langley is gets put up on FaceBook.

Cons

Ridiculous goals, apparently the Wells Fargo debacle did not have an impact on the risk of doing business like that there. No appreciation, only criticism. No respect for employees. If someone has been there for over 5 years, that person's on the chopping block. The CU only wants the dumb and young. I will be out ASAP.

Advice to Management

Get behind the desk and make your goals. Put up or shut up!

"Not for over achievers or people who know how to think on there own"

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Financial Service Representative in Newport News, VA

I worked at Langley Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful Banks. Great care for members, good products. Great employee events

Cons

Langley has the potential to be a great employer. If you have lengthy experience dont consider langley. If you are settled and comfortable and have achieved your career goals this place will be perfect for you. Langleys goals are very attainable although the employees complain about them all the time. The bank is full of clicks, if senior management likes you there is nothing you can ever do wrong and the glass ceiling is broken for you. If you bring outside ideas and advise they find a way to get rid of you or silence you by telling you that you are offensive. Langley has alot of big dreams but alot of small minds and ego trips coupled with power struggles. The leadership makes excuses for bad behavior and you can be promoted in 1 months to a manager if you make the right friends and impress the right people. No one has your back everyone looks out for there own jobs and everyone is scared to lose there jobs so no one owns up to anything they say. There is no organization and everyone knows everything that happens in the bank its like a soap opera. There is no such thing as a private conversation between you and your leaders. The training is DIY, and they have hunting parties against people they want out. I think I met 2 real people in the company. If you choose langley dont talk to anyone and just blend in with the wallpaper and you will do just fine. If you want to make a impact on where you work langley has things just the way they like it so dont bother. There are companies that value new ideas and different perspectives but langley is not that place they are only interested in stirring what's already in the pot so that everything comes out the same.

Advice to Management

Dont hire lions and then put them in a cage in the circus. Just because a person starts as a outsider it doesnt mean they want to tear down your throne, maybe they are just more accustomed to building kingdoms. Back the people you hire or dont hire them because it speaks to your ability to manage and coach when you send them out the door because they dance to a different beat that you can not understand or just dont want to. Be open to new ideas dont just have a open door policy then develop a bad mindset about someone who choses to be open with you because the truth makes you uncomfortable or you were not ready or had no desire to hear it or it was pertaining to a person you really liked so you shot the messenger instead of looking into the message even if other staff confirmed the information given was correct. Langley will only be as big as the diversity of your staff. Ensure your leaders can talk to you without fear of backlash or being ostracized.

"Good Atmosphere"

Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Yorktown, VA
    Former Employee - Financial Services Representative in Yorktown, VA

I worked at Langley Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

-Great Benefits
    -Success Sharing Check
    -Innovative
    -Many employee events to keep morale high

Cons

-no real cons, very few places compare
    - the weekend branch hours are a little ridiculous now

5. "About me"

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Newport News, VA

I have been working at Langley Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have good communication skills, planing and research skills, team work and interpersonal skills and good problem solving skills.

Cons

Taking on too much at a time

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Financial Service Representative in Clarksville, TN
    Former Employee - Financial Service Representative in Clarksville, TN

I worked at Langley Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee friendly environment, President is truly a great man, always looking to improve (and asking employees for advice on it). I would still be there if I didn't have to move!

Cons

A lot of changes means not a lot of time to adjust. Some people fell out of love with their job.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to all "departments" not just the back office. Frontline staff need appreciation too... as a whole, not the select individuals always getting noticed.

Nov 18, 2015 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your recommendation. Langley is an organization that cares about our employees. We value what they think and provide many ways for them to share their ideas.

"Proud of our credit union"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Pros

The financial performance of Langley FCU over the last three years reflects the dedication of our staff and management team to build a great financial institution that meets all the needs of our members. We have a team of over 460 employees who work diligently each day to fulfill our mission and vision. They are a great group of people and I am proud to be part of that team.

Cons

There are some current and former employees who would like everyone to think that Langley is something it is not. For those I would say move on....we don't want you to bring us down.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on our members and how we can better serve their needs.

Nov 18, 2015 – HR Generalist

Your feedback is appreciated. Langley constantly reviews our processes to ensure we stay focused on our members (internal and external). Our goal is to make it easy, make a difference, and do the ... More

"Proud to be apart of the Langley Team"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Newport News, VA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Newport News, VA

Pros

We have paid vacation, sick leave. We get our birthdays off with pay and all holidays. We also have a bonus incentive plan and plenty of other cool perks from management team.

Cons

I have no complaints. If you work hard you are rewarded; you write your own destiny in this organization. People who are not happy and wish to spread their negativity should just leave. We don't need it dragging us down. We have goals and things to accomplish; move on.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. Your efforts are noticed and you should all be proud of what we've all accomplished. The job shadowing you've all have been doing means so much to the staff; I believe they feel more appreciated than ever.

Nov 18, 2015 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your comments. Langley truly cares about their employees and their personal/professional development.

"Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Hampton, VA

Pros

Great benefits! Caring Management. Wonderful co-workers!

Cons

Langley and I have had a working relationship for about 13 years.I felt compelled to comment because of all the negative reviews. I still say, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything. If you are not with Langley, then it's probably for good reasons! Move on, grow from your experiences and stop bad mouthing Langley!

Sep 4, 2015 – HR Generalist

Thank you for the review! We are an organization that cares about how are employees feel. We believe every employee should be engaged, challenged, and enjoy their work.

"Welcome to the plantaion"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newport News, VA

Pros

Bonus, paid birthday off, relaxed dress code. Not much more to say

Cons

Im just going to piggy back off of the majority of the previous post on here and say that I would not recommend coming to work for Langley unless you have a free schedule to work extended hours and dont mind being a pushy sales person. Over the few yrs I have been working here, I have seen Langley transform from a more family oriented company that cares about the well being of staff, staffs families, and all of thier members to more of a sales driven "slave-ship" between Sr Managment and staff. There was a time when I enjoyed coming to work and giving it my all, but now i dread it every single day. Myself and other staff are becoming more and more stressed and burnt out. Its hard to move ahead and up with Langley now. We dont feel appreciated. And with all the added pressure of reaching goals, it makes it even more annoying. I am by far not a lazy worker and I know my worth and talents should not jus be limited to the front line. Its becomg very hard to keep a staright poker face through out the day. Its very frustrating. I dont like coming to work angry and upset, and dealing with rude memebers even more frequently recently jus makes it 10 times worse. I cant speak for everyone employed here but I kno as for me, I have given it my all but its never good enough. As soon as something else comes along i will be leaving. Working here makes me not even want to ever work in banking ever again. Im great at sales but i refuse to continue being stuck on this plantation of a job. Langley is not my life. I have a family and dreams.

Advice to Management

please start tp do more than just listen to staff, do something new. The majority isnt happy at all

Jul 28, 2015 – HR Generalist

Thank you for the advice. We are sorry to hear you are unhappy with your job at Langley. We care about what our employee think and value their feedback. Your advice will be shared with the ... More