Language International Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Admissions Intern"

Former Employee - Admissions Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Admissions Intern in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Very friendly environment. Learned a lot about the international language education industry, admissions process, customer services, etc.

Cons

Its Boston office is in MA, so lots of snow in winter :)

"Energetic startup company!"

Former Intern - Student Advisor in Cambridge, MA
    Former Intern - Student Advisor in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Language International as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee works in free and friendly working environment with lots of help from everyone but not lots of supervisor and stress. As an intern, I got very much trust from my boss, and that made me could focus on my work with more confidence and more responsibility.

This is a new company that willing to use all new and advanced computer technique. It is always good to have the chance to access the new technology and learn from it.

Cons

It is unpaid internship, that sometimes I feel less motivation from doing better work

"Great intern experience"

Former Intern - Project Management Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Intern - Project Management Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Language International as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I strongly recommend the internship experience at Language International. You'll get a ton of real responsibility -- no fluff or marginal work.

As an intern, I got to learn an amazing amount in a short period of time. The management team will entrust you with as much responsibility as they think you can handle, so you don't get stuck in a position that doesn't allow you to contribute to your full potential. They really help you learn and improve quickly.

The fact that there were a bunch of other cool interns was a plus, and the fact that the rest of the team was pretty cool made it nice socially.

Of course, it's also just cool to work for a start-up, especially one that seems to have so much potential.

Cons

It's not the right place for everybody. A project management internship at a start-up requires dedication; there's often a need to stay longer than most of the other interns to get things done. With that said, most internships seemed more laid-back than mine. Also, some internships are unpaid (as you'd expect with start-ups) but it's a fair deal: you get lots of value out of the experience, so as long as you're living with your parents still, it works.

Oct 3, 2014 – Hiring Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. I'm so glad you got a lot out of your internship experience! We work hard to make our internships valuable learning opportunities.

"good working conditions"

Former Employee - Student Adviser in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Student Adviser in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Language International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good, diverse team. Goals are straight forward.

Cons

It is reasonable when there are certain sales goals that must be met. The only thing is that management ought to use different strategies to encourage Student Advisers for that. Without intimidation.

Advice to Management

Less intimidation, more training that would boost drive to success.

Jun 9, 2014 – Hiring Manager

Thanks for taking the time write a review about us. I'm happy that you liked the team. I think our diverse, fun, international team is one of the coolest features of Language International! Also... More

"Great company Culture"

Current Intern - Finance and Accounting
    Current Intern - Finance and Accounting

I have been working at Language International as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- The CEO, CFO and co-workers are very nice.
    - Good place to work if you need experience, especially your supervisors always welcome your new ideas.
    - Free snacks every week and free international food every Thursday.
    - Flexible working schedule. You can work at home if you are sick.

Cons

- Could not think of any now. Of course, every company will have pros and cons, but my experience so far at Language International is good.

"A nice idea"

I worked at Language International full-time

Pros

Cheerful CEO and CFO. Staff is mostly in college or recent grads.

Cons

Management is often absent due to travel or otherwise. High turnover rate.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more. Reducing turnover rate would free up some of the considerable time that management spends on interviews.

"Not a good place to work!"

Pros

- Good location
    - Snacks are provided
    - Diverse team
    - Management is often absent (the company actually runs better when they are out of the office)

Cons

- Low compensation
    - Management is absent and overpaid
    - Boring tasks and no room for growth
    - It is not a fun place to work
    - Lots of unpaid interns to cut costs
    - High employee turnover

Advice to Management

- Consider paying a decent wage to your employees
    - Consider being more present and more sociable
    - Stop using unpaid labor to perform paid employee's tasks
    - Improve your hiring practices

Aug 15, 2014 – Hiring Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I was disappointed to hear that your experience at Language International was not very positive. I'm sorry to hear your compensation was... More

"Do not work here."

I worked at Language International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location near MIT.

Cons

Low salaries and high turnover rate. Poor benefits package as management relies on early twenty-somethings staying on their parents' insurance. Management is often out of the office or traveling, and when in the office does not engage with staff. All of this contributes to a very negative office culture where the discussion is always about when and how you're going to leave.

Advice to Management

Increase staff salaries instead of your own. Increase focus on employee training.

Jun 9, 2014 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We really value your feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't feel that you interacted enough with the management team because they traveled... More

"Wonderful job in the heart of Berlin"

Former Employee - Finance Manager in Berlin (Germany)
    Former Employee - Finance Manager in Berlin (Germany)

Pros

The CEO and CFO are not only charming but amazing, both from a professional and even more from a personal point of view. I can only be grateful to Karen and Michael for constantly helping me to improve my skills and being always so nice and motivating.

If you are passionate about languages and multiculturalism, as well as working in startups to build and refine processes from scratch while improving your skills, or even you have an interest on marketing online, this is definitely your place.

Fantastic office in the heart of Berlin with free snacks and fruit.

Salary was more than decent for a living in Berlin, not to mention the free BVG monthly pass after my probation period was a very appreciated extra.

Flexible schedule which made my life a lot easier, I will also miss that one a lot!

Cons

The company's activity is based in a tough, raw and dynamic market that takes business managing and operations to another level. This is certainly challenging and one must be willing to work hard and improve the workflow with fresh ideas, as well as constantly relearn new ways to successfully complete one's tasks (exciting and interesting if you are a hands-on and creative individual).

Advice to Management

The lessons I take from Language International are life-changing and will always remain in my memories, I want to thank Michael and Karen for that and wish them the best for the future.