Language Studies International Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 23, 2017

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "An excellent experience"

Former Employee - Social Media Coordinator in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Social Media Coordinator in New York, NY

Pros

The office I worked in had some of the most kind, down to earth people I had ever worked with who never put any pressure on me or made me feel out of place. I got to meet people from all over the world and share in their experiences

Cons

Working with people from around the world can make communication difficult but that was one of the challenges of the job

"Teacher"

Former Employee - Teacher in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Teacher in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Language Studies International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1.The regular group of teachers are wonderful, genuinely kind people.
    2.The constant flow of people from all over the world is very stimulating.
    3. Helping students learn and achieve their goals is very gratifying.

Cons

Prep time is not paid, which means teachers either follow exactly what is in the book, (which is extremely boring) or they must devote their time "off the clock" to making their classes more engaging for the students.

The system for contracting subs is very poorly managed. Feedback from teachers is not heeded.

There is a distinct melancholic heaviness to this place, and likely has a lot to do with teachers not feeling valued.

Advice to Management

1. Paying teachers for prep time would dramatically affect the quality of classes. When teachers can spend more time supplementing the curriculum with material that is interesting and relevant to students, classes will become more dynamic-- and both teachers and students will have a more satisfying experience.

2. Move to a new building with WINDOWS in ALL classrooms. Natural sunlight has a significant impact on atmosphere and mood/energy levels.

3. Get more input from teachers on books used for basic curriculum.

"ESL Teacher"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at Language Studies International (More than a year)

Pros

Awful business practices, high turnover, inept management, inconsistent feedback/policies/procedures across different sites, failure to recognize achievement.

Cons

all recruiters are in one room in cubicles in London and some of the practices are unethical.

Advice to Management

Completely change the company culture and business practices. Being dishonest with students and taking advantage of hard-working employees is why this company is so depressing.

4. "Nice place to work."

Former Employee - ESL Instructor in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - ESL Instructor in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Language Studies International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They provide text books and the curricula so planning is minimal. Great students from around the world. The managers were very allow the teachers a lot of freedom and this is a definite plus. There was a feeling of mutual trust and respect between teachers and management. Plenty of social outings and the management understood the value of field trips for students.

Cons

Salary could be better. Provide more teaching tools such as iPads/projectors. Computers should be updated.

Advice to Management

Provide funds for professional development and give company sponsored bonuses. When I worked there, our director gave us bonuses out of her own account.

5. "Great family environment"

Pros

Very supportive administration. They are open and receptive to new ideas and help with any problems. They are very relaxed which makes for a very welcoming, comfortable work atmosphere.

Cons

Like most schools, they don't pay much for prep time. I would like to see the HR people try to prep for a week's worth of classes in the amount of time that they deign to pay for.

Advice to Management

Pay for the prep time that teachers are already doing for free.

"ESL Teacher"

I have been working at Language Studies International part-time

Pros

Laid-back atmosphere, friendly staff/teachers, generally pleasant and motivated students who attend.

Cons

Pay is not so great, management is disorganized and provides very little to support you with classes. If you're independent and have experience in the field you'll be fine jumping into a class, but for newer teachers, they do little to train or support you with curriculum development.

Advice to Management

Offer more training and support to newer teachers!

7. "Anybody can get ahead"

I worked at Language Studies International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working for Language Studies International it became apparent that the person least-expected can rise to the level of marketing manager or school director without necessarily having the training, skills or knowledge often required for the same roles in other companies. This can be a pro for some people.

Cons

Being more of a family company, it can feel as though 'it's how it's always been' approaches limit the dynamism of this company in the fast-changing international education market.

8. "Very positive overall, although slightly limiting by the end. (That might just be me, of course.)"

Former Employee - School Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - School Director in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Language Studies International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, a real feeling of being part of a family. Happy students, good business relationships. Good locations.

Cons

Old habits die hard. It feels like not much has changed for us, and some competitors have taken advantage of that.

Advice to Management

Plan for the next stage. 3, 5, 10 years from now...?

9. "Fair"

Pros

Flexibility, stability, good working culture

Cons

No fair promotions, no professional development, no good salary package

Advice to Management

more training for employees, the possibility of progression, fair salaries after years in the company, provide clear job descriptions for all positions