LanguageLine Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein
Scott W. Klein

Pros
  • Work from home as a FT/PT with set hrs, or contractor who determines your own hours (in 194 reviews)

• Work at home - no need to commute during bad weather (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits, such as sick/vacation days or holiday pay (in 48 reviews)

• Low pay compare to other companies in the industry (in 40 reviews)

"Nice to work from home, but the amount of calls we have to handle is exhausting"

Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-work from home
    -no need to commute
    -easy to ask for days off
    -easy to get help from helpdesk

Cons

-call after call after call for 8 hrs a day
    -exhausting and hard to concentrate after you've been on the phone for so many hours
    -too few interpreters trying to handle hundreds of calls

Advice to Management

Hire more people, and the quality of our work will go up. We are exhausted and after 6 hrs on the phone it is hard to concentrate, so quality goes down.
    We have to concentrate hard to interpret, and an extra interpreter or 2 in our team would be very helpful for the team. We would be able to handle calls better!

2. "Spanish Interpreter"

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time

Pros

Remote work and company provided equipment after a few months

Cons

Pay is not the best

Advice to Management

Better benefits and higher salaries

"Do Not Recommend This Company, Stay Away If You Have Other Options"

Current Employee - Phone Interpreter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Phone Interpreter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at home, no commute, save of gas/car costs. System easy to use. Helping bridge language gap is rewarding.

Cons

Mismanagement and poor treatment of hard-working interpreter, no raises, low pay+paycuts, no respect for seniority, little opportunity for advancement.
    My salary with this company has been exactly the same for over 11 years. I was hoping that they would think about at least a small raise for experienced interpreters with good performance. What do they do? I get a notice that my salary will now be downgraded to $11/hour. That's about half of what it was! Take it or leave it. So I am leaving, and I am feeling totally disgusted with this company! I am not the only one, they are doing it across the board in many different states, with many other interpreters, a good number of whom are experienced and well-qualified, with excellent performance rates. And it's not like the company is struggling, they are doing very well financially. It's just all they think about is profit. If they can replace you with someone who is cheaper for them, they will do it just like that. It will probably work temporarily, but on the long run, the quality of services will go down and they will start losing their clients. In addition to increasing the costs of hiring and training new employees. Very short-sighted policy! Shame on you LLS for treating your veteran interpreters in such a way!

Advice to Management

Please re-think your business and management strategies. A lot of your employees are very unhappy, and you seem to be doing nothing to improve it. In fact, you are doing the opposite.

"CEO & VP still did not understand that this business is made by the INTERPRETERS"

Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NONE WHATSOEVER, the benefits that attracted the applicants in the first place were the taken away.

Cons

VP recently posted the following on the web page:
    QUOTE "The success of our business depends on meeting our clients’ needs and we do so in many ways, most significantly, by delivering exceptional customer service and by managing our resources effectively" UNQUOTE
    And goes on talking about "Routing of calls lowering Interpreters status and fresh supply of Interpreters ????
    He is correct about the client's needs come first, but he completely forgot to mention that the delivery means of this super customer service is the INTERPRETER furthermore but a HAPPY INTERPRETER..
    On the contrary LLs keeps on strangling the INTERPRETER taking away benefits and adding restrictions for further strangling the Interpreter.
    They did not understand that a HAPPYINTERPRETER will deliver "Quality Customer service for the benefit of both Client and LLs with less turnover.

Advice to Management

Listen to the INTERPRETER keep him/her comfortable and happy on the job and fairly compensated, so the interpreter does not have continually look for jobs with other companies, and results will come without much effort

"The worst CEO who turned a wonderful company into a total disgrace"

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time

Pros

Don't see them any more.

Cons

The CEO of LLS turned everything upside down in the company. The company lost its honor and respect after this CEO - Klein came to the power. Prior to him, the interpreters were dealt with respect. We used to get gifts every Christmas. With this CEO,we forgot about the gifts.Slowly, but surely we faced rapidly growing disrespect towards us-interpreters from the management. Last year became the worst - our salaries got slashed. I know personally interpreters who got demoted from All-Calls interpreter to Medical Interpreter without any grounds. One interpreter has more advanced degree than any management in LLS, but serves only medical calls instead of All-Calls level the interpreter should be on. The pay also got dramatically reduced. It used to be $0.35/minute,now it is $0.22/minute. The company policy went down to drain. Therefore all the interpreters rushed towards the exit - nobody wants to stay in a trash hole. I only pray that current CEO and the rest of the bloodsuckers will be fired and a new management - a better one will come.

Advice to Management

It is time for the shake up. God will punish you severely for all the injustice you have been doing to the interpreters of LLS.

"LLS abuses and does not respect its interpreter workforce"

Current Employee - At Home Interpreter in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - At Home Interpreter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time

Pros

Work from home, save on gas, no commute, no need for formal clothing, also 401K plan.

Cons

LLS has been paying me exactly the same 35 cent per min. rate for many years. No incentives, no raise of any kind, high demands, very high call volume. They cover only half the cost of the phone line, I pay the other half out of pocket - every year it goes up, but their compensation does not increase. No benefits, such as sick/vacation days or holiday pay. I get stuck working all holidays, with no additional pay whatsoever. In fact, on Holidays it's only minimum wage, which is what you get when call volume is low. So instead of celebrating with my family and friends, I am stuck at home, getting minimum wage of $7.25 for sitting near the phone. You only get 80 hours of unpaid time-off per year, and you have to request those hours well in advance, otherwise you might get in trouble. I feel that the company does not value its interpreters, not even loyal ones who were with them for many years. In addition, I fear that it may be getting worse. People have been getting significant pay-cuts by being forced onto flat rate pay, rather then per minute. I am planning on looking for other options. I am sure many qualified, experienced interpreters might do the same. So I would not expect high quality service from this company, as may of the interpreters are underpaid and overworked, may lack experience and expertise, and are treated as machines or robots, rather than human beings.

Advice to Management

Improve working conditions, show respect for interpreters' hard work, at some point abusing your workforce will turn against you.

"Can it get any worse?"

Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home and 401K with a company match. That's it.

Cons

Where do I begin?..

1. The company treats interpreters as replaceable robots. You don't feel yourself as part of the company. You are more like a cheap labor that was hired for pennies and that is supposed to do the hard work so that the management can reap off millions of $. You get only two 15 minute breaks and one 30 minute lunch time. Other than that you are interpreting on a phone non-stop for 8 hours, and don't even have time for a bathroom break.

2. Pay is obnoxious. It's literally almost minimum wage. They entice you first by saying that they pay extra per minute after 30 minutes of interpretation in an hour, however soon after you are hired, they change your pay to a flat rate almost minimum wage ($2 difference). And this is for the job that most of their top management, I am sure, won't be able to do, since consecutive interpretation requires both fluency in two languages, skills AND talent. Not every person who speaks two languages can do consecutive interpretation. Not to mention, that not every person speaks two languages fluently. But the company doesn't care. They think that consecutive interpretation requires same skills and knowledge as flipping burgers in McDonalds.

3. Absolutely no raises, even if you work for them for 15 years, and absolutely no career opportunities. Working for this company, you will stay at the same position with the same minimum wage forever.

4. There is no paid time off or vacation. And in spite of the fact that they pay pennies, taking that unpaid time off is PITA and almost impossible. They have set number of hours per day that can be taken as time off shared by all the interpreters of a certain language. And of course it gets taken pretty fast by somebody, and you are left with nothing. Besides, the number of hours you can take per year is also ridiculously low. As if they are paying for that. While they are not!

5. No paid medical leave either.

6. To prove that you are just a replaceable number, the company doesn't even give you a "normal" email with your name in it. You get an email with your language and ID number. That's it - you are just a number to this company. They don't care.

7. The company does everything to pay you less than you actually worked. Disputes with payroll take literally months and often resolve not in your favor.

8. Though company pays you pennies, you are supposed to pay for your phone line out of your pocket. And they do not allow you to use this phone number for anything else. Ridiculous, right?

I could go on and on...

Advice to Management

What advice can I give? None. Because I am sure that management knows perfectly well all the cons I described, and those cons are part of their business strategy, otherwise they would have been resolved long time ago. They bet on something else (maybe sales?), and interpreters (people who actually do the job) are just low wage slaves that can be easily replaced. Good luck with this strategy. I work at your company and don't care about it at all. And I am sure most of the interpreters feel same way. I have absolutely no desire to stay in your company and once I find an opportunity that pays even a $1 more per hour, I'll leave with no regrets. If that's the culture you want to have at your company and feelings you want your interpreters to have, good luck. Though I am sure, you don't even consider interpreters part of the company, so I guess whatever we think or feel doesn't matter to you anyways.

"interpreter"

Current Employee - Interpreter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Interpreter in New York, NY

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work at home. No commute.

Cons

Bad management. No technical support. Too many payroll errors that take months to correct. Employees are treated like slaves.

Advice to Management

Litsen to your interpreters. You may learn something.

"interpreter"

Pros

opportunity to work from home

Cons

there is no room for advancement

"Read reviews carefully before deciding to work here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only good thing about this is that you get to work from home, so if you are a mother or have pets like me, it would be easier to be around them in the comfort of your home

Cons

If someone told you that they will give you PTO after 90 days, that is false. only those who are on fixed salary get that. Also you don't get a say in whether you want to work a holiday day or not. I have to work every minute to try and pay my bills and they will randomly select you when they are over staffed to have a holiday off ( WITH NO PAY!!) so of course your pay check comes bad :(. On top of that recently they sent us all an email saying you are here by to switch to video calls soon, the best part of this is that in the end of the email, it says this is mandatory to keep your job. Guess what? no pay raise is associated with that either. All in all, unless you have a second source of income that is great, you wont be able to make living off of this job!.

Advice to Management

Take Care of your employees so they can stay with you. It is sad to see that we are just mere pawns that can be replaced at any moment !