LanguageLine Solutions All-call Interpreter Reviews | Glassdoor

1.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein
Scott W. Klein

Pros
  • Work from home as a FT/PT with set hrs, or contractor who determines your own hours (in 210 reviews)

• Work at home - no need to commute during bad weather (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits for part time employees (in 49 reviews)

• Low pay compare to other companies in the industry (in 47 reviews)

"Interpreter"

Former Employee - All Caĺl Spanish/English Interpreter in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - All Caĺl Spanish/English Interpreter in Atlanta, GA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to work from home. Good hours.

Cons

Not much interaction with the company. IT support not very available, pay not so great.

"Horrible, sweat shop"

Current Contractor - All-call Interpreter in Portland, OR
    Current Contractor - All-call Interpreter in Portland, OR

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work from home set your own hours, do not have to look at them in the face. Can time time off when wanted as a contractor, as an employee you better pray for a miracle to get what you want off.

Cons

No benefits, no sick days, no paid vacations, they ask the impossible from the interpreters, high performance and absolute perfection but they do not compensate well, instead they keep on reducing the pay. Stay away from them, they do not deserve your dedication, professionalism and hard work. Turn over is high because they exploit people. If you have any pride do not work for them you will dearly regret it!! I am looking for an alternative I have reached the end!

Advice to Management

You are a bunch of scum bags... hope karma will bite you back! You treat the interpreters like dirt.

"worst company to work with"

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in New York, NY

Pros

None, good for nothing, stay away as much as possible

Cons

upgraded to video interpreter( wages same) and also have to work on national holidays even on labour day. Minimum wages with back to back calls like slaves, no value of interpreters while management takes all perks with paid vacations .

Advice to Management

Teleperfomence should fire all Language line management and replace with quality people who cares about their bread butter employees, it is the interpreters who make money for them and we are treated like slaves

"Okay if you are a new in the business and have no experience"

Former Employee - All-call Interpreter in East Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - All-call Interpreter in East Los Angeles, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions (More than 5 years)

Pros

Certification from your State is not required. Online glossaries

Cons

This is a Company completely insensitive to their Interpreters No raises of income, EVER!. No Benefits. No fair wages. No paid vacations.No extra paid on Holidays and yes, most of the times you have to work.Very impersonal relationship with Management. There are no events to meet other coworkers or the rest of the Company staff for any reason. As a fact, they don't even send you a Happy Holiday Card or bonus at the end of the year or recognize your years of service . Issues with calls or schedule or technical need to be reported using the Interpreter Portal and most of the responses are automated responses that do not address at all the issue being asked. Overtime request are not responded until 2 hours before the time the shift requested starts, leaving no time to plan your day . Most of the requests are denied anyways.Managers do not communicate with Interpreters and observations are less and less frequent.The have job openings overseas instead US to pay less to their Interpreters . Meantime, there are no openings within US for the same positions

Advice to Management

Be in touch with your Interpreters. Fight for Performance bonuses for them. Fight for raises for the outstanding Interpreters

"employees or paid slaves?"

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

Pros

working from home saves commute time

Cons

No benefits!!!! No sick days! They somehow got away with not providing employees with health insurance despite the health reform law. You work your butt off like a sweatshop and get paid almost minimum wage. The communication is absolutely terrible! They have no consideration for anything, let alone their employees. No employee is treated like a human being. They have this thing called the GM plan which seems like it was created by lucifer himself. I could go on till tomorrow ranting about this company. STAY AWAY!

Advice to Management

Realise that after the emancipation proclamation in 1863 you can no longer have slaves of any kind... Because that's how you treat your employees.

"all call interpreter"

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

Pros

work from home, no commute, no office politics etc

Cons

low wage, low support, system is very precarious, no benefits

Advice to Management

give raises. learn to value your employees

"5 cents, 10 years"

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, interesting clients, I feel as though I'm helping my immigrant community

Cons

You are paid only per minute of active interpreting on the phone. No calls? no pay.

Advice to Management

give your employees a fair base salary for sitting by the phone all day and waiting for it to ring.

"Just bad and getting worst!"

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home. no uniform no coworkers

Cons

If you are an employee ,you get minimum pay (per your state) its next to impossible to change your schedule (although at first they insist that that is something that could be easily done about once at least a year which is absolutely no the case) even temp schedule changes are very hard to get approved.

If you get hired, get ready to work in the dark! Interpreters are never notified of any changes or expectations and you usually hear about these supposed "rules" or whatnot WHEN you are in trouble for not following them.

Also, everything gets blamed on interpreter.Angry clients, long waits. Bad connection.Calls dropping, calls not coming in. Lines not working, system not working, you name it, it is on us.

Sure you save money on gas/car maintenance and clothes, but you don't make enough for those "savings" to be seen. Plus you need to supply your own needs as an interpreter (paper and boy will you need paper!,pens/markers for board etc)

Another thing that really really upsets me is that the system just got changed and now we have more responsibilities and they claim they cannot afford an increase .I know it takes money to do a change like this magnitude, but they did not do it because they will lose money right? that's not even what upsets me, we were told we will not need computers to work the new system, but the new system is so bad that it literally logs you off on every other call making it impossible to really get those minutes in. You constantly need to be looking at a screen to make sure you are still there and available to them. We also have many issues with the new system and to report them we need access to the internet and a computer/device which they said we didn't so they wont have to reimburse the cost
    (we get 11 every pay check to "reimburse" us for the phone line)

Some employees on other countries got transferred to another system and they did get a computer and phone and all the necessary equipment to be able to work appropriately, which just adds insult to injury.

Advice to Management

Don't be so cheap and unfair with US the employees, because we make LLS!

"They Pay Minimum Wage in USA"

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in San Diego, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home - but so are many other interpreter agencies/companies

Cons

I have been with the company for 2 years. I have the highest level (all calls interpreter). The company routes the calls in such way, that you get only a few calls a day, which equals a "guaranteed pay" for non-hourly employees... I have been making less money than if I work in McDonalds. And I have to interpret complex medical calls, court proceedings and stressful calls of all kinds. It is truly pathetic and unacceptable. I read some good comments about the company - trust me, you will be disappointed. The company has a intranet where interpreters make comments like on facebook - it is nothing but rage and disappointments. All Languages, All types of interpreters. Please beware. It is supposed to be #1 company - it is a slave factory. Class A Lawsuit is coming their way no doubt.

Advice to Management

Greed shall destroy you.

"Stay away if you can"

Former Employee - Non-spanish All-call Interpreter in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Non-spanish All-call Interpreter in Atlanta, GA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Can work on your own time (if you are a contractor)
    - Minimal travel: work from home
    - Some training provided
    - You get a job: better than nothing.

Cons

- You are stuck at home: basically there was no holiday or vacation offered by the company. First day of orientation, I was told the company works 24/7. Hence, if you are scheduled to work on holidays, you can change your preference but it is not guaranteed that you won't work on holidays.
    - No vacation paid, if you would like to take the time off, you have to plan ahead and use up your UTO (unpaid time off), which is very limited. You get 3 days off after 3 months and 10 days off after 6 months.
    - Minimal health benefits to satisfy the Obama mandate. Even if you are an employee, the "health benefit" was offered without any employer subsidize.
    - Lack of true support from management: there was not a direct employer to oversee any problem arises with employees. If there is any problem, the employee would have to contact to the respective department that handle the problem
    - Rigid schedule: while an employee has the theoretical rights of changing schedule (approval is continent and is based on business needs). No one knows what the "business needs" are and there is not a possibility to negotiate for a different schedule if you are stuck on some commitments. Three times I attempted to ask for a schedule change, three times I was rejected and told that at this moment, we appreciate your valuable coverage as it is.
    - Vague commitment to serve and explain from management
    - Vague payroll structure and I had no idea how they pay us or if all the minutes were added up correctly.

Advice to Management

Please work as interpreter before becoming management. It is sucked being tricked and cheated.