LanguageLine Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
LanguageLine Solutions President & CEO Scott W. Klein
Scott W. Klein

Pros
  • Work from home as a FT/PT with set hrs, or contractor who determines your own hours (in 213 reviews)

• Work at home - no need to commute during bad weather (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits for part time employees (in 50 reviews)

• Low pay compare to other companies in the industry (in 49 reviews)

1. "interpreter"

Current Employee - Medical Interpreter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Medical Interpreter in New York, NY

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent but I heard otherwise. Hopefully it will stay this way. I like the fact that I am able to work from home.

Cons

I heard eventually everyone will switch to a new system and start doing video interpreting, which I may not enjoy. My major complaint is that some of the calls have very bad connection which makes it hard for me to hear and interpret.

Advice to Management

During the hiring process, everyone was very cordial and attentive, but afterwards management is less attentive after getting on board.

2. "Worst company I ever worked for"

Current Employee - Medical Interpreter in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Interpreter in San Jose, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Work from home
    2. 401K with matching contribution.

Cons

1. Bad corporate culture (you don't feel yourself as part of the company)
    2. Low pay
    3. Absolutely no raises, even if you work for them for 15 years, and absolutely no career opportunities.
    4. No paid time off or vacation.
    5. Very hard to take unpaid vacation, as the number of hours is limited and taken by others quickly.
    6. Very short breaks and short lunch.
    7. No bathroom time during work.
    8. No paid medical leave.
    9. Constant "mistakes" by payroll resulting in lower paychecks than actual hours worked.
    10. Resolving paycheck issues takes months.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, offer better benefits, pay salaries adequate to employees' skills.

3. "Worked from home and on site"

Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter Over the Phone in Heredia (Costa Rica)
    Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter Over the Phone in Heredia (Costa Rica)

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

Pros

Work from home.
    Flexible / understanding with employees.
    Bonuses.

Cons

On site environment and maintenance was awful.

5. "It' a place to start with"

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours and okay pay.

Cons

Really busy and they always add additional works on you

"Worst job ever"

Former Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter in Monterey, CA

Pros

I'd like to think there was something positive about my time with language line but I would be lying. Unemployment might actually be a better prospect.

Cons

Everything. The clients being used to cutrate overseas interpreters are often rude and short with you. The staff is terrible towards the interpreters because of either fear of losing their jobs or because of being overworked, underpaid and being under the ever watchful eyes of the creeps in middle to upper management. The pay, even if you're literally working full-time will not be enough to even live modestly unless you have another stream of income. The ever looming culture of fear that management is always willing to cut your hours or fire you for minor offenses like TAKING TIME OFF, even if it's health related. This was the WORST JOB I EVER HAD and that's saying a lot considering I worked as a dog groomer and a pizza delivery driver as a kid. I would honestly rather smell like wet dog/canine anal-gland or get a gun shoved in my face than EVER work for these soul robbing slave drivers. This is literally the worst legitimate job out there. My only advice is to avoid this company at all costs. The only reason i got involved with them was that the company I worked for before was absorbed by LLS.

Advice to Management

There is no giving of advice to management. Management doesn't care if you're epileptic, had a seizure and go to the hospital because even if you fax over a doctors note they will still count that as sn unexcused absence. Management doesn't distinguish good accurate work from someone in the US to the mostly subpar work of one of their slaves in the Dominican Republic or elsewhere. If have something say to management its that they should find work with an ethical company before being named in a lawsuit someone will eventually bring AND WIN towards these slave drivers. But alas my words will more than likely go unheaded because let's face it, if you climbed the ranks in an organization like LLS then your soul is dead and any semblance of human decency would have been extinguished by then.

"interpreter"

Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Interpreter/Translator in Raleigh, NC

Pros

HOME BASED BUT NOTHING ELSE REALLY... I WOULD STRUGGLE TO FIND MORE PROS

Cons

POOR COMMUNICATION. I worked FULL TIME MORE than 3 years. The company doesn't care about their workers. All decisions are made based on single person. You are stuck with your schedule for the whole year before you can change it. The system is a mess and IHD and Management do not communicate with each other or the employees The only time you get contacted if they want to say something bad to you. Otherwise it is like talking to the walls. LOW PAY, UGLY MEDICAL BENEFITS. WOULDNT WANT TO COME BACK HERE AT ALL.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES

"American Sign Language Interpreter"

Current Employee - American Sign Language Interpreter in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - American Sign Language Interpreter in Monterey, CA

Pros

Had to give it one star but didn't want to give it any stars. The ONLY pro is being able to wear my slippers and not having the expense of transportation.

Cons

Where do I start? DON'T WORK HERE.. NO COMMUNICATION at this company at all. The upper management doesn't CARE about employees. The TOTAL opposite of what they say on their website. Use the words "continuous improvement" but only when they talk about how they won't pay you when THEIR system kicks you off. Never use those words when talking about making things better for employees. They have NO IDEA what they are doing when it comes to VIDEO REMOTE interpreting. DO NOT WORK HERE!!

Advice to Management

LISTEN to people (employees) that know MORE than you do about the business than you do. If you don't the UNION will be coming to your business sooner than you think!!

9. "work at home interpreter can feel isolated and like their future is not secure."

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

Pros

medical, vacation, getting paid on time never an issue, occasionally genuinely interesting calls

Cons

isolation of remote jobs vs. "customer is always right" mentality = a lot of pointless situations can be colored in such a way that is detrimental to the interpreter's overall performance. Yes, companies that hire interpreter services can lie. Those e-mails that were leaked to the company e-mails slandering the company and calling for the creation of a union and how the company handled it, not very professional and made the employees very uncertain regarding their future. Professional growth from this job could go either way.

Advice to Management

sympathize with employees that are not from the mainstream culture more. do better. the companies that request for services to be rendered can be condescending to interpreters and many of the complaints issued are hardly ever specific enough to warrant consequences for the interpreter. Clients can make stuff up.

"they will fire you without two week notice, no warnings"

Former Employee - Interpreter
    Former Employee - Interpreter

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I really loved my job untill 2014 when they stopped paying bonus.

Cons

company gives no bonus, no raise, no appreciation, you will never know if you did good work.

Advice to Management

give value to your employees, improve your dismissal system .

"interpreter"

Current Employee - Interpreter in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

home based. I cannot thing of anything else

Cons

Managers do not care about the employees. Poor communication and no recognition for hard working interpreters.

Advice to Management

Time to replace all top management.