LanguageLine Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

LanguageLine Solutions Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work from home as a FT/PT with set hrs, or contractor who determines your own hours (in 210 reviews)

• Work at home - no need to commute during bad weather (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits for part time employees (in 49 reviews)

• Low pay compare to other companies in the industry (in 47 reviews)

1. "Review"

Former Employee - Interpreter in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Interpreter in El Paso, TX

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As everything it is an opportunity to learn.

Cons

There really isn't much room for advancement, it is overly clear that it who you know. Pay-rate is not up to industry standards, they offer you opportunities for new positions i.e becoming a video interpreter; job that requires more knowledge and work, but not a pay raise.

"Somehow, Still In Business"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's a taco truck that rolls up to the parking lot at lunchtime every day.

Cons

The management is genuinely incompetent. Decisions are made seemingly at random with no real employee input or time to adjust. Being an interpreter must be awful, because we treat them like garbage. I was corporate, not an interpreter, and I still felt bad for the ints. The pay is god-awful. Nobody enjoys their job.

"..."

Current Employee - Interpreter in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Interpreter in New York, NY

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home. I really don't have anything else to add here, despite the 20 word minimum requirement.

Cons

The pay is so low that it's a disgrace,
    no holidays, no paid vacations,
    back-to-back calls for scheduled employees leading to professional burn outs.

Advice to Management

This field needs qualified individuals, but no professionals with any self respect should agree to these rates.

"Perfect Job for Retirees"

Current Employee - Medical Specialized Interpreter in Arcadia, CA
    Current Employee - Medical Specialized Interpreter in Arcadia, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

1. Work at home.
    2. Have the freedom to select the days of the week and the hours of the day as my working schedule.
    3. Great job satisfaction as appreciation from clients often becomes the most pleasant reward, and that happens in over 80% of the calls.
    4. Being a Medical Specialized Interpreter, the knowledge captured through work has been exciting challenges and most important has helped to improve my own health conditions.
    5. Able to earn a reasonable amount of pocket money as a retiree, because I only work two days of the week.

Cons

I guess this issue could happen in all industries where most staffs who are not working in a centralized office setting, communication with the management and between co-workers can often be a major concern.

Advice to Management

There are many available approaches for internal communication improvements, but I suggest that the initial and immediate step would be compilation of a staff Handbook with periodical updates.

"Working for Languageline."

Current Employee - Interpreter in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in San Jose, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Only good thing is to be able to work from home.

Cons

Sweat shop, low pay, no training, no advancement, no opportunities. Terrible management only interested in company profit and ignoring employee benefits or cutting to minimum. Stay away.

Advice to Management

Raise the hourly pay, offer training, offer better benefits, treat employees as real human beings, not expendable slaves.

7. "Spanish Interpreter"

Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Nogales, AZ
    Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter in Nogales, AZ

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are looking to work extra hours, over time is available most of the time, with some exemptions, overall a good place to work

Cons

There is no opportunity to grow, vacation days are available but not paid, worst health insurance ever, expensive with little coverage

8. "Italian Interpreter"

Former Employee - Interpreter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Interpreter in Chicago, IL

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility, work-at-home, plenty of learning opportunities from interpreting for a wide variety of industries

Cons

Can be stressful, poor compensation

"Respect and integrity of the Interpreters (human beings) in violation."

Current Employee - Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being an Interpreter is a very rewarding and interesting calling.
    Pros: diversity, interacting with some amazing and kind people and helping them resulting in huge job satisfaction! It provides a vast experience in about all "areas" of human life; furthermore, it gives an opportunity to interact with anybody and everybody we could possible interact in our lifetime.

Cons

Sadly, the company "internal mission statement" in regards to the employees seems to sound more like : "CONTROL BY FEAR". The most predominant words in addressing the employees are "NOT NEGOTIABLE", "MENDATORY",

Advice to Management

Dear Colleagues, have you ever thought what would happen if one day all of your Interpreters disconnect their phones and computers? It's not fictional as it may sounds .... every abuse has it's end. Let's hope that you figure out with your calculators how much is going to cost you if it's for 1 hour, 1 day ore longer...? Will you please balance your assets and liabilities accordingly...at the end (as all the accountants know)...the Balance Sheet needs to balance!

"Interpreter"

Current Employee - Interpreter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Home-based. No gas expenses. Can wear anything.

Cons

Delayed paycheck for 7-9 days, signed for direct deposit but they said you did not signed! Liar!!! Reimbursement for telephone bill----NONE!!! Liar!!!, Misinformation---- always!!! No assistance at all!!!

"CEO & VP still did not understand that this business is made by the INTERPRETERS"

Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

NONE WHATSOEVER, the benefits that attracted the applicants in the first place were the taken away.

Cons

VP recently posted the following on the web page:
    QUOTE "The success of our business depends on meeting our clients’ needs and we do so in many ways, most significantly, by delivering exceptional customer service and by managing our resources effectively" UNQUOTE
    And goes on talking about "Routing of calls lowering Interpreters status and fresh supply of Interpreters ????
    He is correct about the client's needs come first, but he completely forgot to mention that the delivery means of this super customer service is the INTERPRETER furthermore but a HAPPY INTERPRETER..
    On the contrary LLs keeps on strangling the INTERPRETER taking away benefits and adding restrictions for further strangling the Interpreter.
    They did not understand that a HAPPYINTERPRETER will deliver "Quality Customer service for the benefit of both Client and LLs with less turnover.

Advice to Management

Listen to the INTERPRETER keep him/her comfortable and happy on the job and fairly compensated, so the interpreter does not have continually look for jobs with other companies, and results will come without much effort