LanguageLine Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

LanguageLine Solutions Reviews

Updated May 16, 2017

Pros
  • Work from home as a FT/PT with set hrs, or contractor who determines your own hours (in 210 reviews)

• Work at home - no need to commute during bad weather (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits for part time employees (in 49 reviews)

• Low pay compare to other companies in the industry (in 47 reviews)

"over the phone interpreter"

Current Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

Pros

get good experience working for different clients that would enrich your knowledge. I loved working as an interpreter and I was working in another company that was bought by LLS and ended up working for them

Cons

very low salary pay that would never change no matter how many years you work for them. They ask to do other things like testing, translating and recording test without any incentive for the extra things you do. worked with them for almost eight years and my pay stayed as is $11.50. They ask us to get internet service to accommodate the company new need and refused to compensate the employees for it.

Advice to Management

Take care of your interpreters because they are the only power the company has and they can easily change your success into a big failure

"Interpreter"

Current Employee - Interpreter in San Juan, PR
    Current Employee - Interpreter in San Juan, PR

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Work from home.
    2) Good health plan

Cons

1) Very low pay
    2) No Holidays off
    3) Vacation time is not clear on the paycheck or on the online resource for the interpreter schedule
    4) Give you a run around when personal information is needed (vacations, sick days)
    5) Issues are not resolved on time. Have to send email for everything and the emails do not get answered on a time or do not get answered at all.
    6) Only 30 minutes break with no chance to change it.
    7) Can't take bathroom break without getting harassed within 3 minutes of being disconnect to connect back.
    8) Extremely low pay for the level of sensitivity of some calls that can get recorded to be used in court for criminal cases or Health related lawsuits.

Advice to Management

Take into account the level of sensitivity and technicality of the calls being handle to set the pay rate for interpreters specially for those with an extremely high call volume. Also consider setting aside the essential holidays so interpreters can spend more time with family and friends.

"Portuguese Interpreter"

Former Employee - Portuguese Phone Interpreter in Taunton, MA
    Former Employee - Portuguese Phone Interpreter in Taunton, MA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Language Line gave me my very first interpreter full-time job in the USA.

Cons

1- Horrible pay. They scheduled me for a bunch of holidays and never paid me time and a half!!!
    2- They offered me health insurance that didn't meet the minimum requirement of my state. Basically I didn't have health insurance and now I have a lot of medical bills. They also "forgot" to pay my health insurance for 2 weeks and never solved the problem when I received a bill in my house. I went to the doc's office thinking I had health insurance, but I didn't.
    3- When I started my maternity leave, they stopped paying my insurance. NO ONE never helped me solved the issue, I had to spend months talking to the insurance company to try to solve it.
    4- HR doesn't have a phone number, they take 2 weeks to reply your e-mails. You have NO support.
    5- There is no team work, because there is no team.
    5- The call agents are extremely unhappy and rude. They keep sending you wrong calls, even though the client specifies the language and dialect. It was a nightmare! I was in it to be able to get experience and leave as soon as I could.

Advice to Management

I cannot give any advice to the management because it doesn't exist!!!

"Interpreter"

Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work from home. That's the only good thing.

Cons

They don't care at all about employees. Treat us like machines. Poor pay. NO communication. Overall rating is LESS then one star but you have to put at least one.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and take care of them. That is who is making the money. Stop with all the systems and treat people like people.

"employees or paid slaves?"

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

Pros

working from home saves commute time

Cons

No benefits!!!! No sick days! They somehow got away with not providing employees with health insurance despite the health reform law. You work your butt off like a sweatshop and get paid almost minimum wage. The communication is absolutely terrible! They have no consideration for anything, let alone their employees. No employee is treated like a human being. They have this thing called the GM plan which seems like it was created by lucifer himself. I could go on till tomorrow ranting about this company. STAY AWAY!

Advice to Management

Realise that after the emancipation proclamation in 1863 you can no longer have slaves of any kind... Because that's how you treat your employees.

"Waste of time"

Former Employee - Interpreter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Interpreter in Houston, TX

Pros

Eeh...flexibility. But that is it.

Cons

No interest in employees or whatsoever. This company does not invest in you at alll. They just could not care less.

Advice to Management

As most managers are treaded like a piece of crap them selves I understand that they must feel misserable too. Quit and run!

"Most demanding sweatshop labor you can imagine!"

Former Employee - Spanish Medical Interpreter -work At Home in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - Spanish Medical Interpreter -work At Home in Monterey, CA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work from home if you meet their strict requirements. They provide training and support for people interested in entering the interpretation field.

Cons

This company takes advantage of entry level and inexperienced interpreters. They pay minimum wage for a job that is billed at $45-$60 an hour while demanding that same level of quality work. They only pay for the time you're actively working, so if there's a slow day or a holiday, you might not be able to make your rent this month. Over all, just glad I got certified and learned how badly they had taken advantage of my skills.

Advice to Management

Think about the quality of work you're demanding,then think about how much you're paying. Then adjust your demands accordingly.

"Ok company"

Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter in El Paso, TX
    Former Employee - Spanish Interpreter in El Paso, TX

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits Easiest job ever Friends

Cons

Everything else! Management is a joke. Not worth it

Advice to Management

Be more empathetic to your employees needs and be available

"Interpret all incoming calls without omitting any information."

Current Employee - Medical Specialized Interpreter in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Medical Specialized Interpreter in Bronx, NY

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you get back to back calls you receive a decent paycheck.

Cons

Too much miscommunication from upper management. As work at home they were many issues, sometimes calls were not coming in, causing many frustrations between the employees. We had a interpreter portal that allowed us to communicate and read posts and had access to reference guide materials but the lack of communication of changes that were being made in the company was extreme, causing a negative impact on paychecks all the time.
    Also I was A "MSI' Medical Specialized Interpreter" but interpreted for ALL industries; government, finance, utilities, 911, legal, EVERYTHING.

Advice to Management

Recognize and motivate your employees with bonuses, the company charges their clients a lot of money, while the employees deal with many challenges and difficult situations. Not recognized, nothing. Also I got laid laid off while I was working I received an email not even a decent phone call. I couldn't even finish my call the way I was supposed to because I was so shocked the email I received telling me my services were no longer needed and for me not to login tomorrow (yeah they didn't even tell me with not even with a 30 day period notice or anything, just one day in advance notice).

"Terrible company. Stay away."

Former Employee - Interpreter in Del Rey Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Interpreter in Del Rey Oaks, CA

Pros

There is absolutely nothing good about this greedy company whatsoever.

Cons

Beware:You need to monitor the call length on the Call History Board. The CHB does not display the end time of calls you interpret. LLS does not expose end time of calls to interpreters and refuses to show actual proof of call length to interpreters. You will be writing tickets in pursuit of call length corrections and correct payment for your services. Many of your tickets will be rejected. You will be routinely short-changed. If you demand payment for vanished minutes/calls, you will be punished with a reduced call volume. If you continue to submit tickets and insist on payment, you will be terminated. In addition, you will be subjected to abuse calls of all kinds. Those calls do not originate from real clients usually. They are internal calls, to intimidate interpreters, under the disguise of quality control. Some other abuse calls are meant to purely abuse for unknown reasons, or to discourage ticket submissions. I do not recommend working for this company.

"LLS alleges that it has computer glitches that shorten/eliminate calls which have been interpreted. If interpreters don't compare their call length records to the call length records on LLS' Intranet Call Board, which displays interpreted calls, interpreters will not know that they are routinely loosing payments due to alleged computer glitches, which never add minutes/calls, but always shorten/eliminate. The glitches err only in one direction. Also, the Call History Board never displays the end time of a call. LLS' response to the lack of end time of calls on the Call History Board: LLS calculates the call length for interpreters, thus interpreters don't need to calculate call length; therefore exposing the end time of calls on the Call History Board is not necessary. When LLS is asked to deliver proof of call length to the interpreter, LLS refuses to show any documents that may prove actual call length. Contesting call length is limited to writing tickets on the Call History Board ticket system. Interpreters submit tickets in pursuit of call length correction and correct payment. Rejecting tickets has become LLS' preferred response increasingly, thus many interpreted minutes/calls remain unpaid. Given the fact that LLS has over 5,000 interpreters, the losses for interpreters amount to severe volumes, whereas LLS states that LLS had computer glitches for decades and LLS makes no promise as per when or if the alleged computer glitches would be ever fixed. Some past/present LLS employees/contractors stated that they never figured out how LLS calculated the minutes they interpreted. Mystery was one of the comments in this regard. They also stated they never were able to obtain explanations regarding such mysteries. My explanation is that the difference in interpreted minutes and paid minutes generates a profit somewhere. If you interpret for 16 minutes and get paid only for a few seconds, the difference translates into a profit obviously. LLS alleges clients pay for minutes interpreted, but LLS refuses to show such bills. When over 5,000 interpreters are affected by these ongoing losses, the amount of glitch-based profit would be possibly in the Millions. No payments, or at best late payments to interpreters for vanished minutes/calls, whereas this has been going on for years, produce some exorbitant profit. Post your experience here please, so we can compare. Another issue needing exposure here is that LLS has allegedly some abuse callers who call from the UK, Canada, and the USA to abuse female interpreters on the phone by pretending to be a police officer. Interpreters have been informed only about 1 alleged abuse caller from the UK however, not several callers calling from several countries. These abuse callers may happen to know a few private things about the interpreter they target and express profanities and threats to the interpreter in his/her language, though with a foreign accent. These abuse callers also happen to know confidential information of police stations' ID numbers with LLS. When LLS is asked how these alleged abuse callers know such confidential information that is available only to staff members of LLS, LLS states that these callers must be either past or present police station employees. This would mean that there is a group of alleged male ex or current employees of police stations in the UK, Canada, and the USA, who know confidential ID number information with LLS and police stations and call LLS to abuse female interpreters. To me, this does not make any sense, and LLS' explanations do not add up. Is it possible that LLS itself stages these calls, to abuse selected female interpreters Until proven otherwise, I think this is a very valid possibility. What would be the purpose of abusing selected interpreters Intimidated interpreters would not dare to write tickets perhaps Or is there an obscene person at LLS who enjoys these kinds of activities Post your experience please, so we can share information. Others stated that they work in LLS' sweatshops for minimal pay, such as less than $ 4,00 per hour. LLS outsourced its Spanish language coverage to Panama, Dominican Republic, and Puerto Rico precisely for extreme profit reasons. This translates into exploitation of foreign labor force, no doubt. The solution to this problem might be unionizing and collective actions to improve work conditions and wages. Social networking is an excellent tool that can be utilized for such goals. Unfair labor practices, fraud, and abuse can be stopped when appropriate actions are planned and practiced. Thank you very much for reading."

Advice to Management

The management needs to be replaced altogether.