LanguageLine Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

LanguageLine Solutions Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work from home as a FT/PT with set hrs, or contractor who determines your own hours (in 210 reviews)

• Work at home - no need to commute during bad weather (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • No benefits for part time employees (in 49 reviews)

• Low pay compare to other companies in the industry (in 47 reviews)

"No Support"

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the job, love helping people. That part of the job is great.

Cons

No support of any kind. No Information. Constant system down.

Advice to Management

Offer support.

"Worst company to work for. At least one of them."

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter

Pros

Work from home. That is it.

Cons

Where should I start!! Bad pay, NO pay hike in SIX years, Supervisor pushes questions to other departments, getting a day off is impossible, constant monitoring but no Bonus, no increments...while they keep on buying other similar companies. Their profit $$s are great though, just no respect for the people that let them do what they do. Basically nothing but a regular salary which one can not survive on. Period.

Advice to Management

Who will listen! Huh!

"Second-Class Employer"

Former Employee - Interpreter in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Interpreter in Miami, FL

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time

Pros

No commutes, which balances the little salary you get paid for ALL you are expected to do.

Cons

-Company does not provide any type of paid benefits such as; sick days, vacation time, family leave, etc...and whenever a day off is required it could count as an occurrence, even with a doctor's note.
    -Very little consideration and empathy for employees

Advice to Management

If you want excellency in service, provide better treatment to your employees, otherwise you will only provide mediocracy to your clients.

"Going from bad to worse"

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Able to work from home.

Cons

They pay minimum wage, no benefits, no response from the managers, a lot of technical problems, unsolved issues with payroll, and nobody cares.

Advice to Management

Answer your phones, return our calls, or at least, respond to our emails. Show some respect.

"A job for some pocket money if you don't have to really work; good to get foot in the door..."

Former Employee - Interpreter
    Former Employee - Interpreter

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to be an interpreter and have little to no experience, don't worry, LLS will hire you, and you can train there, figure out if the job is for you, and in the mean time look for another job with the acquired experience. I was a student getting my MA degree, and needed a job, and time for school, so this was great, it also kept my native language alive. I gained a lot of experience on almost any field of life. It's a great opportunity to keep your brain active and react fast, sometimes under pressure when you interpret for courts, for example. The rest is just downright bad.

Cons

1. You realize that you're being treated as a second rate disposable tiny part in the huge system.
    2. No benefits.
    3. Low pay.
    4. You have to communicate with a lot of ignorant people, just imagine that at your job you have to talk to Peggy a bank employee, outsourced from Bombay, who only speaks scripted language, and THAT language you have to interpret to a deaf 90 year old immigrant who can barely remember her age, yet just keeps screaming just because.
    5. You get sick, your phone line is down, you really want to pee and can't wait until your break (only 2, or even 1 break in 5 hours!) - it all counts against you!
    6. They mostly hire immigrants who desperate to find a job. They're just fluent in two languages, maybe even just in one language and speak some English but most of them are NOT interpreters.
    7. The company really cares if you're polite, it doesn't care about the quality of your interpretation.

Advice to Management

Write a resignation letter. You fail to manage this business every day. Stop paying yourself benefits, you did not deserve them.

"Terrible company to work for"

Former Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter in Washington, DC

Pros

1. Work from home
    2. Only good thing about the new system they put everyone one - you get to see everyone is on the same boat and we are all being taking advantage of by the company.
    3. They will hire you again because the turnover rate is so high.
    5. You learn valuable life lessons from all sorts of calls you are getting each day.

Cons

1. Low per minute pay rate, the system will not record your minutes and good luck trying to get paid for the missing minutes.
    2. No benefits and no paid holiday or sick days. You do not get paid extra for working on holidays. They will schedule you even though you send in a request specifically ask to be taken off the schedule.
    2. Scheduled hours - no flexibility. They will nail you if you don't log into the system on time. No flexibility. If you have any urgent matters to attend to, they won't let you shift your work hours around.
    3. Terrible management - a support request takes a month to get any reply. If you do get a reply, it solves nothing. Then you file another support request... wait for another month...
    4. Quality control - senior language specialist will listen to your calls and give you harsh feedback that makes you feel total worthless.
    5. Headquarter staff - I have yet to come across any pleasant staff that truly go extra miles to help interpreters. All the correspondences I received from headquarters are extremely bureaucratic. What do you expect? When you have a management basically treat its interpreters as disposable asset, the operations staff don't care your problems either.

Advice to Management

I hope you know that your interpreters should be your biggest assets. I receive more appreciation from the clients and LEPs.

"Stay away if you can"

Former Employee - Non-spanish All-call Interpreter in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Non-spanish All-call Interpreter in Atlanta, GA

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Can work on your own time (if you are a contractor)
    - Minimal travel: work from home
    - Some training provided
    - You get a job: better than nothing.

Cons

- You are stuck at home: basically there was no holiday or vacation offered by the company. First day of orientation, I was told the company works 24/7. Hence, if you are scheduled to work on holidays, you can change your preference but it is not guaranteed that you won't work on holidays.
    - No vacation paid, if you would like to take the time off, you have to plan ahead and use up your UTO (unpaid time off), which is very limited. You get 3 days off after 3 months and 10 days off after 6 months.
    - Minimal health benefits to satisfy the Obama mandate. Even if you are an employee, the "health benefit" was offered without any employer subsidize.
    - Lack of true support from management: there was not a direct employer to oversee any problem arises with employees. If there is any problem, the employee would have to contact to the respective department that handle the problem
    - Rigid schedule: while an employee has the theoretical rights of changing schedule (approval is continent and is based on business needs). No one knows what the "business needs" are and there is not a possibility to negotiate for a different schedule if you are stuck on some commitments. Three times I attempted to ask for a schedule change, three times I was rejected and told that at this moment, we appreciate your valuable coverage as it is.
    - Vague commitment to serve and explain from management
    - Vague payroll structure and I had no idea how they pay us or if all the minutes were added up correctly.

Advice to Management

Please work as interpreter before becoming management. It is sucked being tricked and cheated.

"working home"

Pros

working home no need to drive

Cons

hard to change working hrs

"worst ever"

Current Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Over the Phone Interpreter in San Jose, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

None, just working from home.

Cons

Run like plantation, low pay ( minimum wage), no access to any manager or department, no benefits. It was known for providing a good training. Not any more, Run as a plantation.

Advice to Management

No advice, it fells on deaf ears.

"Terrible company"

Current Employee - Interpreter
    Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

whoever says this is a good company to work for needs a reality check.

Cons

they mess up the new system big time. some interpreters get zero calls while others are swamped by calls. They pay incorrectly, my last paycheck showed only 39 hours of work when i worked 80 hours in that two weeks. I've been sending support requests about this, God knows when someone will respond to them. Not happy at all.

Advice to Management

just remember that you need us more than we need you