LanguageLine Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

LanguageLine Solutions Reviews

Updated December 10, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work from home; excellent training; retirement plan; rewarding: I worked with people from different cultures (in 252 reviews)

• get to work from home - no commute, pays on time (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay considering skills required to perform well (in 57 reviews)

• No benefits for part time employees (in 54 reviews)

"Chaos management system,very low payment,lack of good communicate way with the company"

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time

Pros

could work from home,no commune,no making up,no dressing up.

Cons

Feel so lonely to be an employee of this company, all you can do is sitting at home during that 8 hours,call after call,some times, the LEP are totally out of control, told some long long long story which is not relative what they are calling for, some times,the client(English speakers are so rude,or aggressive),one time, I experience one client said she could not understand what I was saying at all after I talked those opening words,those are just simple "Thank you for calling,this is someboy,ID number...something like these",I apologized for that,then ask her if she wants to change to another interpreter or she needs me to repeat that opening words again super slowly,then I repeat that one word by one word.
    the paystub likes alien's symbols,hard to understand, you may be never know what those money come from, what if they missed any minutes to pay.Once you have some issues or you have some questions about payment need to be clarified,it is hardly to get a feedback.All you can do is submit "request report"from the portal, but not for sure if it would give you a directly and clear answer.It will make you exhausted to play around with them.

Advice to Management

Interpreters is the most important part of the company, you do need to take good care of them.Learn how to appreciate.

"They Pay Minimum Wage in USA"

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in San Diego, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work from home - but so are many other interpreter agencies/companies

Cons

I have been with the company for 2 years. I have the highest level (all calls interpreter). The company routes the calls in such way, that you get only a few calls a day, which equals a "guaranteed pay" for non-hourly employees... I have been making less money than if I work in McDonalds. And I have to interpret complex medical calls, court proceedings and stressful calls of all kinds. It is truly pathetic and unacceptable. I read some good comments about the company - trust me, you will be disappointed. The company has a intranet where interpreters make comments like on facebook - it is nothing but rage and disappointments. All Languages, All types of interpreters. Please beware. It is supposed to be #1 company - it is a slave factory. Class A Lawsuit is coming their way no doubt.

Advice to Management

Greed shall destroy you.

"Do not even think of working for them"

Current Employee - Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

working at home that's it

Cons

whatever your problem will be you won't get an answer. Clients not respectful, management not respectful. You will get a feeling of being nobody instead of feeling helpful (even if your coach give you great evaluations). I have been charged for the phone calls made under their new platform (I am talking of hundred of dollars) and no refund from them, they keep saying I am not dialing out properly but can't tell me what I am supposedly going wrong. I know I am following their process and it was overall a very bad experience. I don't recommend this company whatever your level of motivation is while you are considering this job. I quit today.

Advice to Management

Keep going, you are the worst I've never experienced. You will certainly receive an award for the worst company

"Better Than Being Unemployed and Homeless"

Current Employee - Freelance Interpreter in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Freelance Interpreter in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you have no other work opportunity it is very comfortable to stay at home and waiting for their calls. You will be exposed to lot's of different situations in a very safe way. They usually pay on time, and apparently fairly, in my impression. Flexibility: you can decide over your schedule.
    If you start working with the cons in mind, it may be a useful learning experience.

Cons

Even before the IT Dept. took over the company, around the end of last year, it was kind Kafkaian experience working for them. There was no more communication between the company and the interpreters than the paycheck, reproval and eventual training.
    Since the IT took over it is almost a hallucinatory experience. They are clueless regarding the work and characteristics of interpreters, but they created a "sophisticated system" that classify the interpreters and the calls. the new system is completely dysfunctional. In addition to their incompetence, they treat interpreters as blue collar, uneducated workforce - they only have management experience in that type practices.
    They send out nonsense e-mails; a smart fifth grader would understand that those have meaning and real content. They created the complete chaos and financial hardship in the life of hundreds of interpreters
    The accounting system is not transparent: no list of calls that you could compare with your notes, but this is the least.
    The head of IT Dept considers himself a visionary. Hitler considered himself too...

Advice to Management

Impossible: they are backward and autistic

"Just bad and getting worst!"

Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - All-call Interpreter in Dallas, TX

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home. no uniform no coworkers

Cons

If you are an employee ,you get minimum pay (per your state) its next to impossible to change your schedule (although at first they insist that that is something that could be easily done about once at least a year which is absolutely no the case) even temp schedule changes are very hard to get approved.

If you get hired, get ready to work in the dark! Interpreters are never notified of any changes or expectations and you usually hear about these supposed "rules" or whatnot WHEN you are in trouble for not following them.

Also, everything gets blamed on interpreter.Angry clients, long waits. Bad connection.Calls dropping, calls not coming in. Lines not working, system not working, you name it, it is on us.

Sure you save money on gas/car maintenance and clothes, but you don't make enough for those "savings" to be seen. Plus you need to supply your own needs as an interpreter (paper and boy will you need paper!,pens/markers for board etc)

Another thing that really really upsets me is that the system just got changed and now we have more responsibilities and they claim they cannot afford an increase .I know it takes money to do a change like this magnitude, but they did not do it because they will lose money right? that's not even what upsets me, we were told we will not need computers to work the new system, but the new system is so bad that it literally logs you off on every other call making it impossible to really get those minutes in. You constantly need to be looking at a screen to make sure you are still there and available to them. We also have many issues with the new system and to report them we need access to the internet and a computer/device which they said we didn't so they wont have to reimburse the cost
    (we get 11 every pay check to "reimburse" us for the phone line)

Some employees on other countries got transferred to another system and they did get a computer and phone and all the necessary equipment to be able to work appropriately, which just adds insult to injury.

Advice to Management

Don't be so cheap and unfair with US the employees, because we make LLS!

"Telephonic Interpreter"

Former Employee - Mandarin Interpreter
    Former Employee - Mandarin Interpreter

I worked at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Several different tests, online testing and over the phone testing. Yes, when they try to screen for your qualification, they do work hard for it to make sure you are eligible to work for this job.

Cons

Pay was supposed to be $0.4 per minutes, but Language Line has it own way of calculation; such as if the call did not last for an hour, you won't get $0.4 per minute. They pay you the minimum wage of each state. VA is $7.25 so if I did not get enough minutes within an hour, I will get only $7.25. If I have receive call over $7.25, but under one hour, there will be another way of caculation to pay me. After 2 months of work, I realized I only get $10 per hour as a professional, skillful and well-trained interpreter. I can not believe it. I resigned fromt his company and found another company who is willing to pay me $0.70 per minute. This is not a company to work for. When they need you, they want you to meet their requirement. But when you need their help, no one is there for you. When I asked for leave, it was so hard that several different department kick me back and forth like a ball. And keep talking about a internet machine Impact 360. But that machine or software is designed to say "no" to you when you need to have a day off. Interpreter help desk is a joke. The person who is there to answer the call several of them have very strong accent. Every time when I call, i have to wait for 30-40 minutes to have a live person answer me. They are so strick that no leave is allow unless something big happen, but you need to offer proof. Overwhelmed you with work (I worked as a Mandarin interpreter 6 hours a day and the calls were nonestop), but the pay was lousy.

Advice to Management

Have a person who can connect all different department together. Not like now....none of department talks to each other and keep pushing issue to one another. Treat your professional interpreter with better pay. Otherwise, you will always looking for interpreter. Don't treat your employees (interpreter are your money making machines) so cheap.

"Telephone Interpreter"

Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA
    Current Employee - Interpreter in Monterey, CA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at home, No need for dress up

Cons

Low pay rate considering interpreters are required to be very professional, sophisticated to interact with other high level professionals in various field, and many occasions, subject matters are complex, serious, sensitive. The employer squeezes every drop of use out of interpreters

Advice to Management

How much time do you have?

"Just a very hard company to work for."

Pros

be able to work from home.

Cons

bad communication.
    company controlling the workload.
    bad payment.
    no support, not interested in working staffs

Advice to Management

I haven't had support at all while working for 6 years.

"Blood sucking company,stay away from LLS"

Current Employee - Contracted Interpreter in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Contracted Interpreter in Columbus, GA

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions (More than 5 years)

Pros

you can work from home

Cons

they have no respect for their employees.
    you might loose the job or contract any time without any prior notice.
    constant change.

Advice to Management

Please treat your employees right.If you keep on doing this LLS will soon loose the market and they will see the end of their monopoly business.
    I worked for Pacific Interpreters,it was such a good company and LLS bought this company when they saw it was doing good.Ever since the merging they took our peace away.Every year they make change and give us stress in so many ways.It is like working with constant threat.They used us at the time of their need and they threw us to the garbage now.Just to keep the big clientele of Pacific interpreters they kept us for two years.I wonder why this company is still getting contract from so many hospitals,911,immigration and other reputed organisations.How do you think an interpreter will help people with so many problem when they themselves are in pain and stress.

"one of the worst companies to work for."

Current Employee - Interpreter
    Current Employee - Interpreter

I have been working at LanguageLine Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home and somewhat flexible schedule.

Cons

Lowest pay rate paid to interpreters
    Management is useless and arrogant
    No pay raise ever no matter how good you are.
    They charge $3.95 a minute but pay the interpreter $0.40 only.

Advice to Management

Respect the interpreters for what they do because you are nothing without them.