Lanyon Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Bonnette

Pros
  • It is a great place for rapid growth for new careers and great people to work with (in 14 reviews)

• Casual work environment, Lots of opportunities to learn (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management works hard but lower levels don't seem to have buy in (in 10 reviews)

• They have high expectations with low pay (in 9 reviews)

"Not bad. I knew what I signed up for."

Former Employee - Development in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Development in Dallas, TX

I worked at Lanyon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Relaxed work environment
    - Mostly friendly co-workers
    - Good office location
    - Good place to pad your resume with new skills

Cons

- Products are aging and need updating badly.
    - Upper management disconnected from day to day. Micromanaging at times. Very knee-jerk reactive to problems instead of listening to middle management advice.
    - Lay offs pretty frequently. You could be on the chopping block without warning.
    - No one seems to really embrace the weird and often forced "culture" except the people who are just trying to brown nose their way up the ladder. Let the culture happen naturally.
    - Lots of younger "HPEL" employees that treat work like a school project instead of a job. Mostly a good group, but lack professionalism at times.

Advice to Management

Let your managers manage their people. Stack rank is silly and the way its done is fundamentally and mathematically flawed.

"Good place for young people new to the workforce."

Former Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Dallas, TX

I worked at Lanyon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lanyon was a great place to start my career. I learned a lot, and was lucky to be on a team that encouraged each other and actually cared about it's employees career development. The culture was awesome for a young professional. The work/life balance was great, and the environment was fun and energetic.

Cons

The C-level management was lacking and never seemed to know what to do to grow the business - which led to the business remaining stagnant. There wasn't much opportunity for promotion, and compensation was absolutely terrible. I only stayed as long as I did because of the environment and the work/life balance. It was definitely a trade-off between work/life and pay.

Advice to Management

None - the company has been merged with Cvent and most of the management that I knew is now gone. I think the company will do fine now that it has new management...

"In the midst of change"

I have been working at Lanyon full-time

Pros

Currently merging with our previously largest competitor, positioning the company well in the industry.

Cons

In the midst of merger - so much ambiguity. (Could also be a pro!)

"Merge, Merge, Merge"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Lanyon (More than a year)

Pros

Young co-workers, energetic environment, "work hard, play hard", opportunity for advancement if you kick butt, great workplace in downtown Dallas, good benefits.

Cons

Company constantly acquiring/merging with other companies, causing a lot of uncertainty and havoc. Some roles are not clearly defined. If you don't perform, you're out. Low starting salaries. Some disconnect between C-Level and everyone else.

Advice to Management

Try and make transitions with the acquisitions/mergers smoother.

"Probably too challenging for most people"

Current Employee - Development in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Development in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Lanyon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the record, this is not a fake review posted by someone in HR. I am a real employee, I've been here over two years, and I'd like to provide a reality check for anyone who's interested in this company, which is about to become Cvent. The Dallas office will remain largely intact.

I started out at entry level and over the course of two years have worked my butt off and been promoted twice. I am now a "mid-level manager." So in response to the reviewers who complain that advancement is only achieved by taking on way more than what you were hired to do, and working extra hours, and taking on things other people have let slip through the cracks, you're right. Duh. That's how you advance your career anywhere. Prove that you can do the job at the next level, and position yourself to become indispensable, and you will be promoted. Wake up. That's how you get promoted in any company, and Lanyon is no exception. They don't hand out promotions based on tenure, so if that's what you're expecting here or anywhere, you'll be sorely disappointed. Lanyon rewards excellence, not average performance. And "average" at Lanyon is above average for the market, because it's tough to pass their assessment to even get an interview in the first place.

As for the "Oz" culture, if you hate it, you don't belong here. Yes it's formulaic and awkward, but fundamentally it's designed to make sure that every employee understands what is valued in the company, which means that demonstrating those core values will lead to your success here. And one would hope that every company valued working together, being accountable, being aligned with company goals, driving continuous improvements, and developing yourself professionally. Yes a lot of money was invested in this program, which means a lot of money was invested in making sure that everyone here understands what to expect from their colleagues and what their colleagues and managers expect of them. The top priority is Organizational Health, and this program is just one way to get there. It's not perfect, but the fact that our executive leadership is dedicated to it (financially and personally) speaks volumes about where their priorities are. Not a lot of companies put their money where their mouth is when it comes to org health.

Finally, in response to the complaints that leadership doesn't listen. They do. There are town halls. Feedback is welcomed. Suggestions are welcomed. People are recognized for strong performance based on input by everyone in the company. Everyone has an open-door policy. Management, especially our executive team, does listen. They do not, however, implement every suggestion that is offered. Nor can they respond to complaints that are given anonymously, otherwise they would. Just because an idea doesn't get acted on, that doesn't mean the input wasn't valued or welcomed. There's a difference.

This company is full of very bright, very talented, very wonderful, very positive and motivated people at all levels. Yes some departments are happier than others, and I recommend finding people who work in the department you'd apply to to see how they feel about it. No company is perfect, but from what I can tell from the super negative reviews here, those people are people I wouldn't want to work with anyway. At some point, you've got to take responsibility for your own attitude, and if that sucks, it's not going to matter where you work, because you'll think everywhere sucks.

And finally, salary. Every employee gets a bonus as part of their compensation, which is a huge plus, and a lot of the complaints on here are just looking at salary. Plus there's an additional, very generous bonus if your are a truly outstanding employee. And as I mentioned, if you are used to being at the top of your class, your career trajectory will be steep and you will quickly (1-3 years) outgrow a higher starting salary elsewhere, for a much greater long-term ROI.

Cons

The pay is not stellar, but it's at the market median for the vast majority of roles, so if money is more important to you than working for a healthy, fun company, that could be an issue.

For a single person, healthcare is dead average for the marketplace and on par with AHA pricing. But bonuses for *everyone* do help defray the cost of the deductible.

The matching on the 401K is 1% up to 4% of your salary, so that's extremely lean.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. If people don't like a culture that focuses on treating everyone with respect and holding one another accountable no matter what our titles are, or if they are unhappy because of their own bad attitude, so be it. It's their loss that they don't recognize how lucky we are to have a sane executive leadership team that is able to balance growing a business with providing a great place to work, great people to work with, and an employee-centered culture.

"A Springboard"

Current Employee - Developer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Developer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Lanyon full-time

Pros

There are good people, occasionally fun projects, and ample opportunities to learn new things and develop skills and experience.

Cons

There is lower-than-average pay with high expectations and few resources. Opportunities to really take charge of things are easy to ignore when the effort to take charge feels like it would not be valued.

Advice to Management

We are going through some changes, since the merger. I understand, but I'd like fewer "I don't know" or "I cannot say at this time" type of answers to certain questions.

8. "Great Place"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Lanyon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to learn and hone your skills

Cons

Can be a little time intensive

"Avoid"

I worked at Lanyon full-time

Pros

Generally good people and a fun environment.

Cons

Management doesn't live the culture it advocates. Not enough feedback.

"DO NOT WORK HERE!"

Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Lanyon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I made a couple good friends working at Lanyon - we really bonded talking about how miserable the company is

Cons

Where to begin. Next to no benefits. Low pay. Staff morale couldn't be lower. Leadership has no interest in the growth and livelihood of their employees. Leadership couldn't decide what direction to take the company. Most of all, the job itself SUCKS. People yelling at you for how bad the product sucks. Seriously, I promise you - you don't want to work here...

Advice to Management

Resign.

"Lanyon Lanyon Lanyon"

I have been working at Lanyon full-time

Pros

If you live in Dallas then you are doing well.

Cons

It seems that this company is falling victim to the VC buy and flip without regard for the employee culture outside of the center of excellence (Dallas). The organizational health is at an all-time low and they do not hire any senior engineers making development agility very difficult.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees more. Make time for them. They are what will make or break your future.