Lanyon Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 30, 2019

2.6
David Bonnette

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Generally good people and a fun environment" (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Health insurance deductible is ridiculously high" (in 6 reviews)

• "Very knee-jerk reactive to problems instead of listening to middle management advice" (in 5 reviews)

"Probably too challenging for most people"

Current Employee - Development in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Development in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Lanyon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For the record, this is not a fake review posted by someone in HR. I am a real employee, I've been here over two years, and I'd like to provide a reality check for anyone who's interested in this company, which is about to become Cvent. The Dallas office will remain largely intact.

I started out at entry level and over the course of two years have worked my butt off and been promoted twice. I am now a "mid-level manager." So in response to the reviewers who complain that advancement is only achieved by taking on way more than what you were hired to do, and working extra hours, and taking on things other people have let slip through the cracks, you're right. Duh. That's how you advance your career anywhere. Prove that you can do the job at the next level, and position yourself to become indispensable, and you will be promoted. Wake up. That's how you get promoted in any company, and Lanyon is no exception. They don't hand out promotions based on tenure, so if that's what you're expecting here or anywhere, you'll be sorely disappointed. Lanyon rewards excellence, not average performance. And "average" at Lanyon is above average for the market, because it's tough to pass their assessment to even get an interview in the first place.

As for the "Oz" culture, if you hate it, you don't belong here. Yes it's formulaic and awkward, but fundamentally it's designed to make sure that every employee understands what is valued in the company, which means that demonstrating those core values will lead to your success here. And one would hope that every company valued working together, being accountable, being aligned with company goals, driving continuous improvements, and developing yourself professionally. Yes a lot of money was invested in this program, which means a lot of money was invested in making sure that everyone here understands what to expect from their colleagues and what their colleagues and managers expect of them. The top priority is Organizational Health, and this program is just one way to get there. It's not perfect, but the fact that our executive leadership is dedicated to it (financially and personally) speaks volumes about where their priorities are. Not a lot of companies put their money where their mouth is when it comes to org health.

Finally, in response to the complaints that leadership doesn't listen. They do. There are town halls. Feedback is welcomed. Suggestions are welcomed. People are recognized for strong performance based on input by everyone in the company. Everyone has an open-door policy. Management, especially our executive team, does listen. They do not, however, implement every suggestion that is offered. Nor can they respond to complaints that are given anonymously, otherwise they would. Just because an idea doesn't get acted on, that doesn't mean the input wasn't valued or welcomed. There's a difference.

This company is full of very bright, very talented, very wonderful, very positive and motivated people at all levels. Yes some departments are happier than others, and I recommend finding people who work in the department you'd apply to to see how they feel about it. No company is perfect, but from what I can tell from the super negative reviews here, those people are people I wouldn't want to work with anyway. At some point, you've got to take responsibility for your own attitude, and if that sucks, it's not going to matter where you work, because you'll think everywhere sucks.

And finally, salary. Every employee gets a bonus as part of their compensation, which is a huge plus, and a lot of the complaints on here are just looking at salary. Plus there's an additional, very generous bonus if your are a truly outstanding employee. And as I mentioned, if you are used to being at the top of your class, your career trajectory will be steep and you will quickly (1-3 years) outgrow a higher starting salary elsewhere, for a much greater long-term ROI.

Cons

The pay is not stellar, but it's at the market median for the vast majority of roles, so if money is more important to you than working for a healthy, fun company, that could be an issue.

For a single person, healthcare is dead average for the marketplace and on par with AHA pricing. But bonuses for *everyone* do help defray the cost of the deductible.

The matching on the 401K is 1% up to 4% of your salary, so that's extremely lean.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. If people don't like a culture that focuses on treating everyone with respect and holding one another accountable no matter what our titles are, or if they are unhappy because of their own bad attitude, so be it. It's their loss that they don't recognize how lucky we are to have a sane executive leadership team that is able to balance growing a business with providing a great place to work, great people to work with, and an employee-centered culture.

2. "Meh Overall"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Lanyon full-time

Pros

Good people for the most part

Cons

Doesnt pay all that well

3. "Decent company but constrained but the parent equity company"

I have been working at Lanyon full-time

Pros

Strong exec leadership with lots of experience and good products.

Cons

The parent equity company has a certain way of doing things that is not employee centric which constrains the ability of the exec leadership.

4. "Could finally see the light!"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Lanyon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent leadership goals and programs
    Constant strife to be better
    Set on Organization Health within the company

Cons

Were still lots of toxic segments of the culture toward the end before the merger

Advice to Management

Merger and layoffs could have been handled 1000 times better than they were.

5. "Never Work Here. Seriously."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Lanyon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a cool office layout.

Cons

- Poor management
    - Incompetent leadership
    - Awful pay / benefits
    - Basically no health insurance
    - Toxic work culture
    - No room to move up in the company
    - 0 interest in employee development
    - Shows no loyalty to employees
    - Poor products

Advice to Management

Clean house starting at the top. Get individuals that can actually run a company. These employees deserve better than you.

6. "hopefully better management under Cvent"

I worked at Lanyon (More than 10 years)

Pros

none really, but maybe that has changed now

Cons

too many to list, but have heard life is much better now that they have been moved under the Cvent management team

7. "Great Starter Job"

I worked at Lanyon full-time

Pros

Good early experience for those just out of college.

Cons

Didn't do a good job hiring middle management. A lot of that particular tier of management was in over their heads.

Advice to Management

Offer more perks to fill in the middle tier of employee and management.

8. "Great cultural company"

I worked at Lanyon full-time

Pros

The people! Ability to take on extra projects, learn on the job opportunities.

Cons

Only one insurance option - no choices.

"Pro's and Con's of DBA / Bi - Will be put on Cvent's as well since the 2 are 1 company"

Former Employee - Database Developer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Database Developer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Lanyon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunity to learn caused by lack of experience in most DBA/Bi areas.
    - Good starting location for fresh out of college as the work is relatively easy
    - Most people are nice
    - Downtown is nice for those that like to ride the train into Dallas.

Cons

- Favoritism on team. Have mercy on you if you are critical of someone that the boss likes.
    - They promote once a year. If you are new (Associate) don't get your hopes up for the first 1.5 years. If you are intermediate, don't get your hopes up until 4-5 years of total experience until you can START having those conversations.
    - Lack of experience / willingness to learn what the industry is moving towards. (People pretended to learn but mostly would read an article and think they were subject matter experts)
    - Not uncommon for specific members to overstep their bounds to get ahead
    - Specific members work time: 90% facebook / youtube, 8% pretending to work, 2% actual work
    - Most bottlenecks was the team itself
    - 0 accountability.
    - No in office authority for the team
    - Inability to move on from consistently under performing team members but will jump on the opportunity to let go of those that disagree with a particular direction.
    - Belief the team should be completely self managed with little boss interaction (because that person isn't in office)
    - "Welcome to the team where the roles are made up and the titles don't matter"
    - Under paid. Left for lower position but got a 25%+ pay bump. "We pay the average" - False statement

Should say enough by now.

Advice to Management

Might I suggest - "Management 101: From hiring and firing to imparting new skills, an essential guide to management strategies" by Stephen Soudering. Given its only $15 might even be able to expense it.

10. "Account Manager"

I worked at Lanyon full-time

Pros

Prior to merger, great mid-level management, management investment in employees and career growth

Cons

Company was merged with Cvent